IT'S A GOOD DAY WHEN...

IT'S A GOOD DAY WHEN...

A Story by Carol Cashes
"

MENTIONS: GENOCIDE, COYOTE POETRY, BARLEYGIRL, MISS ANNETTE AND HAYDEN

"

HONORABLE MENTIONS:  GENOCIDE, COYOTE POETRY, BARLEYGIRL, MISS ANNETTE, HAYDEN

 

Today has been an excellent day.  I didn’t have to put on pants or brush my hair.  I showered, brushed my teeth, watched funny Facebook videos for two hours and listened to my husband mutter as he puttered around looking for something to do.  Not anything I’ve asked him to, you understand, but something that would normally immediately irritate me when I got home from work �" *snort* ‘CEPT I AIN’T WORKIN’ NO MORE, so I don’t care what he’s doing as long as he don’t need my help.

Did some “spot” reading at the Café.  There are some new writers and I need to get busy.  ‘Cept my brain is still thinking about the Twitter post on Facebook I read about a guy named Dennis who gets banned from a bar in Alaska in 1973.  Thirty years later, he’s back in Alaska and thinks enough time has passed, but as soon as he walks in the door, the first thing he hears is “Get the hell out, Dennis!”  For whatever reason, that made me laugh out loud and one of the Storm Sisters, Katrina, who was incubating my head at the time, didn’t see the humor when I tried to tell her about it. She snorted in my hair and removed her sizable a*s off my neck and onto the floor.  So now I know how to get them out of my personal space without being mean:  stupid Twitter posts.  Who knew?

One of the coolest dudes EVAR, Coyote Poetry welcomed me back and I was one of the “cool kids” for a minute!  Thanks for that, dude, my husband thinks because I have a sizeable vocabulary, I will understand when he tries to talk to me about real smart s**t like how different kinds of yeast are activated and when to use them or how the generator is rewired to…do…something…I don’t know, I phased out about the third technical term in and just nodded and “Oh-ed” like the good wife I am. 

Genocide:  I have much to say to you and a lot of your work to read to catch up, so when I can quit thinking about poor Dennis gettin’ kicked out of a bar, yeast activation times and generator parts, I will be seriously devoting my complete attention to your work.  The last piece of yours that I read had cohesive content and showed so much improvement �" I was so PROUD of you.  Right now, I’m just typing to get back into the swing of it.  (I had time yesterday to actually do my own acrylic nails and they’re longer than usual, so I’m having to adjust my typing accordingly.)

barleygirl:  your piece on wigs was phenomenal, but of course, the one freak that should be wearing one (The Great Orange One) is not.  But…that comb-over is worse than any ratty, nasty wig those old dudes wore back in the day, so I guess it counts.  I am a little anxious about more women running for office, I must admit.  I’ve said this many times, but after 20 years of bartending, I can attest that there are waaaay more good men out there than there are good women. Not to say that those who actually run for office aren’t qualified, and I did make the statement that men can be clueless (don’t get it twisted, gentlemen, I didn’t say dumb, just unaware).  But like any candidate, I would thoroughly research them before voting �" and not just because they are a woman.  I don’t like “token” people �" everyone should be on a merit based system �" in rank, seniority, pay, etc.  However, I also concede that many “token” people have paved the way for those who followed them �" “because of them, we can” concept.  *sigh*  I would not put any of these words in stone, today, I’m on new meds and have the freedom of “retirement” that I’ve been dreaming of for the last five years, so take anything I say with a grain of salt…or some liquid deactivated yeast…whatever.  Put a 40 pound dog on your head�"it’ll make sense.

I read a short story named The Things We Do, by Hayden. The storyline and plot were vaguely (and disturbingly timely) as it takes place in Germany at the time of Pearl Harbor and a young man’s conscience.  I intend to read more, Hayden, but if you read yesterday’s post, you know I’ve been out for about 6 weeks and have a lot of Read Requests to honor.

Miss Annette, you know I love a fight-back story, so your piece on bullying/writing/cussin’ was my feel good story for the day.  I can tell that my mother would soooo approve of you, your demeanor and your manners, so it’s kinda cool to know that you gots a little bad-girl in there.  I won’t tell her, there’s a shitload of stuff she still don’t know ‘bout me, even though she probably don’t even care at this point. And it’s all stuff before I was 18, she pretty much knows most of my adult stuff, cuz…when I became an adult…I acted like one and have pretty much ‘fessed up most of my major setbacks/lessons.

I have dogs that need to invade my personal space and Mr. B. is hunting for an item that is the size of a small screw, soooo…the good wife that I am, since I didn’t let him “learn me” me ‘bout yeast and generators, I should probably help him.

Hope to get back to Café tonight for some hot reading and cool postings…

Reporting live from Biloxi, MS, this is Miz Carol, signing off.

 

 

 

   

© 2018 Carol Cashes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a charm to read. It sounds like a wonderful day. All the mentioned writers are excellent form, for certain.
You've officially inspired me to do absolutely nothing but this with my two cats for at least one day out of the week.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Carol, welcome, I believe this is the first time that I'v read your work. I enjoyed this posting. You appear sassy, creative and interesting. A fine combination for a good writer. I am happy that you are retired, I have 2 more years to go. I adore Barley girl, she is one of my truest and best friends on this site.Coyote is a great storyteller and poet as well. I look forward to trading work with you. I am easy to get along with.
Peace and Joy,
Richie b.















Posted 5 Years Ago


I am so sorry I missed this back in January! I haven't seen anything from you floating down my newsfeed & being forgetful, I didn't think about you until this morning when you showed up in my newsfeed again. I eagerly clicked & was richly rewarded. I hooted outloud many times, esp during the stretch incited by me, I guess (gotta love a sassy comeback)! This is so much better than standard reviewing. If I could remember what I read more than 30 minutes ago, I would try this! You are a hoot. I hope you're back still, even tho this comeback was a while ago!?!?! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


I think if the daily news casts were delivered in your style MC, there'd be more gravity on this planet. I really enjoy how "reality" is firmly grounded in your writes, none of this millennial virtual reality stuff. Keep the live updates coming.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Thank you so much for the honorable mention Miz Carol! I’m in excellent company here! Love this journal entry. It’s so real and warm and compassionate and original and humorous- just like you. Enjoy being a lady of leisure now my friend- although you still have such a full plate at home. Home & family are everything- also dog butts-ha! Can’t wait until your next entry. Brava!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Well written love your style

Posted 6 Years Ago


:) .............good to know you are alive and kicking Ms.Carol ...
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


f*****g very good story miss carol hey how come you won't inbox me or say t***y f*****g butthole

Posted 6 Years Ago


genocide

6 Years Ago

yeah sorry I made you mad like that my dear

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 12, 2018
Last Updated on January 12, 2018
Tags: nonfiction

Author

Carol Cashes
Carol Cashes

Biloxi, MS



About
I'm very cynical, jaded, just this side of bitter and the only reason I haven't crossed that line is a good man loves me. I am extremely empathetic, but seldom sympathetic. I can be a ferociously lo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens