(Worn-out) School (Teacher).

(Worn-out) School (Teacher).

A Story by C.J.G.
"

... Teaching a not-so-regular student...

"

My paper had a coffee stain on it. The difficult part was that it cover a third of the nearly illiterate corrections she had made. Her corrections were impulsive, at least the ones I saw. She did not understand, or tried to understand, what I was conveying in that paper, rather just made arbitrary marks with her blood red ink on the errors identified in her grammar book. She was ignorant. I sat there with as much patience as I could muster up, eyes locked on her. Her hair was brittle, an effect due to the harassment of her hair strengthener.  Below her eyes an invisible finger was perpetually pulling her skin, causing it to droop down.  Her earrings, too heavy for her fragile ears, contorted what was suppose to be a hole into a vertical line. Her lipstick was caked on her thin lips in an obtuse manner as if to fool people of their size. She was the average, overused school teacher. What can you expect?

            After class, as any regular student would do after being given a C- on a paper, I asked to work with her on corrections. Her answer was frustratingly bland; she simply did not care. I asked when she wanted to meet. She supplied a disregarding answer; I almost felt like shaking her as if to acquire even an inch of enthusiasm from that timeworn vessel. I refrained. Upon my mind’s desires, I stayed calm, cool, like any regular student would do. I could see the outer parts on her crusty eyelids creeping down in an effort to reunite with the bottoms. My patience reached its peak. I had to leave. My eyes were seconds away from falling out of their sockets. So, with a highly contrived relaxed, high-schoolesc tone, I said to Mrs. Cooper, “I’ll just come by later.” 

© 2011 C.J.G.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is probably one of my favorites. I could empathize well with this, I felt the irritation. And the description of the teacher was perfect. Well done. Seriously.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 10, 2010
Last Updated on March 24, 2011
Tags: school, student, teacher
Previous Versions

Author

C.J.G.
C.J.G.

NY



About
Just trying to meaning in a meaningless world. more..

Writing
Underbelly Underbelly

A Poem by C.J.G.


Caves cave Caves cave

A Poem by C.J.G.


Lay Lay

A Poem by C.J.G.