The Beauty is in What you Make It

The Beauty is in What you Make It

A Story by Joel K
"

An Atheistic Exhortation.

"

The Beauty is in What you Make It

 

I’ve accepted the reality that I cease to exist at the moment of my death. The thought holds no terror for me; for why should we fear that which we cannot avoid? I see no reason to fear an end of things, it will bring neither pain nor pleasure and after that moment passes it will cease to be relevant to me as there will be no me for it to be relevant to.

 

So I say; Rage, Rage against the dying of the light! These are not words of fear but of exaltation. Invariably the night will fall upon our lives and we have two choices regarding it; either succumb to it in fear and sorrow, or stand tall and proud in defiance of the onslaught letting your life be a brilliant brave light in the face of the oncoming shadows.

 

It is to us, the thinkers and the doers, to stare down the inevitable, devoid of fear where lesser men would cower and scrape. You who need no platitudes about life everlasting or of an eternity in perfection; to you I say perfection is the height of boredom, for perfection is by nature unchanging and change is what makes this life so worth living! The joy of pursuing your goals, the joy of a life well lived. Others may never understand why we don’t need to believe in a continuing existence, but they will also never know the beauty that comes from realizing that all your purpose resides in this life. The best experiences of this life can never be appreciated when you think this is just the dress rehearsal.

 

So find your Worship. Not the bending of knees and praise to a higher power, but the feeling of exaltation that can come from the interaction of your mind with the world around you. If it’s in music then crank the dial up to 10 or learn an instrument (I find Jimmy Eat World to be particularly inspirational and am listening to them even as I write this), if it’s in art then collect or perform as your talent and skill allow, if it’s in the wonders of nature then study biology and travel to experience the beauty this world offers, if it’s making love to your companion then spend the entire weekend in bed enjoying and discovering each others bodies. Whatever it is that fills you with wonder and amazement, ignites your passion, and enables you to see the world with acuity; charge headlong and pursue it with reckless abandon!

 

Stand tall and strong, walk with sure steps, and gaze into the distance with eyes unclouded by shame and undeserved guilt. This life is the only one we have and death is the period and the end of your book, so grasp your pen with resolve and make yours the most beautiful story you can write.

 

Musings by Joel

© 2008 Joel K


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"It is to us, the thinkers and the doers, to stare down the inevitable, devoid of fear where lesser men would cower and scrape."
Lol I think I still cower and scrape.
This is a nice write with a powerful message.
Passion is so hard to find in life why would anyone not pursue it?
It's what makes us, what really brings us alive.
I enjoyed this! :D

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 2, 2008

Author

Joel K
Joel K

Fort Wayne, IN



About
I'm a man of simple pleasures and here is where I've chosen to display my writings... mostly of love and loss thanks to my hopeless romanticism. So tell me what you think, if you enjoy it, if you loa.. more..

Writing
Chill Air Chill Air

A Poem by Joel K


The Trip The Trip

A Poem by Joel K