Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry

A Story by Brytt
"

-

"

She watches as the man across the road took out his garbage.  Her hair hangs around in a tangled mess, her blue glasses falling off her nose.  Carelessly, she tugs at a stray thread on her long, purple shirt, twisting it around her finger and cutting off the circulation.  Boredom as a killer, she tells herself, and she is trapped in this new neighborhood with nothing to do, nobody to talk to, and nowhere to go.  Yup, boredom is a killer.

She hears Not-Mom call her.  Come to the kitchen, she says.  It’s lunch time, she says.  The girl sighs.  Not-Mom has taken care of her for almost three years, since the girl was six.  The girl shakes her head, trying to push away the Accident in her mind.  She stands up and goes into the kitchen.  Not-Mom sets a plate of chicken fingers softly on the table in front of her.  The girl pokes blankly at them, detached from reality.  Not-Mom stays quiet, fearful of the small child.

They always say that the girl is special, but they do not know what she can really do.  The Accident had left her without a home, without a family, without a life.  But what really hurts, what kills her a little every day, is the fact that she is solely responsible for her current life.

She nibbles now on a small piece of the chicken.  Not-Mom relaxes, just a little, staying on her guard so that she does not upset the girl.  She wants to hold her, to tell her that it will all be okay, but she does not want to ruin everything.  She wants the girl to be a good person, but it is too hard for her to do.  Not-Mom hates this new life: the girl is not to be harmed, not to be upset, not to be let outside, and, most importantly, not to be corrupted.

Not-Mom watches the girl eat slowly, as if she is thinking hard.  Not-Mom thinks as she waits, thinks about telling the council to shove it.  She thinks about hiding the girl somewhere else, where they won’t find her, where she can lead a normal life.

They believe that by keeping her here they will be able to leave her innocent and happy.  But that isn’t true.  It isn’t true, and Not-Mom knows.

If they keep her like this, she tells herself, she will be the death of us all.

© 2011 Brytt


Author's Note

Brytt
Sketchy Idea: Please give critical response and advice!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay, so this little girl has some type of power that can kill people. Not-Mom has to try to make happy all the time, otherwise bad things happen. What she doesn't know is that the girl doesn't like Not-Mom. It seems there are two things that could happen with this: either A) the girl ditches Not-Mom and bad things happen to other people (and possibly herself) or B) Not-Mom grabs her, takes her to this "safe place" she knows about, and everything will be okay. I'm a little unsure whether you are saying Not-Mom would stay with her wherever Not-Mom wants to take her, or if Not-Mom hates the girl as much as the girl hates and plans on ditching her at the "safe place" that probably isn't so safe. Please clarify? Also, don't stick around that place too long, it seems like the girl really needs to go someplace else.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
1 Review
Added on May 5, 2011
Last Updated on May 5, 2011

Author

Brytt
Brytt

Britt, IA



About
Quotes From the Innermost Circle of the Fantasy World Known as My Mind: Irony: the graduation quote at my high school has been "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path .. more..

Writing