Wilderness

Wilderness

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Make of it what you will

"
What carries on the wind, it is not clear?
I listen with intent as it draws near.
In silence I anticipate a spark
of understanding in the pre dawn dark?
Yet only whispers find their way to me,
In tongues that do not speak with clarity.
And that's the way it's been for many years,
through all my adult days, my unspun tears.
I wait with patience while you stay away,
I stand alone , I have no will to pray.

© 2018 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A voice crying in the wilderness? This one has the feeling of a dark night of the soul, wherein the speaker yearns for a divine sign, but with no apparent reward. It has been this way always for spiritual seekers, who long for communion with God but who continue to perceive only silence from above. Perhaps, though, embracing that silence rather than resisting it is the answer. A well rhymed piece dealing with a universal problem.

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you John. A universal problem it is without doubt your visit here very much appreciated.
read more



Reviews

As with so much of your writing (at least that which I have thus far seen), the structure and rhymes of this piece read so well. You are truly gifted and skilled to be able to so well convey what this conveys, especially in such a relatively short piece. I have written quite a bit of poetry myself inspired by the pre-dawn. It can be a time so mysterious, so glorious, so tender, and the list goes on beyond words. May you find peace amidst your search, whether or not ever you hear more clarity from these sources.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your considered opinion on this short write. Your thoughts well-received and a.. read more
The never ending quest for understanding, timeless indeed. You have such wonderful phrasing and rhyme, as conveyed through "In silence I anticipate a spark of understanding in the pre dawn dark", and delightful diction "In tongues that do not speak with clarity" and "my unspun tears".

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Lanny for your thoughtful response. Your words very much appreciated. All good wishes.
read more
So many times and in many ways, messages come from many sides claiming they speak the truth and for The Truth. They provide no clear answers or solutions but add to the chorus of confusion in our lives. That is why some of us use the filters built in to sort through this maze. Some are led like sheep without thinking for themselves. Nothing wrong with questioning and asking for answers, otherwise it will be a blind faith with no conviction. An excellent write Chris.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Sami for your excellent response. I am not one to be led blindly, I question everything. I.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All wonderful. You are welcome.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All wonderful. You are welcome.
Drawn firstly, by the title. As always Chris, your rhyming and style is amongst my favourites here. Understanding in reading between the lines. Hope you are okay? (((HUGS))) my friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Richard,. All is well, thank you for asking and also for your lovely response.

read more
This is deep. You are waiting for a purpose or sign to move on. Trying to find faith. I believe you will one day.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Ryan for your thoughtful response. You are most welcome on my page.

Chris
Chris, i think prayer comes in many forms as too does what we loosely call God. Divine signs come, but maybe not in the form you would expect. You are not alone, i am sure of that but who , or what looks after you is not a man sitting in heaven that's for sure... best not to wonder too much and just be at one with the universal oness. Love finds a way, you can't see or touch it but it doesn't mean it isn't surrounding you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Much wisdom in your words Stella. Thank you for your thoughtful response. Gratefully received.
.. read more
Sometimes we cannot hear the whispers, forget who we were. Most of us lost the free-will to wish and dream. Become colder and hard. The poem left the reader something to ponder. Thank you dear Chris for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote for your thoughtful review.

Chris
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome dear Chris.
Isolation can be an overwhelming feeling.
The images are clear simple and easy to watch. While the feeling is sad and lonely. Excellent combo

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Cherrie for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Chris
I am feeling the same way today Chris...writing a piece about it now ...stopped because I felt something calling me back...maybe it was your voice. Thank you for this share...it's meaningful.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear CQ, so pleased you found my lines and that they are meaningful for you. All good wishes
.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

475 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 1, 2018
Last Updated on December 1, 2018

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee