BOMBS

BOMBS

A Poem by EMMIE

Sweet scent of summer 
Green grass and picnic baskets 
Honey dripping fresh from the comb 
Polka dot dresses and smiles all around 
Ice cream trucks playing funny tunes 
Children hide and seek each other 
Basking in the summer sun 
And when the dream is over 
Corpses all around  

© 2014 EMMIE


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Woah, quite a harsh turn at the end! I think that's my favorite part of this poem. You paint a really nice and happy scene in the beginning and lead with that view for the majority of the poem. The way you wrote it you immersed the reader completely in that beautiful daydream, just to rip them out of it at the end with dead bodies. If you look at it differently, you kind of wrote this poem the way a bombing occurs. A day would start out normally like always, but then tragedy strikes and thousands of people die. I like the sensory details you use as well. Smell; scent of summer, sight; green grass and honey dripping, touch; basking in the summer sun, hearing; ice cream trucks playing funny tunes. You cover almost all 5 with such detail its incredible. Very nice job. I don't have anything bad to say about it. Definitely one of my favorites :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time =)
Sickening what we humans do to each other..

Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

It sure is! Thank you!
Renée

9 Years Ago

EMMIE.. your always an interesting read ( :
deep specially with all these wars and innocent people dying on every corner of this earth


Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

True! Thanks for reading
Nicley done. Very relatable piece. Love the imagery.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I'm pretty sure people could attribute this to all kinds of different realistic disasters. Though as a metaphor, I'll admit slightly bitter because I'm not as fond of the summer, overall. Whichever it is, it's a decent little poem. Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


"Ring a Ring o' Roses..." - you've created the new nursery rhyme... sigh.

Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

Ha ha thank you!
This is how I feel when I think about the snowflakes that will fall soon.
Wish the summer could last forever. Love the sights and sounds.
Your imagery is superb.


Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

Thank youuuuu
This makes me think retrospectively an older setting with modern appeal. Surely Bombs are decimating the desert lands and not our precious ice cream truck paved streets. A simple write but i can clearly hear the haunting sound of the music burbling its last melting tune.

Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

than you =)
A sad ending to a poem that stated hopeful. Would be hell to live with war and bombs near. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Emmie! So nice to see you again...this review will be quick since I don't know how long you'll be here for...this is a morosely witty piece, and perfect for this time of year...summer's almost done, and hide and seek will soon devolve into a matter of digging the corpses out of the snow...mind you, winter is my favourite season, but I'm Canadian...or maybe it's just the desolation speaks to me...I relate to desolation...nicely done my friend :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


EMMIE

9 Years Ago

Winter is my fave season too! Thanks so much for taking the time!
kublakhan27

9 Years Ago

Cool to know ;) Always a pleasure Emmie :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

681 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2014
Last Updated on September 10, 2014


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil