When I Walk by the Weir

When I Walk by the Weir

A Poem by Chris Shaw

I listen as torrents cascade and crash,
crying out, not in whispers but rage,
my ears deafened to the downstream surge.

Flashbacks to Victorian darkness,
a baby farmer, outwardly respectable,
in receipt of payments to care for newly born

of single working Mothers, of the poor, sick
and disadvantaged souls in society
in exchange for provision of protective love.

Her false promises, eventually laid bare.
A parcel with her address still evident
was fished from the waters by a bargeman.

Grisly contents of a strangled babe surfaced.
She did this to earn a living over decades,
unexposed how many perished this way.

Amelia Dyer took her secrets to her grave,
condemned to hang for her ghastly wickedness,
apparently meeting her end in merciful quickness.

When I walk by the weir, all beauty is lost.
Instead, the icy frost of her presence lingers
while I mourn those murdered mites.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

WOW, I had never heard of Amelia Dyer till I read your poem and then I googled her and found out what a despicable individual she was....baby farming! How could someone trained as a nurse become a serial killer? It is unthinkable. She either sold babies or killed them...horrible! I can imagine how you feel as you walk by the weir. Incredible. Thank you for teaching me something today. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


I love myth and tale. This was wonderful.
"When I walk by the weir, all beauty is lost.
Instead, the icy frost of her presence lingers
while I mourn those murdered mites. "
The above lines. Perfect. Thank you Chris for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Coyote for your kind response. All good wishes to you.

Chris
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Chris and have some fun and be safe.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you :))
This is really tragic and so sad. Beautifully expressed and heartfelt Chris. You did it justice. Such times were cruel and wicked.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dawn. It amazes me it took so long for her to get found out.

Chris
I love babies. I adore them and anything tragic about them sends me into a depression instantly. You have narrated the story in beautiful, elegant verses. The last verse sends shivers down the spine. May hell not spare her.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dhara. Yes, chilling how much damage she inflicted on those poor innocents.

.. read more
Dhara_Ditzy Kat

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Chris :)
Gosh, that is chilling. So tragic.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Ana. Terrible tragedy for those poor innocents. Beyond chilling.

Chris
I have goosebumps ...I am not sure I could look over into the water or even walk the water's way. such an eerie presence even in the memories. Great haunt Chris!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Queenie. Love that new avatar. I don't go there often, there are so many other parts of th.. read more
This a dark and foreboding piece. Now I have to look up the Baby Farmers I am not privy to what that was. Your strength is always in harnessing a tone that fits the subject matter so perfectly. You are as much of a landscape artist as you are a writer. Wonderful stuff here Christine!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

What a wonderful compliment you have just paid me Crowley. Very gratefully received.

.. read more
Eerie.
Ices the spine.
A poem to be recited at Poe revivals and around midnight deep woods campfires.
Compelling!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Jimmy. Yes, spine tingling in its darkness.

Chris
For never having heard of her you certainly made her come to life for me. Your descriptions of the cascading waters, the icy frost to be found in her emphasis the coldness and cruelty of her crimes. I could almost see and hear her insane mutterings as she deposited the poor lifeless bodies into the water.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Yes Dave, she had a record of severe mental health illness, yet she could still look after other peo.. read more
Dave

5 Years Ago

O.M.G.! That many? I wonder why it took anyone so long to catch on to her.
Take care - Dave
I was engrossed in the sounds, textures and rush of water in V1 ... i especially enjoy the mist that kisses those in close proximity of fast moving waters .. but the enchantment soon turned and chilled my blood, Christine ... a horrific story told with strokes of a broad sword .. I had not heard of her .. i think the very earth moans at the murder of the innocent ... best not to forget such brutal and tragic insanity .. best not to give up fighting for life. sobering read for me ... well told ... your closing pierces with icy fingers ..
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

You googled? Yes, no compassion there at all. Pure evil and up to 400 may have perished at this mons.. read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

well ...we are joined in mourning the loss .. in feeling the gaping hole left by those babes ...i cl.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I do feel it and I also hope those mites are at peace. They deserve to be remembered. Her evilness h.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

591 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 30, 2018
Last Updated on September 30, 2018
Tags: evil, darkness, murder, children, death

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Word Blind Word Blind

A Poem by Neville