The Safe

The Safe

A Poem by Mary E Green
"

An exploration of self-worth...

"

     There lies burrowed within you a safe, in it your incomparable value- the richness that is you. The bestower of this gift we could dispute, but no doubt it comes  just as miraculously as the gift of life.  You alone hold the combination to this safe.  You may allow others to make withdrawals from this safe, letting those who have left their own safe open far too long, carelessly search within yours.

 

     Do have faith in this, it is only when you respect the protection this safe offers, that one is able to share their wealth with others.  If  instead you leave this safe prey to the whims of others, allowing them to manipulate the lock, the richness that is you is slowly lost.   For those that love and care for you will never take from this safe.  You are the combination-do not give it to another or lose it to yourself.

 

     If only we could protect the safe of others- those who have no regard to its value, leaving it  to be drained of its resources. No doubt, we all can see those on this path to self-destruction. For whether it be as a child who never learned the value of this safe or the adult who faced a blow that damaged the integrity of this safe, it is this individual alone who can repair it. This is not a gift we can make installments on for others- this is a gift that while given to us with life, can only be preserved by its recipient.

 

    Do protect yours and you will surely know all the gifts this life has to offer us- for your self-worth is the greatest of these.

 

    

 

© 2013 Mary E Green


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The water well pumps pure and life is given to give, to live but don't go to the well too many times, you are not a cat.The Safe, I like the Safe....still water and deep thoughts.Good job Mom.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I hope others can draw in the image of the safe:)
Rich this is ! What a great write ! thank you !

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Renée

11 Years Ago

my pleasure !
That was intensely deep! And I agree, I would give a lot to be able to protect 'the safe' of those that I care about.

The poem itself flowed very well and was an elegant representation of a very deep concept.

Wonderful job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

I just hope it wasn't too deep that others cannot relate to it- I like to write so that others can f.. read more
I enjoyed this poem and your depiction of the safe (of honour, integrety and virtue) that is within us all, a thought provoking and generous gesture, nice work, thanks

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

Thank you Sheema- I do tend to write in a manner that abstract ideas become more concrete images- Be.. read more
I like the working of this strong central image, a short essay with style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

Thank you Leslie! I do tend to write in essay style -I do not consider myself a poet or writer- a jo.. read more
Although I don't agree with some of the principles within your poem, I think you have expressed yourself eloquently and with truth and beauty. I especially like the line " If only we could protect the safe of others- those who have no regard to its value, leaving it to be drained of its resources." I agree, if only we(they) really could see our(their) own preciousness, really see it, so much in our(their) lives would not need healing, because we all would realize that sickness was just a figment of our egos. A beautiful write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

Mary- could you share where your opinions differ - I am always willing to learn from others & enhanc.. read more
The form my writing takes has been unclear to me for much of it consists of life lessons that have been given to me - by who? Good question! Due to this, many of my pieces read for lack of a better word, instructional. I only hope the reader receives the messages within these words given to me as I have- with an open heart & mind. I am not taking credit for these lessons- they are part of life itself, simply sharing them with others :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mary

11 Years Ago

Mary, I love what you write! I think you have much to share!
Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
There is very special and great thought held within these words. I'm amazed that more people haven't reviewed and left comments and opinions you could discuss more fully.

We all have something precious inside us, something to use gently and to its fullest end, without anger or arrogance, to share, to develop. We can't advise other people to do what we consider right for them, guess we can only lead a way. very quietly and gently.

Will point the way to this post, it needs more readers. Thank you for sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

I appreciate your feedback & the time you took to respond to this piece- because after all it came f.. read more
Mary E Green

11 Years Ago

**lost

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

686 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2013
Last Updated on February 28, 2013

Author

Mary E Green
Mary E Green

MA



About
A mother/wife and Rn in that order who is grateful on a daily basis. A realistic optimisit , a good listener, compassionate and kind. Words flow more freely in writing for me... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos