My Mother

My Mother

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

EEHHH...Just Read, Part III

"

After writing “EEHHH…No Title, Just Read”, in which I disclose that my mother is dying, I’ve been remembering so many things about her and, while all are worth sharing, I will write to you of the best.


Sorry men.  Not apologetic men.  But “sah-ree” men.  These are men who are low class, no class, lyin’, cheatin’ wife beaters.  And according to my mother there is only one cure �" a rusty axe.


She’s not talking about murder.  Nope.  She’s talking about using a rusty sharp object to remove their…well, I’ll go with clinical so as to not offend anyone’s sensibilities�"their testicles. 


This has always made me laugh.  Don’t know what it says about me as a person, but imagine!  A lyin’ cheatin’ wife beater losing the very thing they think makes them a man.  Ha!  Rusty axes, indeed.


I told her one day that I wanted to write a story about The Rusty Axe Choir, you know, all sopranos?   Still working out the logistics of that:  do they meet at the Annual “Missing” Ball?  Or a support group for Sorry Men Who Are Now Really, Really Sorry?  So many options, and so little time now to write it for her. 


As her health has been failing for some time now, she tells me that when friends call and ask “How are you?”, she replies “Is that a greeting or a question?”  Most don’t really get it, but she’s put it out there, and pretty much knows who really wants to know about her condition that day and who wants to gossip.  As her time is growing short, she would, if she could, limit conversation to more important matters, but also understands that some people are uncomfortable with stark and hard truths, and must fill the time with inconsequential chatter as a means of staying connected.


Hospice has not been called in officially, yet.  During the consultation, they advised her that she would have to give up all her doctors.  Medicaid/Medicare will only pay for one or the other�"the doctor(s) or hospice.  That would be okay�"with one exception, her eye doctor.  This is the heartless b*****d that pokes a very long needle into her eyeball every thirty days so that she can continue to see, with the aid of a bright light and a magnifying glass.  She’s not ready to give up sight, yet, and will make that decision when her pain and inability to care for herself becomes too much.   This seems so unfair that she would have to choose.  But I was told (ordered!) by her not to worry about it, there will be plenty of worry material later in the final days.  Of course, my petulant, adolescent mind said “Hmmph!  She can’t tell me what to do�"I’m grown”, but, of course she’s right.  I have plenty to worry about without “borrowing trouble” as she calls it.


My mother is the quintessential Southern Belle.  It’s a religion, for those who aren’t acquainted with it personally, one I’ve strayed from a great deal in the last years.  I do, however, have ingrained in me certain codes of behavior that I still adhere to.  There is NEVER a time or place for wailing and flailing about in public.  EVER.  That is reserved for when you are behind closed doors.  In public, dignity and composure is the manner in which you comport yourself, and anything less is unacceptable.  Although some of you might find it hard to believe, but outside of my home (or my car!), I do not make scenes or raise my voice.  I have mastered the art of telling someone to go straight to hell and don’t take no cussin’ turns without sharing it with anyone not in the conversation.  Yup, that’s me�"Miss Manners.


This is just a brief sharing of some of the things on my mind this morning.  I know there is more to come, and will exorcise demons and share her words of wisdom as needed.


Thanks to all who read these posts.  The writing helps me sort both my feelings and thoughts through this process and is as necessary as my coffee and my cats.

 

 

 

© 2017 Carol Cashes


Author's Note

Carol Cashes
Part III of EEHHH...Just Read

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

your Mother reminds me so much of mine.. although not a Southern Belle.. my Mom also had a way of dressing one down without profanity or raising her voice above "private conversation" and she also had her "cure" for men of low character.. I like the 'Missing Ball" although my Mom would have gone a bit farther.. She was diagnosed with her final battle five years before any of her children knew and made no concession to it.. we had to find out from her Doctor.. she always said that we all had to pay the piper sooner or later.. my Mom was full on Nebraska Swede.. I had a client once that was from generations of Louisiana culture.. she was the first real Southern Woman I ever met.. I have a much deeper respect because of her.. again I thank you for sharing your Mother with us..

