United Front

United Front

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Distant relatives of mine, Millicent Fawcett (nee garrett), Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, Agnes Garrett, leading suffragettes. Makes me mad when women, can't be bothered to cast their vote.

"
In my veins I can't forget
I come from English Suffragettes,
who fought the system, sought to change
the plight of women in our land.

Those pioneers campaigned for you
and suffered much indignity.
Force fed, imprisoned and abused,
I find it strange that women now
would choose to waste a gifted vote.

For history's sake, do you not think,
their bravery and courage too,
still matter in our world today
when sisters overseas still die
if they should try to have their say?

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have to maintain a belief that no sacrifice for a just cause is in vain. As much as mankind may advance, there are always those who want to reverse things and pull us backwards. Of course slavery is wrong. Of course mistreating people who are born different is wrong. Of course women should have the same rights as men, receive equal pay for equal work and so on and so on!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel for your wise words. All good wishes

Chris



Reviews

'You can lead a horse to water,' springs to mind as I read. I have voted all my life, but I know many who have not; such a waste.

Beccy.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

That is an excellent way of expressing the situation Beccy. There are many wasted votes as you say. .. read more
I really like this poem, i love that fact that it talks about distant relatives that we all one way or another think about but, cant really seem to get into constant contact with.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you pretty for your visit. You are most welcome and I am pleased to meet you.

.. read more
Oh boy. Yes. It is damned frustrating isn't it? And what of those who vote for a political party, regardless of their stance on basic women's rights?

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I agree, it is frustrating Lyn. Sometimes you feel that there has been no appreciation for what went.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
You women ain't got time to vote, who's gonna clean the house, cook, raise the children, sew, darn, be the silent hostess to us males' entertaining ..." all you need to do dear is keep the glasses filled and say nothing unless spoken to...okay ? ".................LIGHT THE BLUE TOUCH PAPER AND STAND WELL BACK
Good morning Christine, yep, your foresisters put it all on the line for equality yet many nowadays are ignorant to the fact and neglect their right, duty.
Hope you are well.


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Good morning Gee, you redeemed yourself before I had the chance to blow a gasket lol. Yes, sadly som.. read more
Another great topic for a poem, Chris. I have begun talking to my daughter about the legacy of women's rights and trying to help her understand the importance (significance) of all the rights she has and how things have changed over time.

I think it can be easy to forget how we got to where we are today when things have always been one way for as long as the public can remember. But, we are seeing how things are not necessarily set in stone, and also, as your poem mentions, that not everyone has yet won the basic rights we take for granted.

I feel the same way about education. I remind my children that in the past people risked their lives to learn to read, and it is important to be mindful of the power we have when we are educated and aware. Your poem is a great reminder of not only the sacrifices of the past, but also of the important of diligence and remembrance. Great work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

You raise some really important points Eilis, and I am so appreciative of your thorough review and f.. read more
Here! Here! ‘Time is up’ now for women to suffer as third-class citizens in a misogynistic world. Those heroines, British and their sisters, that came before us and led the way are justly saluted in your amazing poem Chris. Wow, you come from true female fighting blood! Thanks for teaching us about your proud ancestral line- I will definitely research it. Excellently written, passionate and well-presented argument for women to vote and vote wisely. One vote can truly change the world, and we can be that change. Awesome write- Kudos!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dear Annette and Pebbles (can't be ignored, staring out at me) thank you for your warm appreciation .. read more
Annette Pisano-Higley

5 Years Ago

Awww! We both thank you very much dear Chris!:))
Having two daughters and having taught history for years I believe that women have always been and continue to be abused with regard to the abilities and the power they should be able to exert. I look forward to when the U.S. has enough sense to elect a decent woman President. I'm delighted that our present House of Representatives now has over a 100 women in it. Hopefully there will be a significant increase in the number of women in our Senate.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dave for your very positive response and for your great support of women. All good wishes... read more
Dave

5 Years Ago

Honestly - I'm proud to say I always have been and with two wonderful daughters and a fantastic wife.. read more
bring to the front what the Suffragettes done for woman. brilliant. always need reminders such as your poetry.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Duck you always give me such positively charged reviews. Thank you.

Chris
Here in the USA. 12 million less voters in 2016 than 2012. This is why Trump won. Black voters didn't vote. He won Michigan by a few vote. Second Republican to win in 50 years. I agree. Many people worked hard for the opportunity for us to vote. I enjoyed your words and thoughts dear Chris.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

That's what happens when people don't get out and vote. Thank you Coyote.

Chris
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

It is sad. I told people. You didn't vote. Don't complain. You are welcome Chris.
Will we ever understand why? Always someone something to throw balance off- life is cruel at best of time- well written- caring compassionate🌹

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Kelly. Hope all is good with you lovely lady.

Chris
‘Thoughts In Time’🌹

5 Years Ago

All good - one day at a time🌹

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 10, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Twelve Shoes Twelve Shoes

A Poem by Gee