LETTERS I WROTE AFTER KATRINA

LETTERS I WROTE AFTER KATRINA

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

JLetters I wrote to our local newspaper that appeared in print. Just change Mississippi to Texas/Florida, every word still holds true

"

January 26th, 2006

 

To the Editor, Sun Herald:

 

There have been many lists of heroes generated by the assault and aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but I feel it’s important that this list be added:

 

To every woman whose last thought was of her children, first hoping they would survive and then hoping that they wouldn’t grieve “overmuch” as she went under water for the last time.

 

To every woman who lied the universal lie (“I’m fine”) when asked if they were all right.

 

To every woman who cried when a single unbroken cup or saucer from her grandmother’s china was found beneath a ton of debris.

 

To every mother who stood in long lines in the hot Mississippi sun with her small children for aid �" be it food, water, ice or funds.

 

To every woman who learned how to use a chain saw, start an old and contrary generator, who pushed a car three blocks in a gas line, and who learned to make a picnic feast out of MRE’s.

 

To every woman in Colorado who turned off CNN, and went to her kitchen window but never saw the pristine snow-capped mountains in the distance for the tears she shed for us.

 

To every woman who replaced her Dillard’s credit card with an EBT card, and foraged through tons of clothing, in the hot sun, for her children’s sizes, and whose heart secretly bled for the teen-aged daughter who may not have a Junior or Senior prom that would require the perfect dress or shoes.

 

To every woman who secretly fell just a little bit in love with every man in uniform �" from the National Guard to the Oregon Policeman,  who came, not to enforce martial law, but to rescue and assist, just like real Knights in Shining Armor.

 

To every woman who came down here because she knew in her heart that another woman needed her to come to this place and bathe her child, cook a meal, scrub her walls, or hold her while she cries the tears she hides.

 

To all of you and any I missed, God will bless you.

 

Carol A. Cashes

Woolmarket

[email protected]

 


To The Men Beside the Women of Katrina:

 

For every man who is still shaken by his inability to keep his family and home safe, never mind the size or scope of the assault.

 

For every man who cried unashamed at the total destruction to his home, his neighborhood, and his community.

 

For every man whose heart cracked as he watched his wife break her last manicured nail when she sifted or tried to remove the impossible amount of debris in her world; and, in the next instant, never loved her more as it swelled with pride when she mastered that old and cranky generator or wielded the chainsaw like a seasoned lumberjack.

 

For every man who hopes he never hears his wife cry as she did in those first days and weeks, but, is also grateful to hear it as he grieves with his neighbor who lost his wife and will never hear her cry again.

 

For every man who is deeply ashamed to be dependent on his adult children for even the basics of life �" food and shelter - never mind their willingness or desire to help, because that’s just not the natural order of things

 

For every man who prays fervently to God every night to provide the strength for just one more day; the “big picture” now being a luxury of the past.

 

For every man who is humbled by the number of people who want only to help and will always wonder if he would have been as quick to leave his home for weeks or months because another man - a fellow American - was in trouble; but knowing now, without doubt, that he will when the time comes.

 

For every man whose faith in God was tested and found, but whose faith in his government is now irreparably shaken; taking away his underlying, almost unconscious, sense of safety and security in this country in ways that 9/11 never did.

 

For every man still here �" not giving up because his wife, his children, his family, his friends, and his fellow Americans are with him every step, every day.

 

God will bless you, too, as he does all who learn and grow from life's trials and tribulations and are stronger and better men for it.

 

Carol A. Cashes

Woolmarket

[email protected]

 

   

© 2017 Carol Cashes


Author's Note

Carol Cashes
I wrote these tributes after Katrina and they appeared in our local paper. The response was overwhelming and humbling. May these words touch you and give you some hope, peace and faith.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your words have moved me to tears. I can't adequately express the emotions I feel after reading these passages. Thank you for sending these messages to your newspaper, making a difference in this very special way, by acknowledging and soothing the wounds that don't always show on the outside.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Blessed Be...

I've lost count of the losses I've survived... but never failed to reach out to help so others COULD survive.

Posted 6 Years Ago


very well written my dear very good writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Thanks for reading my work, Genocide. That means a lot to me. Check your messages, I'm back from h.. read more
genocide

6 Years Ago

f*****g a my dear
well written and how thoughtful of you

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I personally watched these men and women in the early days after Katrina. Many "heroes", but the on.. read more
What an inspiring and riveting piece of writing, Carol. Whilst you pay tribute to the stoicism and strenght of your people,. similar to you for reminding us how it was and is even to this day. I recall the pics of what was happening and its aftermath.. longside the coverage of the people's attempts to keep going. Remember too that it took forever to get administrative help to re.build and reform the 'sorrier' areas. The way folk work together in times of stress is remarkable. Lord know why they can't do the same day to day, time long.

We see same now with what's been happening in the CAribean, Kansas and Florida.. tho iwi the looting and downright burglary is.. *(^&^^& !

Praise and applause to all those who suffered in the past, they deserve golden recommendations -each and every one. And you have part given in the way you've written. Thank you for caring and sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I watched these men and women firsthand, and my tributes were the best that I could contribute at th.. read more
strong with emotional vibes that perfectly narrated a united and emphatic environment after Katrina. I watched the devastation caused by the hurricanes on CNN but your work took me into the minds and hearts of all those who suffered the natural disasters.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

I was here in Biloxi, and witnessed most of who I tried to acknowledge and honor. Southern men have.. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

the first part really ignited the feminist with in me
the second part made me grateful for .. read more
I could feel the strength, sorrow, sympathy and gratefulness in your words. I can visualize the affected and I could them through your words. Deep! love it

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading in it all the qualities that I observed after Katrina. They deserved to be po.. read more
WC does not allow copy & paste option. :(

Posted 6 Years Ago


Hi Carol, As I only have ipad up here, i could only send link to your posted letters to relatives & friends. Also sent them that way , with explanation, to the Town Council Mayor of Lake Clarke Shores where I live. Palm Beach Sun Herald is trickier, but still trying. Xo

Posted 6 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

845 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 8, 2017
Last Updated on September 8, 2017
Tags: Tributes to the Women and Men Wh

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee


Winter Blues Winter Blues

A Poem by Gee