"Making Fun"

"Making Fun"

A Story by bsparks77
"

A group of friends home for spring break deal with personal crises.

"

“Making Fun”

By

Ben Sparks

 

“Did you find it?”

“No! I’ve looked everywhere!”

“Did you try by the fireplace?”

“Yes, I even checked in the ashes.”

“Umm, the attic? The basement? The garage?”

“They’re upside down and still nothing.”

“And you don’t remember the last time you saw it?”

“No, it was years ago. I know it’s in this house; my parents wouldn’t have thrown it away, trust me.”

“Well, we’ve looked everywhere. Maybe it isn’t here?”

Jeanette sighed, “Look I know it’s in here. We just have to keep looking.”

Mark felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and saw that his friend Spencer was calling him, “Hey Spencer, what’s up?”

 Jeanette went back upstairs to continue looking.

“Oh s**t, really? We’re kinda in the middle of something… Yes it’s important… We can be there in twenty minutes, alright? …Yeah, peace.”

Mark looked around and noticed Jeanette disappeared, “Jean!”

“I’m in my room!”

Mark walked up the stairs and made the left in to Jeanette’s room.

“That was Spencer. He needs us to go over his house, his brother’s in trouble.”

Jeanette sat on her bed with her head tucked between her arms. “You alright?” Mark asked.

Jeanette began to make short sobbing sounds, picking up one of her stuffed bears and throwing it across the room.

“No I’m not alright, d****t! That diary has the answer to everything in it. It’s my key to fame!”

Mark took a seat next to Jeanette and put his hand on her back, “What do you mean the key to your fame?”

Jeanette darted her eyes away from Mark’s, “Nothing. I just… I really need to find it. We’re only home for a few more days. The sooner the better.”

Years of best friendship with Jeanette had made Mark accustomed to her moods and her tantrums. She would get set on one specific thing and not be able to focus on anything else until it was accomplished. She, however, could not read Mark the same way. All their years as friends, and she had no idea of his feelings for her.

“Can’t we take a break and drive over to Spencer’s? He sounded like he was pretty upset about something too.”

“I guess. We can go for a bit but I need to get back to put the house back to normal before my parents get home.”

“Alright well, it’s two o’clock now. Today’s Thursday, so if they get home at four we can easily make it back in time.”

Jeanette sniffled and nodded in agreement. They both stood up and walked to Mark’s car; his hand stayed on her back the whole time.

Spencer’s house was only about ten minutes from Jeanette’s. But they had to drive through the main street of their town, which at two o’clock was very congested with buses and cars coming home from work.

“You know, I lost my favorite action figure when I was little. It was a Luke Skywalker toy. I had all the other Star Wars guys too, but naturally he was my favorite. I brought them with me one weekend when we went to visit our cousins in Jersey. When we got home I couldn’t find him and my mom called my aunt and she couldn’t find him anywhere in their house either.”

Jeanette did not respond.

“So you know, losing things sucks. Everyone knows that.”

Silence.

“There’s a George Carlin routine about it actually. He says people always make up excuses, like someone must’ve stole it, because they can’t admit that they could’ve been stupid enough to have lost something,” Mark chuckled. Jeanette shot him a look of contempt.

“Not that you’re stupid! Obviously this is different. Um… I’ll stop talking now.”

They pulled into Spencer’s driveway and he was there waiting by his front door. He ran frantically over to them as they got out of the car.

“Finally you guys are here! I don’t know what to do about little Joey.”

“Alright calm down,” said Mark, “What’s going on?”

Spencer took a deep breath, clenched his fist and winced his face, “I think Joey’s gay.”

Mark’s eyebrows raised up in astonishment, glancing over to Jeanette to read her expression, her face stayed as blank as ever. “That’s your emergency? You think your little brother, whose only thirteen years old, is gay?”

“Shhh! Not so loud,” said Spencer waving his hands up and down, “I couldn’t believe it either. I was using his laptop cause mine was dead, see, and I couldn’t find the charger. I went on Google to type in ‘Nickelback’ and what pops up? NAKED MEN. I’m thinking, ‘What the f**k?!’ I check his history: all filled with gay porn! I couldn’t even breathe! My own brother. My brother I’ve known since the day he was born.”

Mark cringed in disbelief. Slowly, he spoke the words, “Who are you?”

