Altruism: Is It Real?

Altruism: Is It Real?

A Story by Cari Kinz
"

An Essay about whether or not true altruism is real.

"

          Altruism is defined as “the quality of unselfish concern for the welfare of others. Actions defined as selfless” (WordNet, 2010).  In other words, doing something charitable or having an unselfish interest and concern about others. Sounds great and even in what we see as rotten times, we all know someone who is just a wonderful, sparkling example of kindness. BUT… is that person truly an altruist? Does true altruism really exist?

            In order to look at this completely, it is necessary to take a step back and look at the ideas of selfishness and selflessness. We have been told from the time that we were in diapers that selfishness is bad. We are told to share what we have and we are told that this is what a good person does. And it’s true… to a point. You see, we would not exist without selfishness. Natural selection depends on selfishness- the strong survive, the weak do not. It sounds harsh and to a rational person, it is harsh. But that is nature and the fact is if our ancestors were not selfish in their dealings with their surroundings, and others of their kind, they would not have survived long enough to evolve into us. You keep what you have or you don’t have it anymore.

            Now as we did evolve, we found that sometimes we had more than we actually needed and that others had things that we wanted too. And so trade began. We traded one thing for another and economy was born.

            Selflessness is a concept beyond survival and economy. In the wild, you do not get something for nothing. And likewise in economy you do not give something for nothing. If we accept that selflessness exists, it exists as an entirely separate concept in our development, simply because you are giving something and are receiving nothing.

            Having said this I believe that most people will tell you that they think altruism is real. I, however, do not. Sure, I’m a cynic, I admit it. But I do not think my non-belief comes from cynicism. I thought a long time about this subject and, although at first I wanted to believe it, it just wasn’t working for me. Here’s why:

            Selfless acts are impossible to achieve. When we think of doing something “selfless”, we think about when we give money or items or time away. We believe that we are doing this out of the kindness of our hearts and that we are receiving nothing in return- this makes it selfless. However, the fact is that we always receive something in return even if it is “only” a good feeling. I know that some readers are now rolling their eyes and saying, “Oh big deal! I gave $100 to the mission and you are telling me that is not an altruistic act because I got a good feeling from it??”

            Well, yes, I am. It does not matter the price you place on your “good feeling”. If you believe it is worth less than the $100 you gave, that is your estimation. Altruism, in my way of thinking, does not work like that. If you received something in return for what you gave, it is not a selfless act. It is, in fact, trade. The only difference between this trade and the trade that happens in the market place is that you have too much of something and do not want to trade it for more of the same something. As anyone who has ever cleaned out their garage knows, a truck load of items given to charity is well worth the intangible good feeling one receives in return. That and a clean garage of course.

            But… what about Gandhi or Mother Theresa, aren’t they altruists? How can you say they aren’t after all they did for their causes?

            Well, that’s exactly the point: what they did for their causes. They, and I mean no disrespect of any kind, did what they did for a purpose of their own. They had an agenda. They did what they did because they felt it was the right thing to do and they wanted to help people. Notice that I say “they wanted”. To want is a selfish concept. However, I will be the first one to admit that their actions, as well as the actions of some other incredibly good people are as close to altruism as I can imagine. Our world is a better place because of them.

            Which brings me to a guy who would throw himself on a grenade to save his platoon… or some other similarly amazingly brave and heroic person. I admit I had to think a long time about this one. What I came up with is not an earth shattering revelation that proves that altruism does or does not exist. It is simply that we can never know what is in the mind and heart of another person.

            Which means…?

            Well, it means just what it says. I, you, no one can know why someone would throw themselves on a grenade. Training? Reflex? A feeling that the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the one? We cannot know what justification a hero makes in his head when he commits such an act. What I can tell you is that, that person is incredibly heroic, should be honored and those who are saved by him, and their families, should never forget him.

But… there is even selfishness here.

            Now, before the flaming hot hate mail begins, I will say again: Selfishness is not always the way we perceive it. But the people that are left behind from such a heroic act have lost something. The selfishness lies in the idea that the hero has taken himself away from those who love him. It is a decision that he has made for himself and for those who are part of his life. By definition this is selfish.

            In the end, altruism is an intangible concept and as with all intangible concepts it is subject to the interpretation of the thinker. Though we have a definition, it does not serve to convince us all of its existence. So, my challenge to the reader is to prove me wrong- do something kind and charitable for the sake of someone else… but if you feel good about it, don’t say I didn’t warn you!

 

 

References

 

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/

© 2012 Cari Kinz


Author's Note

Cari Kinz
It is what it is. I hope you enjoy it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on October 25, 2011
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: essay, philosophy, altruism

Author

Cari Kinz
Cari Kinz

About
If you want to know what I think about just about anything, visit my journal at http://cari7.livejournal.com/ "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the mo.. more..

Writing
Heartache Heartache

A Poem by Cari Kinz