Friday Night at Writer's Cafe

Friday Night at Writer's Cafe

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

A few thoughts fueled by insomnia and the talent struttin' this site

"

Friday nights on this site are like a new club in town�"it’s on and poppin’!

 

Love reading the talent here:  it’s inspiring, wistful, encouraging, and sometimes downright sad.  It’s exciting to see so many young writers who can mix it up with the best of the old dogs.  Youngbloods, keep writing. 

 

I am learning to appreciate poetry in all its many forms.  Even dabbed a little myself, but by no means, am I a poet.  Unless I don’t know it…(ya’ll saw what I did there, right?)  I will try again, but for now, I think I’ll just read and learn.

 

I appreciate all of you who have read my work.  I know I seem to have no one voice:  a little girl caught in Katrina’s flood waters, a superstitious heroine, a folksy Grocer who remembers and keeps the tales of his neighbors, a sentient bridge, a philosophical essay on purpose…don’t be put off by any one piece �" try another, it’ll be different and maybe more to your liking.  Just read…it’s what all authors need, and I’m no different.

 

I’m trying to read new or un-reviewed posts hoping to encourage anyone who is brave enough to put it out there.  That can be a little unnerving in the beginning, but when you get encouragement and constructive critiques, it becomes easier and soon becomes easy as air.  It’s one thing when your friends and family tell you that your writing is good, but you know it comes from a place of love and contrarily we tend to not trust that.  When a stranger tells you the same thing, you feel validated.  Artists are so conflicted…

 

Well, I’ve more reading to do, and insomnia is my friend, tonight, so I’ll be around for a little while this fine Friday night at the Writer’s Café �" where the stories are hot and the poetry is delicious.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Carol Cashes


Author's Note

Carol Cashes
Just a few thoughts while I ponder my next read

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved your write Carol, it was entertaining and refreshing. This site is unique as it brings people of different cultures, nations and personalities together. I hope to trade stories and poems with you and we should be able to help each other. Your story is told in a home spun matter, like most of my own so we should be able to get along fine.
Peace,
Richie b.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I'm a morning person, so my reading sessions are done while I'm waiting for the day to warm up some, so I can move! I love seeing someone describing this place as a great place -- it has been for me, for sure. In two years, I've grown so much in my writing here, reading all these other types of writing I may not even have considered before. Many people rant about this & that, but in the long run, there's so much more to be offered, than what's being complained about. As you say in a different way: be the solution you seek . . . you show us how to be a good participant, which ups our chances of having a good experience here! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


I love your reflections on the newer writers on Writer's Cafe. Like you, I try to read the new, unreviewed writings, to encourage the new writers, and to give them some constructive criticism and support.

I love the image of Writer's Cafe as a "real" gathering place. It's great!

Thanks for sharing your insomnia-inspired thoughts and reflections.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I enjoyed this. It's no wonder Jesus said, "A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house." And I could relate that the same is true of a poet or an artist. But a poet or an artist among poets and artists is an appreciated presence for every poet and artist is a country of his own. The boundaries and borders of such imaginary lands are formed by the soul and enforced by the heart. And as Shakespeare said, "This above all: to thine own self be true." But every tourist vacations, not in his own land, but in another. Here, we can visit the myriad dreams and creations of others. We have our own country but we are citizens of an expanding world.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ah, but have you considered that your Friday night is someone else's Saturday morning? :) There's a whole bunch of treasure on here if you can sift through the garbage. Nicely written Carol.
- proud fellow cafe citizen!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Writers cafe is good for the soul. Lovely write.

Posted 6 Years Ago


The contributions of many prolific and gifted WC artists certainly creates a stimulating atmosphere.
"Friday Night at Writer's Cafe" uniquely adds to that vibe.
Delightful read, Carol!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Wrote that last Friday night, thinkin' 'bout updating the club scene again, tonight. And thanks for.. read more
yes, family is usually so supportive no matter what, but when strangers compliment it means much more....i had to find strangers to find my writing accepted...my parents are old fashioned...well, were...and from a different generation....my dad always said "what are you going to do with that? can you get a job in poetry?"
when i used to do my poetry workshops with the heartland writers group, i felt so at home...novelists, poets, editors and agents...all involved in writing, all those who understood and accepted me...it was amazing...
strangers who understood and became friends.
I really relate to this piece.
j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I've written about the cafe many times. I consider the youngbloods to be better than me and I enjoy reading many of them. When insomnia hits this is a great place to come to. Artists are indeed conflicted. I fall into that category for sure.

Nicely written Carol. I enjoyed. :)

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

645 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2017
Last Updated on June 24, 2017
Tags: essay

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Feeling it Feeling it

A Poem by Franky