“C’mon, man. You know f**s always made me uncomfortable and whatever. F****n’ drama kids blowing each other in the theatre room. It’s just so wrong. But I always thought, ‘Whatever at least I don’t know anyone like that.’ And now! My own brother! Little Joey!”

“I don’t know whether to lecture you on how wrong the things you’re saying are or to just leave. I think we’re just gonna go,” Mark turned to walk back to his car.

“No, no, no, no, wait!” cried Spencer. “That’s not all. I really do think he’s in trouble.”

Mark looked back at him skeptically, “Oh what’s that? Is he going on a date with a guy?”

“Yes, actually! Just come inside I have to show you something.”

“Dude, I’m not going in to feed your paranoid homophobia cause you can’t handle the fact that you’re brother is gay.”

“No, no. You don’t understand. Joey is meeting some guy he met on the Internet. When I was on his computer I went snooping through his emails and he’s been in contact with some random guy named ‘HairyCareBear32’ at yahoo dot com. Gay or no gay I still have to look out for my little bro. He’s only twelve, he doesn’t know what he could be getting himself in to.”

Mark looked over to Jeanette, who still hadn’t moved a muscle, and then back to Spencer, “Well… as appalled as I am by your ignorant attitude, this situation does sound serious and I don’t want to see Joey get hurt.”

“Okay, now get off your horse and come inside,” the three of them walked into Spencer’s big white house. They lived in a small suburban town not far from New York City, a breeding ground for troubled yet sheltered youth. Mark considered himself unique because he was one of the few who actually felt guilty for all his born privileges.

“So where is Joey now?” Mark asked.

“That’s the thing. I don’t know,” started Spencer, “He usually gets home from school at one thirty, but it’s almost two thirty and he’s not here.”

“Could he have stayed after?”

“No, my mom would have had me pick him up. She won’t be home til five and my dad’s away on business.”

They walked upstairs where Joey’s laptop was still opened on Spencer’s desk. Spencer’s room smelled of week-old gym clothes and athletic gear. Lacrosse equipment scattered across the floor, along with wires for the xbox, TV, computer, and stereo.

Spencer pointed at the screen and said, “There! See! What the f**k…”

Mark sat down and looked at the screen. Already opened were the email conversations between and Joey and this “care bear” man. It read:

Joecool21: I am so curious. I want you to show me everything.

Hairycarebear32: Oh don’t worry, I will teach and show you everything you want to know. :)

Joecool21: I can’t wait to see you on Thursday! I am so eager to meet you!

Hairycarebear32: I am very excited too! Remember where we agreed to meet. See you then ;)

Mark’s jaw descended so much he had to catch himself from drooling.

“Wow… I see you what you mean now.”

“Right?” Spencer opened his palm in a gesture of disbelief.

“But you don’t know where they’re meeting?”

“No!” He clutched his head with hands and pulled his hair. “Please God, don’t let this guy rape Joey.”

“It doesn’t sound like it’s gonna be rape…”

“This isn’t funny!” Spencer shouted.

“I know, I know. What do you think we should do? Call the police? Call you’re parents?”

“No! It’d be too embarrassing for Joey. He would never forgive me for it.”

“Dude! He could be in serious danger and you’re worried about embarrassing him? You just don’t want people to know your brother is gay. You don’t want your parents to know.”

Spencer looked down and away from Mark, “No it’s not that…”

“Oh?”

Sighing loudly, “I don’t know, man. Jean, you’ve been quiet this whole time. Do you have any suggestions?”

Jeanette rolled her eyes, “I’ve got to get back home.”

Mark looked at her amazement, “Still with the diary? How can you be so selfish?”

“Screw you, Mark! You don’t know how important that diary is for me.”

“Even so, I think it can be put on hold for now, don’t you? This is a pretty serious situation.”

She rolled her eyes again, “So he’s meeting some strange guy. He’s obviously just curious and doesn’t know what else to do.”

Spencer chimed in, “Meeting some strange guy? This guy could abduct him! Hold him prisoner! How can you be so trusting?”

“Look, I used to babysit Joey’s best friend Carl all the time. I have his house number, maybe Carl knows something about this.”

Spencer’s eyes lit up, “Good thinking, Jean! I knew there was a reason you were friends with us.”

Jeanette just scowled as she made the call. Mark just stared at her, still in shock that she could be so apathetic.

“Hi Mrs. Doherty? Yeah, it’s Jeanette… Good and you?... Good. I was hoping I could talk to Carl…Just something about this little inside joke we have…okay, thanks,” Jeanette put her thumb up, “Hey Carl…actually I had a question about your friend Joey…well I’m here with Spencer and he’s a little worried because Joey hasn’t come home from school yet. Did he mention anything to you about something he was doing after school today?...  Oh really? Interesting… No, I’m sure he’s fine. But hey let’s just keep this our little secret okay? … You’re the best Carl, I’ll see you in the summer… Yeah, I miss you too… Yes, I know you’ll be old enough to not need a babysitter soon…Yeah, maybe we can hang out during my breaks from college…okay, okay I gotta go now. Bye!”

Spencer and Mark exchanged a humorous glance, “Got yourself a little boyfriend?” Spencer said sarcastically.

Jeanette shrugged, “He could be cute in a few years.”

Mark clenched his teeth, “Speaking of dating little boys, where did Carl say Joey was?”

“He said that Joey was bragging about getting to see the inside of a convertible later and he was gonna get to go to a Victoria’s Secret.”

“What…?” Spencer seemed to be at a loss for words.

“Where is there a Victoria’s Secret?” Mark asked.

“The closest one is in the mall,” said Jeanette.

Mark looked over at Spencer who was still in shock, “To the mall?”

Mouthing words until he could finally make sound, “I guess so.”

“Great, I’ll drive,” Mark said standing up.

“Can’t you take me home first?” Jeanette implored.

“We may not have much time, and you live in the opposite direction. Don’t you wanna help?”

“I’ve already helped you guys. I need to keep looking and make sure I put everything back to normal before my parents get home. They’ll freak if they see the house the way it is now.”

Mark shook his head, “Alright, yeah fine. Let’s get going.”

 

Mark and Spencer arrive at the mall around three o’clock. They headed straight for Victoria’s Secret but not before bumping in to their old mutual chemistry teacher, Mr. Garris just outside the store.

“Oh hello there boys. How are you doing? How’s school going?”

“Hey Mr. Garris, it’s good to see you but we’re kind of in a rush,” Mark said, a little out of breath from walking so fast.

“Some urgent matter to attend to in Victoria’s Secret?”

Mark began to stutter, trying to think of an excuse.

Spencer saved him, “My mom’s bra just broke and all her other ones suddenly vanished, isn’t that weird?”

“You…um…yes,” Mr. Garris began, not quite knowing how to respond.

“She’s got this big thing going down tonight and she needs to wear a bra to make a good impression so she sent me and Mark here to get her one. You know how mother’s are about their bras, always getting them in a bunch.”

“Well actually, the expression is panties in a bunch,” said Mr. Garris very awkwardly.

“Oh good to know, we’ll buy her some of those too! See you later, Mr. Garris!”

Mark and Spencer rushed in to the store and left a bewildered Mr. Garris standing outside. “Crazy college kids…” he muttered.

They ran up to the saleslady and immediately started questioning, “Has a creepy man with a small boy come in here recently?”

The saleslady whose nametag said, “Stacy,” knew right away whom they were talking about, “They were very nice! The man brought his nephew in to cause he was really curious. They were so cute!”

Spencer slapped his palm to his forehead, “Did they say where they were going?”

“No, why?”

“The kid was my brother, I need to find him.”

Stacy frowned, “I’m sorry.”

Spencer and Mark exchanged a look of disappointment.

Mark asked, “How long ago were they in here?”

Stacy pondered for a moment, “Not too long ago. They could still be in the mall!”

“Alright we gotta split up and look around the mall,” Spencer said.

“Good idea, where could they have gone next?”

“I’m not sure, how bout you look on the first floor and I’ll look on the second,” Mark suggested.

They agreed and took off. Spencer was getting frantic and was going in and out of every store. Mark wanted to grab a quick bite to eat because he hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast. He walked upstairs to the food court.

As he approached the pizza stand he saw them. Joey and Mr. CareBear, sitting in plain sight. Filled with relief he ran up to their table and took out his phone to call Spencer.

“Oh crap…” said Joey.

“Joey! We’ve been looking all over for you! What the hell are you doing? Who is this man?”

Stuttering, “M-My name is Jason, who are you?”

