A Few Thoughts On Freedom

A Few Thoughts On Freedom

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

**THIS POST IS SOLELY THE OPINION OF THIS AUTHOR AND IS NOT MEANT TO BE INFLAMMATORY OR DISRESPECTFUL.**

"

I have stayed out of the political rhetoric posted on this site as I agree, disagree and sometimes just don’t understand some of them.  However, on this Independence Day, I’m gonna let Freedom Ring, and speak my piece.


The United States of America is first, and foremost, a republic.  This means that each and every individual has the same rights as the person next to them.  While it has democratic characteristics, the difference is wide and far reaching:  democracy is too many times nothing more than mob rule.  Our Founding Fathers never meant for a majority to decide what is best for all.  Understand that your constitutional rights have only been infringed when there is physical or civil damage.  This does not include your feelings.  Being offended is not a loss of rights.  I detest and abhor the KKK and neo-nazis and others too numerous to name, however, if they obtain a legal permit, they can march.  If they hurt me or blow up my car, they have violated the Constitution and are subject to any and all penalties that apply. 


It is hard to swallow the hate that too many groups and organizations spout.  It is difficult to accept vile and distasteful words.  But if they do not trespass or damage my property, or trip me when I walk by, they are free to do so


In the light of today’s growing unrest and dissatisfaction with leadership and rampant abuse of power, it becomes difficult to separate rights from offense.  Sadly, our public schools do not teach our children to think for themselves, but in these last years, have become forums for promoting their personal agendas.  Example:  “Separation of Church and State!!” is shouted at many town halls and protests.  Too many do not understand the concept and the intent of the Founding Fathers.  It means that the government will not advocate any one religion and all are welcome.  This was an easy premise to apply in earlier years when Christianity was the predominant belief system in this young country,  but with the influx and growing numbers of alternate religions, it has become more difficult to distinguish between true separation and exclusion.   These two ideas are separate and distinct, and it has become increasingly difficult to interpret and apply laws accordingly.


Distribution of wealth has been touted as the only “fair” and “socially responsible” avenue of eliminating poverty and hunger.  I vehemently disagree.  Yes, I acknowledge that there are corporate pirates who are without moral compasses and who twist laws and regulations to pursue greed and power.  Yes, I acknowledge that morally corrupt individuals prey on the innocent.  Yes, I acknowledge that social and economic factors and trends keep some demographic groups in a viscous circle of hopelessness.  What I do not agree with is being told that my success must be shared.  It is the morally right thing to do:  care for those less fortunate, give to charity or help someone in need.  But you cannot write a law that says I have to.  You cannot legislate morality.  You can regulate ethical business procedures and policies.  You can write administrative law to oversee and penalize those whose ethical behavior is corrupt.  But morals are not ethics.  I can be morally corrupt, guilty of infidelity or greed, but my business or professional ethics can meet or exceed standards.  There are many who will have a hard time grasping the difference.  In this convoluted world of today, the lines have become blurred.   One example are laws that force me into contract (i.e.:  car insurance).  While it is the morally correct and financially responsible thing to do, and it protects all parties, to require that I obtain insurance for my vehicle is a direct violation of my Constitutional right not to enter into a contract.  Again, this is another example of blurred lines between intent and application.  


My right to bear arms is inviable.  *sigh*  Yes, there are stone-zip crazy people out there.  Yes, there are zealots and fanatics.  Yes, guns are too easily obtainable by children and criminals.  But these factors do not outweigh my Constitutional right to protect my life.  Period.  A lot of the issues that would lend credence to any argument against gun ownership can be traced directly to failure to consistently enforce existing law.  This topic also stands as another issue where the lines have become blurred and almost invisible, and there are valid points on each side.  I feel that regarding this matter, emotions run high and reason can be misplaced. 


I contemplated whether or not I would respond to any “reviews” of this post.  Probably not.  I fully expect disagreement and appalled reactions.  But, this is America, free speech is still my Constitutional right, just as it is yours to disagree.  It is these very disagreements that shaped the final draft of the Constitution (i.e.:   the Federalist Papers).   


May you all celebrate (or not!) this day of Freedom.  Many cannot express themselves freely or even disagree with the leadership they live under.  We are blessed by who or whatever you think is the higher power, and even if you don’t believe there is one, it is your perfect right to.

© 2017 Carol Cashes


Author's Note

Carol Cashes
My opinions on freedoms as defined by the Constitution

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with some of what you wrote, such as there's no right to not be offended. But other things, not so much:

“democracy is too many times nothing more than mob rule.” No, “mob rule” implies a disregard for the law, whereas it is often said that we are a “nation of laws, not of men”. Pure democracy is impractical with the large population of the US, but seems to work very well in, for example, New England town meetings. 

“Our Founding Fathers never meant for a majority to decide what is best for all.” True; at that time senators were selected by state legislatures, and only white males who owned sufficient property were allowed to vote. But we’ve evolved past that, based on the finding that rich, powerful people are not necessarily smarter or more moral than non-rich, non-powerful people. Also the idea that the people who fight and die in wars should have some say in whether or not to start one.

