Superman cant fly

Superman cant fly

A Story by Ama May Cooper
"

A somewhat dak humoured tale i feel

"

He lay splayed out on the sidewalk, his legs jutting out at awkward angles and his arms twisted beneath him upside down and the wrong way round. It was like some sorta creature had come along dismantled him and put him back togther all wrong. Not that he minded much, being dead and all. I dont even think he noticed, mabye for that spilt second when his soft little frame collided with the hard bone cracking surface that is Mainview highroad, but not for long. From a fall like that , he must of been out and sleeping with the fishes pretty damn quickly.

Altho to be quite frank a kid like that was never really alive. Never fully there and never fully switched on. He always had this vacant stare, no expression just a blank face and eyes that seemed to lock on and never let go. He had beautiful eyes tho, one blue and one gray. The blue one so light and calming if you just looked into it you could actually belive that you where floating away on some distant island. Both of his eyes had this kinda cloudy texture. I think that just added to the strangeness of this boy and i dont think anyone was all to suprized when he made his last and final jump.

I remember him at school, straight A student and noone could quite work out why. He just sat in class writing these storys about some superhero, and drawing all these pictures of what looked like him saving the world. I would say a bit of strange habit for a boy of 17 but, everyone has there hobbies mabye he was writing a book i never really took a closer look. I dont think anyone cottened on to that strange obession , the same pictures over and over again like some sorta demeneted pattern. One day one of the older kids stole the book of him , and we all looked at it and it was just that , page after page of identical picture. No words nothing just this picture of him standing on top of the world with a big smile. He came speeding into the playground the moment he noticed his precious book of pictures had been stolen from his locker, scanned around the playground about 3 times and then it almost like he locked onto it. Like his eyes became little scopes, that pointed him directly toward his goal. He strode over with a confidence noone would expect from a boy noone had ever heard speak, he looked directly into my eyes and he glared.

"Give it back before i have to get nasty"

The way he said that sent a strange shiver down my back, and i wasnt quite sure how to receive it. His voice deep and strong, booming and resounding of my ear drums. I just stood there stock still my mouth open , he didnt look he had the strength to hurt a fly and i was half considering the idea of bursting out laughing but i settled for handing his book back and letting him .."get nasty" elsewhere.

"thank you"

he said. His voice softer now, and his eyes glazed over as he looked upon his prized possesion. He went to turn around but i placed my hand on his shoulder. I dont think anyone had ever spoken to him before and i saw this as a perfect chance to get to kno the odd boy who seemed to posses some deep mystical truth that he kept hidden behind those intreging eyes of his.

"Wait. Why dont you come inside with me, we can get lunch together." i smiled eagerly trying to project some sorta code that meant friendship. But he looked absoulutly terrified by the idea, as if id just asked him to shoot himself in the head. He blinked twice, swallowed and then shook his head and before i could say anything he ran off back inside the school and most proberly back to lean agasint his locker and scribble more repetitive pictures inside his book. I decided the friendship was a no go , and that he really really was a bit of a freak.

I smiled at him everyday that week and the only even acnowladgment i ever recived was him scurring off in the opposite direction like a threatend to punch him or something. Anyway this isnt his life story this is just a story of how he ended up in a crumpled heap of broken bones and skin cells, with his insides crushed upon impact.

I think that story needs no more than todays events to really explain what happend. And i think i need to make this clear because i kno what your all thinking and it isnt like that at all. He didnt jump, well he did but he didnt mean to land on the floor. I mean he wasnt trying to die , its not like he had it all planned out or life just got to much for him. Although saying that somethign obviously snapped in his head, something that set of a unbelivable beleif.. that he indeed was a super hero by the name of Tim. No im not pulling your leg, im not messing around he honestly belived that he was a super hero destined to save the world.

Id run up to him after school after noting that he walked my way home. One last attempt at friendship and then i thought id give it rest. I didnt say anythign just slotted myself into the space next to him, kept up and walked in step. We walked in silence, i wasnt even sure if he had noticed to be honest, he was staring blankly ahead of him placing one foot in front of the other and didnt really look like he was concentrating at all on anything other than the world inside his head.

