Consequences and Repercussions

Consequences and Repercussions

A Chapter by Ruminating Archaeologist
"

The lock to the abandoned apartment had been busted. The striated marks might mean that some sort of axe or something with a heavy blade had been used.

"

The lock to the abandoned apartment had been busted. The striated marks might mean that some sort of axe or something with a heavy blade had been used. The apartment itself hadn’t been vacated for long, but long enough that there shouldn’t be anyone lurking. All that I expected to find was what I was here for. I pushed the door open, and pulled my coat around me a little tighter because of the cold. There had been a front coming through for most of today, starting late last night. According to the weatherman, at least.

I took a flashlight out of my pocket. After a press of the button, the place illuminated. I stepped inside the doorway and swept the beam from side to side across the hallway.

I didn’t see anything that would seem out of place, except for a disturbance in the dust on the floor- a sure sign that someone, or two someones, had been there. With one left behind, most probably.

Not seeing anything of importance, I attentively kept walking. Most doors were closed, and the only marks on the walls were of discoloration and faded apartment numbers.

Soon, I came to a fork in the hallway. To my right was a staircase and to the left were more apartments. I bent down to look closer at the ground. Scuffle marks in the fine dust heading to the left. I continued onward.

Just down the hallway, there was an ajar door. Must be where I needed to get to.

I froze in my tracks when I heard a nearly audible moan. There shouldn’t be anyone alive here…there couldn’t be anyone alive here. Carefully, I set down my briefcase. I pulled my pocketknife out of my back pocket, and holding it steadily in front of me with the flashlight in my other hand, I pushed open the door all the way.

I nearly dropped everything.

Holy hell. It’s a kid…

He must have been only a teen. He stared at me, struggling, barely holding on.

His leg’s gone…there’s a blood trail to the door…

His arms were tied behind him. He coughed, his eyes pleading with me.

“I…” I stammered, my voice barely at a whisper.

Powerless to do anything…

I shook my head. He coughed harder and I couldn’t move a muscle out of…fear? Shock? His head lolled to the side and finally I scrambled to put away my pocketknife and take out my cell phone.

I fumbled with the phone, and my eyes darted from the buttons to his face. Just as I began to dial the nine, I noticed that he wasn’t moving any longer.

I lowered my arm to my side slowly. Thankfully, his eyes were closed, but the pleading in them still echoed in my head. I looked around at the room that was splattered with blood, and then back down at him.

I shook my head, and turned to leave.

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry.”

My briefcase stood where I left it, reminding me of why I was sent here. I scowled in disgust, picked it up, and went on my way.

 

Just as I entered Malcolm’s office, he could tell I was angry.

“Penny for your thoughts, Carter?” He asked, taking a drink of his coffee.

“The kid was alive when I got there.” I spat.

He choked on his coffee, and nearly spewed it everywhere. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me.” I tightened my hands into fists. “A kid, Malcolm. His leg was gone…I saw him die in front of my eyes, and don’t even dare to ask me if I did my ‘duty’ because screw you if that’s what you expect from me.”

Malcolm shook his head. “Of course not…” He seemed distracted. “Uh, well…that’s one less for you, I suppose. Still, another we need…”

I held my tongue to the roof of my mouth in order to not say anything more.

It was raining when I pushed out of the building and into the city, but it didn’t deter me from walking away from the place. I desperately wanted to shoot something, but I hadn’t held a gun in a couple years.

I walked around the block until my clothes were soaked and maybe I’d be tired enough not to dream.



© 2012 Ruminating Archaeologist


Author's Note

Ruminating Archaeologist
this one's really...messed up :/. it's sad. freaky, sorta.

needs a better title. two words, like usual. I've used a lot of those lately, accidentally, before I remembered this series. which is why I made a new folder for this.

I guess it's a series, now. there's three of them. I have a sort of goal to get out what's going on behind the scenes, and I'll write as many as I need to get there, but I'll only write them if I have ideas.

now, I'm all out of ideas.

pic by augenweide on deviantart http://augenweide.deviantart.com/art/x-ray-263931830

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on September 30, 2012
Last Updated on October 12, 2012
Tags: consequences and repercussions, repercussions, consequences, and, sow, reap, reap and sow


Author

Ruminating Archaeologist
Ruminating Archaeologist

Paradoxical Cerebrum, IN



About
Since 8th grade, I've been writing and I honestly can say I've improved. My deviant art account is normally where I'm stationed, and I use it frequently. I also have a fanfiction.net account, and I'm .. more..

Writing