Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Hole In The Wall

Hole In The Wall

A Story by Charlène Boutin
"

Do something, please...

"

     There's that hole in the wall.

     Right off the bat I know that something is wrong, because I wake up every morning and I see that hole in the wall, damnit.

     It's right in front of my nose when I open my drowsy eyes.

     The plaster all around the fist size hole is crackled and fragile; I can predict that if I lay a single finger upon its surface, it will crumble and fall to the floor, causing a great mess. Through the fissure, I spy things.

     Things like what, you may ask?

     I see the room where you sleep.

     Yes, I see your room, with your single bed tossed in the corner, dressed with bloodstained sheets. I know it is your blood I see- blood that you have drawn out of your veins by yourself. I know you take that knife and do the dirty work yourself. I occasionally open the door and catch you doing it, hurting yourself like this, and then I attempt to rip the knife out of your hands; I never succeed.

     The hole in the wall leaves you bare to my innocent eyes. I see you every morning, hurting yourself in this way, but there is nothing I can do to stop you.

     I have pleaded you many times; I have told you every wise word I could, but every morning you place that knife deeper into your flesh.

     There is always more blood.

     Damnit, just do something.

© 2008 Charlène Boutin


Author's Note

Charlène Boutin
It's hard to help someone when they don't WANT any help in the first place, am I wrong?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very true, yet dark poem in its own way, you wrote it just the way it needed to be and also wrote this brilliant piece with a message......nice work! -arabella

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow. It is really scary howm many people cut themselves. My favorite song right noe features a line that says:
"I set out to cut myself,
Here i go."
------------------James Blunt
"Same Mistake"

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is an amazing short-story! The vivid description in the beginning caught my attention, but the gripping fragments of the wall, the blood, the cutting... this brought such a dark depth to something so many go through. Several of my friends here at the cafe cut themselves. It is hard to help, but we must try...if we are truly friends... Je parle peu, mais je dis bien. C'est le caract�re du sage. One day, when frustrations from newspapers are behind you, I would love to see this expanded. It could speak so profoundly to generations of those who hurt themselves for the sake of seeking relief from their pain or numbness...

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 14, 2008

Author

Charlène Boutin
Charlène Boutin

Montréal and Val-d'Or, Canada



About
There's more to this world than we see. Artists are gifted with the vision of this world, and can bring forward these visions to others. The world I see goes beyond my eyes, beyond my own life. I hop.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Explode Explode

A Poem by Rachael