Catch a Pearl

Catch a Pearl

A Story by Regina
"

A short, surreal tale which each reader can identify with uniquely.

"

Catch a Pearl

(Revised version)

An old mansion peeks out from behind the trees of the forest. There is a sign on the gate that reads, keep out, and I’m intrigued. I look around, and see that no one is there to stop me. Slowly, I open the gate and walk to the front door. As if someone is expecting me, the front door swings wide open allowing me to see an old, forbidden staircase. I hear the murmur of voices, so I press my head to the wall to listen. None of the voices make any sense.

A black bag full of pearls falls down the stairway. The round, ivory balls of beauty shine at the opening of the bag as if to burst to life. I eagerly await for them to roll onto the floor. One shriveled, black pearl rolls from the bag. As I reach out my hand, it rolls away.

As if glad to rid itself of an ugly pearl, the black bag bounces about happily. Momentarily, a ray of sunshine glimpses upon the bag, and it seems to burst with life. Just as silently, the ivory balls roll onto the stairwell and disappear behind a door.

Intrigued, I open the door where the pearls disappeared, anticipating a room full of ivory balls, or people to compensate for the voices I heard earlier. All I see, is a large, stone kitchen. Old curtains blow in the breeze of each window.

When I proceed to move the curtain from the first window, I see two stairwells. One leads downstairs into a dark dungean, and the other goes upward to a bright light.

I climb through the window and step onto the stairwell that leads upward. From a wide crack in the wall, I see a small room off to the side. It has a popcorn machine and table with dice. My hands ache to roll the dice, so I step inside the room, grasp the dice and roll. When the dice lands, there are golden pearls lying on the table. As I stand in awe, the shriveled, black pearl comes tumbling down. I scramble to catch it, and just when I think, it's in my hand, it vanishes.

I climb back into the kitchen. A black curtain blows in the window on my right side, and a red curtain blows in the window on my left side.

I am compelled to go to the dark and mysterious, flowing curtain, so I step through the window with the black material. As I climb through it, a dark and forbidding staircase appears before me. Quivering, I slowly climb down the stairs and carefully open the door at the bottom. I see a giant room which is empty and stark.

Puddles of water are scattered across the floor, and the ceiling is cracked with water leaking through it. A dismal, eerie silence fills the air. Uneasily, I walk through the room, studying each puddle. The water looks gray and tired, and the room feels cold. My eyes are drawn to a dark puddle across the room. Intrigued, I stare at the water. There isn’t a ripple to break the surface. Suddenly, the shriveled, black pearl leaps from the water and a loud bang comes from behind a door. Frightened, I jump back.

The black pearl rolls in front of me, and I run after it, reaching, grasping, but it leaps out of sight with a bang. Shaking and shivering, I leave the room.

I stand in the middle of the kitchen, dismantled and panting. My heart is racing, and I’m bug eyed. The shriveled, black pearl bounces into the middle of the kitchen. For a moment, it becomes round, ivory and glowing. Just as quickly, it's black and shriveled again.

Boldly, I stand up and chase after the cursed pearl, but it leaps through the window with the blue curtain. A forboding silence echoes in the kitchen, as I look around.

A forbidding black shadow proceeds toward a red curtain. Hesitantly, I look at it. A glimpse of the black pearl, peeks from behind the blue curtain and lures me to climb through this window. On the other side, I walk up the stairwell and open a door. As I peek inside, I see a dim light on a nightstand next to a bed. The bed is covered with soft blankets and pillows, while the dresser has a vanity mirror with a string of soft, blue sentimental pearls and a bottle of Lilly of the Valley perfume. A melancholy feeling sweeps over me.

From the corner of the room, I see two open doorways. One leads into a narrow hallway with many doors, and one has a steep and winding stairwell. I go to the one with the stairwell. At the top, I see a small balcony with a swing in the middle. I sit on the swing, and with a little push of my foot, it swings high into the air.

I lose my grasp of the swing, and I go flying into the air. “Oh my god, help!” I scream.

As I go tumbling down, I see an ocean of water beneath me. My mind clears, and I realize, I’m floating and have not reached the bottom.

Before my eyes, I see a string of colorful pearls floating about, and my body floats after them. As I longingly reach out my hand, the colorful, round balls disappear, and the shriveled black pearl appears.

I pick up the old, dry and tired looking pearl. A solitary tear slides down my cheek and drops onto the ugly thing. It immediately changes from a shriveled, dark jewel to a nourished, pink and blushing one. I place it with the rest of the colorful pearls.

The pink pearl rises up tall like a powerful queen, and all the others follow it. Together, they sail upward to the tower of the mansion and float through a window, forever out of sight.

Written by

Regina

© 2017 Regina


Author's Note

Regina
Let me know how this tale strikes you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on August 18, 2017
Last Updated on August 18, 2017
Tags: writer, illustrator

Author

Regina
Regina

Denver, CO



About
My writer's name is Regina. I'm a mother, writer and illustrator. I work a day job for my income, and I work as a writer outside my day job. I go to the University of Denver Writing Group. Profe.. more..

Writing