The Promise

The Promise

A Story by Charlène Boutin
"

A broken promise, a broken heart. And yes, this is pure fiction.

"

     He had given me a promise.

     He had sweared to me, on that moonless night, that he would not leave the road of life that was spread before him. He had promised me that no matter what pain was brought to his heart and mind, he would stay here, by my side, and continue the fight.

     He had assured me that he would be brave. He had told me not to worry, for life is meant to be lived and worth fighting for. He had promised me that he would never take off the armour that protected him and never drop his sword in surrender.

     Cruel is destiny when it plays with the souls you love.

     He had made me promise to guide him through the road and help him remember his own promise. He had asked me to guard him with my love and forever be his shield. I had accepted with no hesiation, for I loved him more than anything else there could exist in this bizarre world.

     Quickly forgotten was his promise.

     The river of despair had too strong a current for him to remain standing in its waters. Even the shield I held for him could not help him stay on his feet. His armour had been breached long ago, and there was no hope of repairing the damage. I fought long and hard to keep my promise, but you cannot feed hope to a soul in despair if there is no source to be found. There was nothing left for him in this world.

     And that is why I cry, on this once again moonless night, his trespassing from our world to the next one, and his broken promise.

© 2008 Charlène Boutin


Author's Note

Charlène Boutin
Another spontanious piece of writing- I thought this one up during my sleep.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this piece of writing is captivating and your use of vocabulary is outstanding. i can only dream of writing as well as you do. i'll be sure to check back and read more of your writing. =]

Posted 15 Years Ago


Young lady it is amazing to me that at 15 years old how exquisite and profound your mode of your perception is... I'm blow away when I read your work... what a wonderful talent you've been bestowed and how fortunate we are to be in your audience!

I truly enjoyed reading this captivating and well written piece...

Thank you for sharing your talent.

Duchess,




Posted 15 Years Ago


Once again a good piece for being spontaneous. I believe that there a re a few mistake sin it though.

"He had sweared to me, on that moonless night, that he would not leave the road of life that was spread before him."

I believe that sweared should be sworn in this sentence.

"He had told me not to worry, for life is meant to be lived and worth fighting for."

I would add and is between "lived" and "And"

Other than that a good little story



Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 16, 2008

Author

Charlène Boutin
Charlène Boutin

Montréal and Val-d'Or, Canada



About
There's more to this world than we see. Artists are gifted with the vision of this world, and can bring forward these visions to others. The world I see goes beyond my eyes, beyond my own life. I hop.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..