Pinhead Angels and Patron Saints

Pinhead Angels and Patron Saints

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

I never believed the question of how many angels fit on a pinhead was valid but research showed centuries of debate surrounding dogma and doctrine. Couldn't resist the urge to poke a little fun.

"

Pinhead Angels and Patron Saints

 

According to the American Institute of Physics, the number of angels that can dance on a pinhead is 10 to 64th., and Rockette-style is 10 to the 32nd.  They are wrong.  There is only room for six.

 

Leading the celestial troupe is Iofiel, Beauty of God.  She is, under the proper florescent lighting, multi-colored and as transluscent as the colors cast by the prism in your kitchen window on the white porcelain refrigerator at your house.  She can positively blind you under a black light.

 

Next, in seniority, is Kakabel, Star of God.  She shines best when Iofiel is farthest from her, as earth’s stars shine brighter without the influence of the sun.  She is quite shy and reluctant to take center stage, and no one minds.

 

Sachiel, Covering of God, originally wore elaborate costumes comprised mainly of fig leaves until she developed an allergic rash and now wears one single feather from the Bird of Paradise...in her hair.

 

Sariel, Fire of God, is a true living flame, and the troupe has learned to choreograph numbers where the others do not have to follow her footsteps.

 

Kafziel, Speed of God, moves so quickly she seems to disappear in one place, only to reappear somewhere else.    She is to the choreography of each number as punctuation is to grammatically correct writing.  She is also mischievous and provokes the others with her practical jokes.

 

Ananchel, Grace of God, appears to be liquid, so smooth are her movements, and she is, appropriately enough, covered in every shade of aqua and blue known to Man and a few thousand that Man will never see outside of Heaven.   She is also the troupe’s spokesangel, as she has the grace and manners to match any royal queen in  earth’s short history.

 

These six have been dancing on the Proverbial Pinhead for a millennia, or at least as far back as the first debate among the elders concerning the number of angels that could dance on a pinhead.   No one can remember exactly how this subject was introduced, or it’s relevance to anyone’s Orthodox Rules to Live and Breathe By.  But certain enterprising young saints, now currently involved in more practical pursuits such as Stigmata Stain Removal, decided the Proverbial Pinhead was just the kind of place the downtown section of Heaven needed.  This was, of course, in the event that an elder actually qualified to pass through the Pearly Gates and needed to put to rest this burning question of Religious Dogma and Theory.  Also, provided that such an academic could negotiate the golden thoroughfares without being forever caught up in a rousing round robin of Best of the Cantor Hits through the Ages.

 

The Proverbial Pinhead serves the traditional loaves and fishes, but has recently expanded its menu to include vegetarian manna and tofu with sun-dried fig sauce.  Few vegetarians make it to heaven, hunger makes them mean-spirited, but the two true ascetics that frequent The Proverbial Pinhead made special requests and Martha, sister of Lazarus and Patron Saint of cooks and dieticians, and now Head Chef of The Proverbial Pinhead, felt obliged to comply with their humble request.  Now the two spend all their days gorging on manna and tofu and taking turns beating the holy stuffing out of each other.   Any elder who should stumble in may substitute the loaves and fishes for a bagel and lox.

 

There are a number of activities to enjoy at the Proverbial Pinhead.  They include the David and Goliath Rock Pits,  popular with the kids and small women, the Water Walk Pool, favored by clergy who barely squeaked in due to low marks on honest self-appraisal,  the Eden Park and Wildlife Preserve, and the Moses Mountain Climb and Tablet Toss.  Prizes range from chariot rides and authentic Joseph Multi-Color Coats to a luxurious pleasure cruise on the S.S. Ark.   Word on the gold-paved streets is the food aboard this historical craft is double portioned and there’s plenty of variety.

 

If you should make your way to downtown Heaven, go to the Straight and Narrow Causeway and hang a left.  If you find yourself in the Valley of Death, you didn’t hang a left, and should turn and run to the nearest King Solomon APM (Automated Prayer Machine) for guidance.

 

© 2017 Carol Cashes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is why I love your writing & your wit & your zinging imagination! Only YOU can conjure up that sassy know-it-all commanding expertise-laden bullshit voice. It's so unique to you, but in this piece, it is pinging like dancing swine with bells on. Even tho this is a great load of crap that makes us laugh and wince at the same time, there's also a respectable bit of story-crafting which must be admired. I mean, that you even got on this topic at all, then that you decreed the real answer. I could see you becoming popular with a blog that gives the skinny on all things profound . . . your spoof on SNOPES . . . declaring hilarious profundity out your a*s! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Good god. What is going on your head Carol? What an incredible piece of invention or you are b*****s. Imagination on steroids doesn't get close. You make this almost believable.
Seriously it's great to read something like this but how many pinheads can dance on an angel?
Impressed! - Alan

Posted 4 Years Ago


"Stigmata Stain Removal," the absolute best!

Posted 6 Years Ago


But i beg to ask the question, "How big is a pin-head?" It's a bit like "How long is a piece of string?"

Nonetheless, i presume these 6 angels are the constant on any pin-head and maybe there are visitors who come to blessed from time to time ?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I would imagine it was larger than we know them today, this burning question has been around for cen.. read more
Stella Armour

6 Years Ago

maybe... i like superstitions
Appears you've given this a great deal of thought.
Do the six maintain constant contact with the point during their dance or do they take turns hitting that surface?--in pairs or some other variation.
You have a gift for the humor/sarcasm genre, Carol.
Very nicely done!


Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Having not seen their performance first hand, I can only speculate...and risk being labeled a false .. read more
' Sachiel,.. .. ..wears one single feather from the Bird of Paradise...in her hair. '.. .. .. OH, so that's who she is.. lives diagonally across the road.. we've waved!
How wonderfully naughty and tongue-in-cheek your story is... love it to bits!!! Has had me smiling or laughing throughout.. even had to slide back to check for vegetarian recipes.. hmmmn.. the Pinhead doesn't allow more than a few good mannahs from your heaven but.. will happen in Time Infinitisimal, no doubt. Your Picture Palace in downtown Heaven is on my Must Do before I dye my clothes skyblue and bottle green. So, may i be in your fan club, please, very much... will share recipes.. dust, brush and occasionally lust for the kind of fun on offer. Such a clever, devilish and witty piece of writing..

Posted 6 Years Ago


emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Blast, wanted another long grin! Mean, aren't I but you can't help liking me... get orf and away, E.. read more
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Well, let's make sure they make the next party: My regal self (and swiftly widening a*s) is planted.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

You write superbly and make happy mockery of what turns out to be wet not dry as promised.. Guess .. read more
Ah, miss cynical, jaded, and just this side of bitter.
Having done the moses climb, and tossed the tablet.
I can conclude you are probably right. Also you're right about that turn into the valley of death. I drove blindly into it, due to my stubbornness of asking for directions. Luckily Kakabel saved me. I think you're onto something here.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

As a small woman, I loved the David and Goliath pit! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for readin.. read more
Paul Bell

6 Years Ago

Pleasure. I love this kind of stuff.
I'm more confuse now than I was. I believe I met angels and demons in my life. Either one led me to different path. You left the reader with something to think about my friend. Thank you Carol for sharing the interesting story and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Especially enjoyed the business concerning Martha. I thought that was inventive and well done. In regard to the numbers of angels I have no quarrel with anyone's estimate. As a long standing member of the Baptist church I have a serious quibble with the dancing part.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked Martha. This was just a little poke at some of the dogma that can consume as opp.. read more
Ha! Hilarious and angelically pedantic! Wheels paid to spin and arrive at drivel- what else is new? Well, that aside, this is a most excellent diatribe and satire. Ananchel is my favorite Pinhead (!)- she fits my color scheme. By the way, I have a dinner reservation tonight at the "Proverbial Pinhead". Care to join me??

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Yup, I hear the loaves and fishes are to die for.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

615 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2017
Last Updated on June 9, 2017
Tags: fiction, humor

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..