Careful What You Wish For

Careful What You Wish For

A Story by nevershoutnever.
"

Be careful...

"

“No, it would be a hell of a lot funnier if you told her,” Kaite said. I laughed along with her and agreed.

Without a second to loose, I walked up to Elaina and said, “Look, Elaina,” while she glared at me, “I’ve been dying to tell you this for a while now . . .” I could feel her eyes stare deep into mine, as if she knew what I was about to say. Pretending to be nervous, I spat, “I’m just to say it.” I took a deep breath and continued, “You were right all along,” I began to circle her, pushing aside her friends. “Now, Kaite apologizes for all of our " your " s**t, but I don’t. I shouldn’t have to apologize to anyone. Especially you, of all people. You were right, you see, I would much rather have you dead than alive any day,” I stopped in front of her face and spit on her shoes.

Right when I said that, I almost wish I hadn’t. Almost. For her eyes started to swell up with tears that she tried to hold back and what did I do? I simply walked walk to my friends, with a blank expression and laughed about it once again.

Glancing back around, Elaina had run off and Clare was storming towards me. “God, Ryan! Why are you such a b***h? She hasn’t even done anything wrong!”

“Says you. That b***h, your-so-called ‘friend,’ is a slimey w***e who stalked the s**t out of me,” I yelled right back.

She sighed, “You know, I never knew what Elaina saw in you.” Clare began to shout at me, “But I’m going to go find her because you are too big of a coward to!”

I rolled my eyes and let her run away. Alec just couldn’t stop chuckling. I had to go along with it, though. Those words, though, that Clare said " yelled " to me stuck in my head for I don’t know how long.

Days past and wherever I went, I saw her. Later that Friday, I had started to walk over to my usual place with my friends, expecting to see Elaina there. I did. She was sitting on the rail, laughing along, as if she didn’t have a care in the world. Maybe she didn’t. But, she began to become more and more translucent, and within a blink, she was gone.

I didn’t dare mention this to Alec, or anyone for that matter, for I knew what would happen. It kept occurring, though. Sometimes she was alone, others she was with Clare, Kristen and Haley. They were physically there, but Elaina wasn’t. Receiving glares at I passed them, I got confused on a whole new level. It happened everywhere; at school; the mall; even on the screen at the movies. I was getting freaked out, any sane person would. So I made the toughest decision. I, yes, was bout to apologize for what I said that Friday. Maybe that was the burden that gave me the guilty feeling and seeings.

The next Monday came. Elaina didn’t. It would’ve seemed as if I was planning something misceivious to go up to her friends and ask where the hell she was. So I never did. Tuesday arrived and so did news on the morning announcement. All I heard was three words. “Classmate found dead.”

“Clare! Clare!” I shouted, running over. She didn’t even bother to look up. “You didn’t tell me Elaina actually…”

“BECAUSE YOU DON’T CARE, RYAN, YOU NEVER DID, NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL,” Clare yelled with all her might. Then, her voice got real low and quiet, “She is gone, and this time, jackass, she isn’t coming back.” I could think of thousands of feelings I should’ve felt. Only two showed, though. Sorrow…and guilt.

“How…how did she do it…?” I bravely asked, not daring to make eye contact with Clare. Truth be told, I almost didn’t want to know. Almost.

“Car crash. Funny though, because they found a suicide note in her pocket. Fate has strange ways of getting what it wants. Isn’t that right, Ryan? Well, you of all people should know that by now.” She forced a fake chuckle, “You are the one who preferred her to be dead, rather than alive.”

I tried to interfere her accusation, but she wouldn’t let me. “I believe the term you used was ‘any day.’ Well, I have one thing let to say to you, Ryan. Congratulations, you got your wish.”

© 2011 nevershoutnever.


Author's Note

nevershoutnever.
Wishes have a funny way of playing out a different way than you hope.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

248 Views
Added on July 30, 2011
Last Updated on August 2, 2011

Author

nevershoutnever.
nevershoutnever.

Royal Oak, MI



About
I started to write a big paragraph about my life, but who would read it? Emma: thirteen; unable to make decisions; curious; fidgety; OCD - maybe; loving; too caring; kind-heart; humorous; bubbly; t.. more..

Writing