Posted 6 Years Ago


I understand the way you wrote this, as an outpouring of things on your mind, some scattered, some well-thought-out. This is a good example for others who have not yet grown into a healthy bit of self-preservation, as an example about how to be sincerely caring without sacrificing your well-being. I like this entire trilogy as an outpouring without crafting. But if you ever wanted to (or maybe you already have), you could write an entire piece about how your mom has made "southern belle" an artform. That could be done with much fun & playfulness, but alas this piece is a bit heavy, so we don't appreciate that little tidbit as much, maybe! Thanks for sharing your honesty.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I had already considered a piece on the Southern Belle Doctrine and you're right, it was an outpouri.. read more
From your desription your Mother sounds honourable and dignified but with, (you would call it Sass. I would as a Brit call it Cheek) fun.
This is a beautiful and moving piece. Even the bit about the rusty axe which caused me to nod even whilst crossing my legs instinctively.
As a little aside I was reminded of my Auntie Mabel who in an attempt to sound posh would call the hospice she was in a 'Horsepiss'. Which I thought was wonderful.
May your Mother continue to present her diginity to the world for as long as she wishes.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Your last line is my greatest wish for her. As one who has always acted with elegant grace in publi.. read more
It is always interesting to read another's writing on what's happening in their lives. Your mother sounds lovely, and a motley threat with her rusty axe! I hope all goes reasonably peacefully.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

My mother is one of the most interesting, intelligent and CONTRARY women I've ever known. I love he.. read more
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

6 Years Ago

I was with my mum at her last breath I wouldn't of missed that for the world it was a blessing that.. read more
Great Aunt Astri

6 Years Ago

Don't dwell on what ght happen .. just enjoy the days you have now.
Wow, this brought back so many painful memories. It is a beautiful and honest tribute to your mother in her last days. Sometimes those days are the most golden for sharing and feeling. Great description of "the quintessential Southern Belle"- "it's a religion."-great! You share her feistiness, down-to-earth-ness and no-nonsense-ness (!) .My mom went through the needle treatment also. She never made it to Hospice care. The hardest time ever. I still can't talk about it. Sending peace and blessings.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

You're a nurse so I know you'll understand when I say I hope that she dies in her sleep. Lung cance.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

I understand it all. I remember. So hard. You are doing your best for your mom. Doing what she wants.. read more
Carol, I just love your open minded honesty that allows you to be so objective about your mother and yet leave your readers convulsed with your uninhibited humour..
On a serious musical note, however, I feel that your "castrati" choir would be counter-tenors rather than sopranos, therefore completely wrecking any of Mozart's. coloratura passages . Just a small technical point, but...........:-)
I admire the positive and strong approach that both you and your mother have in supporting each other during this time. N.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

See? I know little of "castrati" but a lot about the "hooey" these sorry men spout.
Thanks f.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
OUCH!!!
When I went for my vasectomy, clean shaven, ( misguidedly applying apres rasage, and then running around like a scalded cat, before dunking my bits in a basin of cold water) the doctor took great delight in snipping the unwanted tube from my sack,then waved it in my face, explaining as to what it was. WANKER !! It looked like a small piece of pasta, although I wouldn't have wanted to have dined on it. Ciabatta and testicle tube in galic and tomato sauce, mmmmmm, lovely.
Ain't got a clue where I'm going with this, just babbling.
Anyways Carol keep posting, my thoughts and best wishes are with you and " mum "



Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, and I'll be with her when she "pops her clogs" She is making this easy for me, .. read more
I was with my father and my grandparent till the end. I was glad I was with them. Some things break our heart. I believe all we can do. Is make every moment good ones. I hope you have free time to spend with your mother.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Yes, they do. My mother and I cared for her father until his death, and it surprisingly made it eas.. read more
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I'm glad. Sometime we must make time.
First i crossed my legs. Then i went into panic, thinking of a choir of rusty axe women running amok through town. Now what would you say you've taken off your mother. Apart from the rusty axe.
I know it'll be tough from now on. So you keep writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

*laughing* I'm more like her than I would have liked to know as an adolescent, but am quite all rig.. read more
Paul Bell

6 Years Ago

That's the way to go about it.
The end, it will come. We probably don't want it to, but have always known it would. Some may have great fear of that time in their lives, while others accept it. Like flowers that bloom in the spring, we have only an allotted time in the sun before the season changes. It's a wondrous design, though it makes us cry. May she be free of pain and bathed in love.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Sam. Nothing about the Rusty Axe?
Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

Oh, that. Heh-heh, I guess I forgot.
Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I'm guessin' you won't be joinin' the choir? *laughing* This ain't no voluntary "army", gettin' dr.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2017
Last Updated on July 27, 2017
Tags: nonfiction

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chasing Cars Chasing Cars

A Poem by MsJewel