The Misleading Locket

The Misleading Locket

A Story by nevershoutnever.
"

Misleading love...?

"
     Popular. Good grades, for a Sophmore. Friendly. Pretty. Four words that described me to everyone else, even if I didn't particularly agree. "I love you, Claire," my boyfriend, Bentley, told me every day. I thought we were going to be together forever. When someone thinks that, though, they normally tend to be wrong. On each Valentine's Day, he appeared at my door step with a bouqet of roses in one hand and a card telling me sweet, cheesy things in the other. I cherished these small features. And each time, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world to be with him. When we kissed, I wasn't in that world, though. I was somewhere else entirely, somewhere better. He didn't care what others thought. I admired that. He liked me so much for being me. That's what he told me. 
     Then that dreaded day came. The destined day where my heart was shattered into a million pieces just because of one false move. Yet, a week before, he began to act...different. No calls. No texts. Standing up at our dates. I did what no girlfriend ever dared to do. I went to his house. He kissed me and said, "I'm sorry, things have been hectic. I love you," then quietly shut the door and left me standing, feeling a bit reassured, on his doorstep. 
    Days later, I went for a walk. I tend to whenever I feel the need to clear my head, sort things through. After walking around a little, I noticed a couple that were leaning against a tree, and had just went in for a hug. I smiled and thought of Bentley and me, the way he hugs me with those reassuring, comforting arms. So I casually got closer and saw a familiar face I hoped to never see. With someone else. That's when my heart dropped. "How could you do this to me!!" I yelled at him, tears beginning to stream down my face, more as a statement, rather than a question. "What happened to the 'your the only one I want' speech? Did you tell that to her," I gestured to the girl next to him, "too?"
    "You don't understand. It's not what it looks lik-"
    "Don't bother. We're through."
    "Claire!" He called after me.
    I ran back to the house, only a block or two away, thank God, and bolted straight to my room, ignoring my dogs. I slammed the door and fell onto my bed in a fit of sobs. I ripped the necklace from my neck and threw it at the wall. I didn't sleep at all that night, I didn't want to sleep ever again. Sleeping means dreaming. Dreaming means hope. There was no hope for me now.
     Around midnight, a noise came from my window. Startled, I walked over to it and opened it up. "Bentley? What the hell are you doing here?"
      "Can we please talk about this? Please?"
      "Go home, Bentley."
      "I'm coming up then."
      I rolled my eyes, knowing he was serious and ran downstairs, careful not to wake anyone. "The girl was my cousin."
      "That's bullshit, and you know it."
      "If you don't believe me, I don't know what to do. I promise, Claire. I swear on my life that I would never lie to you." He handed me another necklace. This one was a heart shaped locket. I just held it, until Bentley said, "Open it."
     Opening the locket, a picture of me was in one side and him on the other. "I don't want this," I mumbled, throwing it into the street.
     "I will always want this," He said, going to fetch it. Just then, bright lights came from the end of the street and I blinked.
     The truck came. It passed. It never stopped. But, Bentley did. "I love you," were his last words as he glanced towards the truck and didn't look back. There he lay, dead, in the middle of my street. The street I will have to look at for the rest of my life. The street that will make me want to stand in it and die for him, the same way Bentley did for me. I screamed his name over and over and over, though I knew that he wouldn't come back. Nothing could bring him back. I cried. I sobbed over him, on my knees. I regretted everything I said to him in that moment. In his hand, lay the - now cracked- locket that he gave his life for. I took it in my hands, kissed it softly, then put it on. Never to take it off. I laid next to him, unthankful for no passing cars. Something was bugging me. A piece of paper stuck out of his pocket, into my side. I opened it.
     
     Claire,
              I was busy with my cousin, haven't seen her in forever. She just moved here. Leave it to me to show her the ropes. If I had a chance to talk to the one I love most, I would. My heart has been shattered, ever since you ended "us." Like I wish I said everyday, you are one of a kind. You could never be replaced. My first love, you, always has a place in my heart. I love you. I promise. Forever and Always.
                 Love, Bentley

     For the next years, I went to the park everyday and shed a tear under the same tree we carved our enitials in the first time we said, "I love you." I die each time I see his face when I close my eyes. I die when I think about how he died because of my stupidity. I die when I wonder why he would take his life for me. Good things fall apart so better things can fall together. How does this make anything better?

© 2011 nevershoutnever.


Author's Note

nevershoutnever.
My friend gave me the rough draft and I developed it. Thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow...

Posted 12 Years Ago


And you used my name why...? XD other than that part i loove it

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww i like it :') its very emotional, thats what i love about this story :'( Very gooddddddd!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 9, 2011
Last Updated on July 9, 2011
Tags: misleading, understanding, apologies, death, suicide, relationships

Author

nevershoutnever.
nevershoutnever.

Royal Oak, MI



About
I started to write a big paragraph about my life, but who would read it? Emma: thirteen; unable to make decisions; curious; fidgety; OCD - maybe; loving; too caring; kind-heart; humorous; bubbly; t.. more..

Writing