"Do you want to kno something about me?. Your goign to no anywya in a minute , but i can tell you if you want"

i glanced at him momementairly his voice softer now. It took me by suprize and i took me a good while to realise that he had actually spoken and that the voice in my head wasnt just wondering what he would say if he did indeed notice me. I glanced at him yet again trying to work out what he could possibly be talking about , and what great secret he could possibly reveal as we trotted down Mainview highstreet.

I nodded. Prefering to keep the silence on my half , rembering the first time i spoke to him and that look in his eyes like a rabbit caught in the headlights with nowhere near enough time to get out the way before it becomes a nice lumpy red pile of road kill. Anyway totally of subject where was i. Oh yes him revealing his strange secret identity.

"My names tim"

i looked at him. I was expecting some great bestow of knowladge and he just gave me his name, it was nice and all but the way got me all excited made it all seem like to much of a let down.

"Your names tim..thats what you wanted to tell me?" I must of sounded rather rude, jumping down his throat for something he cant possibly of understood.

"No. Im not done yet, im just not sure how to say the next bit without scarying you"

My turn to blink now. millions of times, almost as if i was trying to convince myself i was dreaming. My mind spinning for some sort of logical connection to this young lads, but there didnt seem to be any his thought track seemed to be on a tangent that noone had ever even begin to think on before.

"Well look im  a superhero, thats the easiest way to put it, i can fly, i can do anything"

I almost laughed i thougth he was joking but when i locked eyes with him i realised how deadly serious he actually was.

"Are you having a laugh?.. you mean like the whole i can do naything if i put my mind to it crap?"

he looked completely offended. I think i might of hurt his feelings at that point, and hey im well aware i led a young lad to his death and now all i can really do is stand here on Mainview highroad and try to get my head around what just happend.

"Look ill prove it. Im a superhero i can fly" And with that he was off, i didnt have time to grab him or even work out where he vanished to he just sorta disseapeared. Which under the current context was a little creepy. I stood there no more than 5 minutes before i began to think he wasnt coming back at all and had just run of to play some little game with me.So i started to carry on walking and it was then it happened, he must of run up the stairs of the building at shuttle speed, and then clambered up onto the skyline. And then well he tried to prove it. And right infront of my feet now lays a crumpled heap of bones that i feel totally responsable for.  People are beginning to crowd round now , and im beginning to get a little edgy. I mean i just in a way led someone to there death , i kno it wasnt really my fault but. No. No. it is my fault. I take a few steps closer to him hoping that amongst that mis-matched pile of limbs and broken bones there's a sign of life. But of course there isnt he hit the floor much like a puppy or kitten hits a wall when its owner decides its done somethign wrong and in the midst of there fury picks it up and starts to smash it repitivly agasint the wall until its eyes quite literally roll back into its head and its brain begins to seep from its ears. It wasnt a nice sight.

So there it is ladies and gentlemen. He didnt jump, well he did, but he didnt mean to fall. He meant to sore like the little boy in his picture , the pictures he printed over and over again , forcing them to become a strange and sureal reality in his mind.

© 2009 Ama May Cooper


Author's Note

Ama May Cooper
Hmm.. not to surehow i feel abou tthis piece gonna need your feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was really good, I felt bad for the boy because there actually are mentally ill people out there who believe they're crazy things (like Jesus and super heroes) your characters are always so real and your stories are fantastic. Great Job. (I know I probably sound like a broken record but check this for spelling errors as well)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2009

Author

Ama May Cooper
Ama May Cooper

London, south west, United Kingdom



About
Name: Ama may cooper Current age(when joined):16 Sex: female Age now: 27 I am merely a being, treading softly on these foreign lands. I am no great individual, no wise king or beautiful temptres.. more..

Writing
... ...

A Story by Ama May Cooper


Leonis Leonis

A Story by Ama May Cooper