“Distribution of wealth has been touted as the only “fair” and “socially responsible” avenue of eliminating poverty and hunger.” I don’t recall anyone ever claiming that. But any system of taxation is a “distribution of wealth”.

Successful businesses in this country are successful because of the hard work, skill, intelligence, luck, etc of their owners and employees, AND because of this country’s infrastructure: its schools, roads, police, judicial system, etc. (If you think not, and think your company’s success, the Acme Widget Company, is due solely to your efforts, then try to start up a widget-making company in, say, a dirt-poor country in the middle of Africa and see how many widgets you sell, or how many skilled, literate employees you can find to hire to make them.) And taxes are what pay for that infrastructure that, combined with your ability, allows your company to succeed.

“…to require that I obtain insurance for my vehicle is a direct violation of my Constitutional right not to enter into a contract.” I wasn’t aware of any such right not to enter into a contract, although I could be wrong about this. And you’re perfectly free not to enter into a contract to insure your vehicle. But there is no Constitutional right to drive a car; so, no insurance, no driving on the roads and the streets that the government built for all of us insurance-buying drivers.

“My right to bear arms is inviable.” No it’s not. You can’t own a bazooka; you can’t own a tank; you can’t own a nuclear bomb. The original intent of the 2nd amendment was all about militias being able to be formed and be armed. So, from this intent, you can own an arm if and only if you’re in a milita.

“But these factors do not outweigh my Constitutional right to protect my life.” A lot of people think that the best way to protect your life and of everyone else is to not have so many armed people. And to support this view all you have to do is to look at a country like England, (or almost ANY country that don’t have a 2nd amendment but does have strict gun laws) and compare the number of people killed by guns here with the number killed in those other countries. It’s at least an order of magnitude difference.

And as to the “failure to consistently enforce existing law”, the NRA and its lapdogs in Congress work overtime in gutting any and all of these “existing laws”.



Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Jerome Malenfant

6 Years Ago

“Misunderstanding the difference between a right and a privilege has been the source of a lot conf.. read more
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Every time that I cited a specific Amendment, my explanation is based on a decision of the Highest C.. read more
Jerome Malenfant

6 Years Ago

Ok, and thanks for your response.



Reviews

I am pretty well politically neutral, except to offer that the "game" of politics (in general) seems almost dysfunctionally convoluted to any sense of expedience toward the direction of direly needed progress … to my mind's-eye, of course.
Your words are so completely appealing to me, so harmonious, so deeply as meaningfully and balanced in every aspect with my own values, insights, and conscious outlooks and understandings, that we could well be twins, and I mean this, because in some very literal ways reading you is akin to looking into a mental, intellectual, emotional, and conscious mirror, with the exception of one thing:
Ridding the laws of liability auto insurance that protect others and holds us accountable for our own actions, would free everyone from being financially responsible for their careless, unthinking, uncaring, and accidental acts toward each other.
Automobile liability insurance assures us all that this does not occur, and that we do not fall financial victims to other's actions, materially, medically, and financially. Leaving this aspect of our lives to a moral compass and those who are not financially able to bear the burden of liability simply will not work. Time and circumstance have proven the need for mandated automobile liability insurance.
For as much as I so highly regard and respect my own degree of intelligence and high level of consciousness, I perceive it in yours, and in doing so, it is unlikely you fail to see the need and right for each of us to be legally protected by liability automobile insurance much differently than I do.
Having said all that, I believe your mind works amazingly well for a southern Mississippi gal … LOL!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Most all liability insurances have a non-insured motorist rider. Do you know the real reason why?read more
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Coherent and clear, Carol:
Nothing manmade I've ever heard of is perfect, but just think of t.. read more
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Click it! That is a "traffic" and personal safety issue, as opposed to fundamental rights.
.. read more
As a Brit and thus, part of our convoluted planet, i find your words absolutely incredible. They obviously come from a thinking brain and a strong heart. You've explained this and that in the process of putting out your opinions and - may i add, in a calm, logical manner. Polite too re those who you already know might disagree.. that is so rare in this bombastic state of parliaments almost everywhere.

Have you thought of standing for office?

Thank you.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

There is no way that I would risk my integrity by becoming a part of the very element that has contr.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Cpould have said a lot more, am a somewhat political creature.. but.. anyone who wants to know my op.. read more
I could address each issue, but hopefully it's enough to say you and I are pretty much on the same page. Perhaps a small difference or two, but not much. More than any other rule I try to live by is "Treat others as you would like to be treated."

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

The Golden Rule works with individuals, too bad our government doesn't operate on that premise...
I know I said I "probably" wouldn't respond to reviews, but I am interested in other's opinions. If you think I'm wrong, change my mind.

Posted 6 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

905 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 4, 2017
Last Updated on July 4, 2017
Tags: essay

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bang, Bang Bang, Bang

A Poem by MsJewel