I Love Dragons

I Love Dragons

A Story by Carlos Salinas
"

A young man has a surprise with love in a number of hours. A hopeful story about young love.

"
I Love Dragons


“I want to love her, Grandma.”
“And you will! And she will love you back in a way that will make you very happy.” His grandma replied, with a confidence that only comes with age.
“What do you think she will be like?” asked Leonardo.
“She will be amazing- an angel just for you.”
An angel just for me? Leonardo thought to himself. Nothing would make him happier. Nothing would fill his teenage heart with joy than a girl to love. He would write poems, addressed to no one in particular, but always with some vague idea of whom she would be. His love existed only in his imagination.
As he lay in bed that night, attempting to sleep, his imagination was led by his heart. What will her name be?
He thought about his girl as he lay in bed, trying to calm his mind. Would she be everything he hoped she would be?
The next morning, Leonardo woke up with the idea of getting more books from the library. That was his passion-books. His best friend Paul joined him for the trip.
“What books are you getting this time?” asked Paul.
“You already know -dragons.”
Leonardo and Paul walked to the library in the cool breeze of fall. The leaves rustled and chased one
another as they reunited on the edge of the street. The library was a short distance from the house and was always a pleasant walk, in any weather.
“Hey! What are you doing here?” They were greeted by a beautiful girl as they entered the library.
“Hey! How have you been?” screamed Paul as he reached out and embraced her.
“I’ve been fine, really busy,” she answered, smiling as she gave Paul a firm hug.
“We should get together and go eat or something,” Paul said, seeing the way Leonardo reacted to her presence. “This is Leonardo,” he pointed to his friend. Leonardo smiled from ear to ear. She smiled, “Nice to meet you.”
“Yeah, that sounds like fun,” she said.
Once she walked away, the interrogation began.
“How do you know her?” Asked Leonardo, obviously smitten.
“Her mom gave me piano and singing lessons when I was younger,” answered Paul with a grin.
II
“Leonardo?” It was Paul on the phone.
“Yeah?”
“I don’t think you should come to eat with us, it’s gonna be boring.”
“What are you talking about? I’ve been looking forward to this all week.”
Paul paused. His plan hadn’t worked; his excuses were futile compared to Leonardo’s determination.
“Look, she’s bringing her boyfriend,” Paul’s voice was flavored with guilt.
“Oh, ok.” Leonardo was confused, obvious by his staring at the phone for minutes after the call was over. He wasn’t angry; it was no one’s fault. He just found it curious. Destiny? Perhaps. Now I at least get to start my books, he thought to himself. A perfect evening; hot tea and good books.
Making his way into the kitchen he noticed that it had started raining. His grandparents had gone out for the evening and he would have the house to himself for some quiet reading. It was time well-spent for Leonardo.
As he stirred the tea packet into the steaming water, the doorbell rang. Back so soon? He thought. His grandparents must have changed their minds because of the rain.
When he opened the door, there stood a girl holding a colorful package in one hand and an umbrella in the other. She was smiling.
“Hi,” she started, “this came to my house by mistake, and it’s addressed to Leonardo, 2 houses up from us. Are you Leonardo?” Her eyes were a beautiful chestnut hue; a color only achieved after being roasted to perfection.
He nodded; a little embarrassed that his late birthday gift from his aunt was wrapped in colorful children’s wrapping paper.
“I love dragons!” She said enthusiastically.

© 2012 Carlos Salinas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on September 1, 2012
Last Updated on September 1, 2012
Tags: love, shortstory, new

Author

Carlos Salinas
Carlos Salinas

San Antonio, TX



About
I want my writing to inspire people to do good deeds, love one another, and never give up hope. I want my readers to finish each story or poem wanting more. There are already many negative forces and .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Carlos Salinas