Mark took a step back in amazement, “Who am I? I’m his brother’s best friend and I’m here to bring him home!”

Joey spoke through gritted teeth, “Mark please don’t call Spencer! I don’t want him to know.”

“We know everything Joey. We saw the emails. And quite frankly they were creepy as hell and you’re damn right I’m calling him.”

“Wait!” Joey shouted in a hushed tone, “You don’t understand.”

Getting very anxious, “Hey, hey, I’m not going to hurt Joey, I promise you that. I won’t do anything he does not want to do,” Jason spoke.

“Oh okay, I guess I’m just suppose to believe some strange man who Joey met on the Internet and who picked him up from school to have sex with him.”

“Mark, it’s okay! I’ll be okay please don’t tell Spencer,” Joey was on the verge of tears.

Mark almost began to laugh, “You people are insane. If I don’t call Spencer I’m calling the police.”

“Hey, hey, don’t do that. Can I buy you something… Mark, is it? I’ll get you anything you want from the mall. Absolutely anything.”

“Are you crazy? Who do you think you are?”

Jason was not what one would expect him to look like. He was well dressed, with a clean-shaven white face, resembling Neil Patrick Harris. “I am a man…with needs. Society doesn’t understand and I can’t blame them. I’m not proud of this, but I’m not ashamed. It is who I am.”

“I’m happy you’re so comfortable with having sex with children, but no thirty-year old man should be making love with a thirteen year old boy.”

Jason pushed out his chair and stood up, “Who’s talking about making love? I prefer to think of it as making fun,” he chuckled to himself, “That’s all we want to do, is have a little fun, learn a few things, and then go home to our families.”

“That may be the creepiest thing I’ve ever heard,” said Mark, for some reason he still hadn’t dialed Spencer’s number on his phone.

“I’m not a bad guy. I’m married, I have children of my own. I just have this curse where I need the physical contact of young boys. But I’ve come to terms with it. I’ve accepted the way I feel.”

Mark squinted his eyes, “Seriously? You’ve come to terms with being a rapist?”

“I don’t rape them. It is always willing.”

“It’s still statutory. And illegal.”

“And do you abide by every law in the book?”

“F**k you.”

There was a moment of silence, “Please don’t call the police. Please don’t take this from me.”

Mark stared at his phone, he couldn’t even believe he was hesitating.

“This is ridiculous,” Mark couldn’t deliberate further, “Spencer? I found him. Come to the food court.”

 

“Did you find it?”

“Yeah it was actually in my room under my bed.”

“Right under your nose the whole time!”

Jeanette grinned.

“Do you wanna hear about what happened with Joey?”

“Not right now.”

“That was one awkward car ride…”

Jeanette nodded, “I’ll bet.”

“Can I ask why you needed the diary so bad?”

She fidgeted a little, “It’s really personal but I guess I can tell you. When I was young, I used to imagine all kinds of crazy stories about super heroes and villains. I was inspired by shows like Dragonball Z and Batman cartoons. I know it’s all guy stuff. But I stopped imagining as I got older and soon I couldn’t remember all the stories I’d made. But I remember them being so good and elaborate! I wrote a lot of them down in this diary and I wanted to find it so I could write all the stories and share them with the world and become famous. But I read them; they weren’t as good as I remember. They were actually pretty dumb.”

Mark shifted his mouth to the left and tried to sound sincere, “Oh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay…”

Mark put his arm around Jeanette and rubbed her shoulder. He didn’t know what to say.

He sighed, “Um…”

Jeanette looked up at him, “Yeah?”

Mark thought about what Jason had said. Coming to terms with the way you feel. It sounded so evil coming from his mouth, but he was right.

“Jeanette…”

“Mhm?”

Mark put his hand on his forehead and rubbed it down to his chin. All the words he had planned to say left his mind and he couldn’t speak.

“Nothing, never mind.”

Jeanette smiled, leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2012 bsparks77


Author's Note

bsparks77
Was the dialogue believable, what did you think of the characters, what are your thoughts on the ending?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on July 3, 2012
Last Updated on July 3, 2012
Tags: friends, relationships, homophobia, friend zone, losing things, comedy

Author

bsparks77
bsparks77

Mahopac, NY



About
I hate talking about myself. Conversely, I love writing about myself through fictional characters and stories. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5