Miss Sophie

Miss Sophie

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

Obituary for Miss Sophie Lorraine Cashes

"

Yesterday I had to make the hard decision to put Miss Sophie down.  She was fifteen and absolutely, positively, without a doubt, hands down and bar none the goofiest, most ridiculously silly dog I have ever had the privilege and honor of being responsible for.  She was half Boston Terrier and half Toy Poodle with a stocky body and chest and spindly legs.  She looked as goofy as she acted.  She was smart, a good dog, but silly as a little kid on their birthday--every day of her life.  She was my mother’s dog until she was about six months old.  When my grandfather required hospice and my mother and I cared for him until his death, she moved into my grandparent’s home.  They had no fenced yard, but I have a third acre lot with a six foot privacy fence.  She never forgot my mother, and would lose her damn mind when my mother would come over.  She always “minded” us, but I could yell her name over and over when my mother was there and she would literally give me that look that said “You ain’t my real mama”. 

 

She was not ill.  She was not injured.  She had a stroke on Saturday that left her with no memory of her surroundings or us.  She paced and circled and slept.  She refused food and water.  She left us before her death. 

 

My heart was filled with so much doubt as to whether it was the right thing to do.  She wasn’t “suffering” as we know it.  However, my mother, who gave us the dog, and my wonderful vet both assured me that her refusal of food and water was her way of saying “I’m gone, now let me go.”

 

This dog blessed us, loved us, and I am grieving her as I would any family member.  My heart is broken, but my conscience is clean about my decision.  My vet, who cried as she administered the final injection, told me that she’s never, ever heard anyone say they wished they had waited, but has heard over and over many times that they wish they had not waited as long as they did.

 

All dogs go to heaven…Miss Sophie, your “real” Mama will see you soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Carol Cashes


Author's Note

Carol Cashes
My heart is broken

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Miss Sophie rocks.
Always sad when the dog goes.
They definitely become part of you.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Miss Sophie, may you find your way to Heaven and embrace the angels before the devil knows you dead.

Rest in Peace and God Bless

Sheer Terror

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

The angels were definitely waitin' on this little clown. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
TerryDarcy-Ryan   akaSheerTerror

6 Years Ago

I am sorry for your lost I hope you find peace with this
Your pain is understood and shared. I'm so very sorry.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Mr. Dickens. They come, they conquer, then they're gone all too soon. But realistic pet.. read more
Its really emotional and touching........
Life is made of small pieces and if suddenly one piece is broken, its really hard......
But at some point it will heal dear friend....



Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I've never had an animal that impacted (or invaded!) my home and heart like this little goofy dog di.. read more
AcasualPawn

6 Years Ago

Sure, she would also be happy to met with you.....
Oh you make me cry Carol. R.I.P Miss Sophie and be young again at The Rainbow Bridge. Heaven is where all our dogs are. My heart is with you dear friend.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Annette. It's been two days, and I'm still looking for her in the kitchen, on the bed..... read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

I know the feeling. Like a big hole in your life. Your heart physically aches for her. But not gone,.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

603 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 23, 2017
Last Updated on August 23, 2017
Tags: nonfiction

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..