NATE UPDATE 5

NATE UPDATE 5

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

It has officially begun

"
Well, folks, the first band has arrived with driving rain and winds at starting at 17 mph, predicted to be up to 50 mph to 70 mph, and up to 74 mph to 110 mph closest to the storm's core by 7 p.m. Central Time, about 4 hours from now.
I just happened to be outside when it started and there was no warning drizzle, the sky just released a hard stinging rain and that will probably be the case for at least 6 hours, with maybe a small window (an hour or two) then the main band/storm, based on the radar map I pulled up will come in.  Also based on that radar map, looks like the area between eastern Louisiana and most of the Mississippi Gulf Coast is the projected landfall target. 
Mandatory curfews will be in effect from 7 p.m tonight until Sunday at 9 a.m.  7 to 11 feet of storm surge is expected, and the worst tornado and waterspout impacts begin now until Sunday.
I don't expect to lose power until the wind is holding steady at 45 mph to 50 mph, but officials are warning that power could be out as long as 3 to 4 days in some areas.  
If my power goes, so does my wifi/internet, however, I can tether/hotspot my cell to my laptop and make quick reports/check-ins.
Again, I ask that you keep special thoughts/prayers for those who are still emotionally damaged by Katrina.  Just as a soldier carries it with him for life, some of these people experienced life threatening situations that will be with them forever.  These are the folks I'm most worried about.  This is our first hurricane since 2005, we've been very lucky, but as many of you know, emotional scars take much longer to heal than physical ones.
Some of the pressure in my head has already begun to ease now that it's finally here.  It's that build up before it all breaks that I can feel.  Again, no headache, just a tightness, like a headband that's too tight.
We're going to try to eat a hot meal while we still can.  We also still have our Dish satellite coverage, but the wind will knock that out before the power goes.  
Every thing that is made of cloth has been laundered and is ready for whatever comes, including all my blankets in case someone needs them after Sunday.  Yup, folks, plenty of clean underwears - gotta be prepared, you know, like if we are hit by a tornado and have to be rescued - we gots those clean drawers, so Mama won' be 'mbarr'ssed by the first responders talkin' 'bout our nasty behinds! *snort*
This is Miz Carol, reporting live from Biloxi, MS.  Back to you, Cafe...  

© 2017 Carol Cashes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Clean drawers": one of every mother's first principles.
This report is, of course, now old news--very smartly written old news.



Posted 6 Years Ago


You hold tight now. Don't be running around playing the hero.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I hope everything turns out okay for you. I really would have no idea what to do in a situation like that. You seem to be handling it alot better than I ever would. I will be watching anxiously for your next update. Please be safe.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

This is my fourth hurricane in my lifetime. At age 12, I was in Hurricane Camille in 1969. I live.. read more
Prayers, prayers,prayers🙏. Thanks for the expert update my friend. Please stay safe inside and post only when you can.I guess the Storm Sisters will get a new brother??- kidding, kidding? Xo

Posted 6 Years Ago


Carol Cashes

6 Years Ago

Miss Annette, at age 41, when making my mental list of what would be non-negotiable in my next mate,.. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

6 Years Ago

............:):):)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 7, 2017
Last Updated on October 7, 2017

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..