NATE UPDATE 3

NATE UPDATE 3

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

Not worried yet, but news is concerning

"
Earlier predictions had Nate's landfall closer to Mobile, which is east of Biloxi, and would have put us on the west side, or less turbulent side of the hurricane.
I just saw the latest report that predicts landfall between New Orleans, also about 60 miles from Biloxi,  but on the West side and Gulfport. That puts us in the center of the east side.  Not good, but not a real concern as yet.
Because it bypassed the Yucatan, it has picked up speed and will get progressively stronger upon approach.  Thankfully, it hasn't far to travel, giving it less time to grow.  
This does not change the dangerous storm surges, and tornado activity.  Predictions don't sound like the drenching rain one might expect - only 3 to 6 inches, but again, high winds, storm surge and tornadoes remain a real and valid threat.  
I have always been sensitive to the atmosphere, especially when it's a major weather episode.  The air is still, quiet, and beginning to feel oppressive.  Not like humidity, but like an invisible weight hanging just over the treetops, pushing the air down, almost condensing it.  There are always crickets, frogs and night birds well into December, but tonight, there is only that clear and bright full moon, silence and of course, the stillness.  The animals, cats and baby dogs are getting restless, they can sense the change in the barometric pressure.  Mr. B. however is snoring away like it's any other Friday night and I'm keeping the dogs with me so he's not disturbed.  It's difficult for him to fully rest anyway - usually no more than four hours at a time, so when he does get to sleep, I try to make sure that he can sleep as long as his pain will let him.
Rainbands will move in around 10 am or so this morning and will help to lighten up the heavy feeling in the air.  But that is the start of the storm and other concerns besides heavy air will become more pressing.  We don't have any lawn furniture to secure, just my hammock, but when the wind hits 12 mph, it's time to store and tie down whatever could become a missile, and that is everything.  Even the heavy potted plants.
My mother lives 15 to 20 minutes from me, but after Katrina, which came through on a Monday, there was no cell phone service or land lines and it was Wednesday before the roads were clear enough for me to get to her.  I was ready to hike over rooftops if I had to, but luckily neighbors and our community hit the streets with their chainsaws and opened up the roadways.  Took two days, though, and that was the longest two days of my life.  My brother stayed with her during that storm, so between the two of them they managed with a tree that had crashed right in the middle of her kitchen.  She has no nearby trees anymore, so that is not an issue for her, this time.  Now my brother is gone, and my mother, while deadset on staying, will be alone.  I asked her if she wanted me to stay with her which earned me a hearty snort (yep, it's a genetic thing!).  But she's not foolish and has worked it out with her healthy athletic neighbor to help her with the generator and they have set up a share plan.  My stepsons filled sand bags and placed them around her back door but apparently, Derek, the oldest, decided it wasn't enough, so he went back and filled six more bags that he will deliver to her tomorrow.  
We are fortunate that our trees are not close enough to the house to be a concern should they fall, and our only real concern is, of course, the unpredictable tornadoes.  
This home was built in 1960, as a parsonage for the Baptist Church next door.  The church sold it in 1983, and we purchased it from that owner in 2013.  Katrina, as we all know was a Cat 5 and this house retained its structural integrity, so we are confident in regards to wind damage.  
On the other side of my home, is the small local grocery story that has been in business since the 1970's.  I like to say that I live between God and Groceries.  I bought this house to die in, just not yet. (*that's a joke....*).
I will continue with updates as predictions change and events occur. Move over, Cantore, there's a new reporter in town. 
I hope you are all sleeping tight and can read my rambling reports with your morning coffee.
Signing off,  The Crew:
Miz Carol, Mr. B., The Storm Sisters (Irene and Katrina) One 17 year old Orange Male Manx Cat named Brute, and one 6 year old haughty and sometimes downright snotty black female cat named Maddie.

© 2017 Carol Cashes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Must, once again, praise your organizational mind set. Very impressive--should be reassuring to you, yours and everyone around.
In addition, that expertly woven-in, very sharp, sense of humor is utterly charming.
Makes for a first-class read!

Posted 6 Years Ago


The world is in turmoil. NATE hurricane is concerning. People are evacuating.
This first hand account of your experience is a good example of professional journalism.
Really apt information and update.
*I'll pray*

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Damn! I feel like Ginger Zee on Good Morning America! Wish I was that svelte...and pretty...and th.. read more
Just stepped outside, the air is still very still, but the clouds are already moving in and the full moon is now hidden. It is beginning.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 7, 2017
Last Updated on October 7, 2017

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing