Air Display

Air Display

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(Brixham at night, is my delight. I just sit at the window and stare)

"
Before the heartbeat of new dawn
creeps through the coverlet of night,
white winged commotion breaks the dark
with Brixham gulls in shrieking flight.
From Sea Tang's third floor bird's eye view,
they dive bomb, swoop and loop de loop.
And yet dreams on old Golden Hind
within her harbour's high tide bed
where empty, silent streets look on
lit bright by amber lamps of light.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i picture the whole town in a deep sleep...and the speaker alone...looking out her window seeing the display...and thinking how lucky she is to be up and enjoying the peace and dive bombing...much like Zeros dive bombing...only these are playful and beautiful.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob. You saw it how it was. I'm often awake at night on holiday while everyone else slee.. read more



Reviews

Well written, Chris. The image is crisp and clear. There is a peace to be found during the night I think. I have always enjoyed seeing that dim band of the false dawn signalling the coming day.
We rent house on the Outer Banks of North Carolina quite frequently and when you take the ferry between islands the gulls follow behind and will take bread from your palm while gliding along as gentle as you please.
Thanks for the reminder.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Ted for your review and for sharing your holiday venue. It sounds wonderful. All good wi.. read more
Chris,
Great images in this poem. The opening line is splendid! A dreamy, meditative observation of life at night.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Tom for your kind response. I always appreciate your visits.

Chris
Wonderful use of description. I wanted to see what you saw. Life, we see. A wonder and few can see. Thank you Chris for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

There is so much to see and so many who just don't get it. People do not use their eyes. They can't .. read more
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I live in Michigan. Touches four great lakes and rivers everywhere. Took war for me to learn. I live.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Maybe people need to experience misery before they can truly appreciate paradise.
Dear John Smith aka Dave thank you very much for your response. Somehow on my phone I pressed the wrong button and foolishly deleted your response. Fortunately I had read it before and appreciated you enjoying this write. Need to get my eyes tested :)

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Well picturized & nicely stuffed.

From Sea Tang's third floor bird's eye view,
they dive bomb, swoop and loop de loop.

These two lines really had my attention. Reminds me of shakesparian touche. Looking forward to reading your work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thank yous Adams. I appreciate your visit and your review.

Chris
Sounds Like a memory of a place close to the heart. Takes my thoughts there. I like the flow of this poem too!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks free will for your visit. All good wishes.

Chris
The Sea Tang Guest house ..wow wow and wowsy wow!!! what a place to go and spend a few days ..ohh another dream to sleep on says i! had to look it up Chris ..thank you for something new a day to learn ... well done "Air Display" ... tightly packed, 10 lines ... i hear them, see them and can smell the salt air ... and swash buckling brigands ..ghost ship to boot ... while my Da was a working man he was always uptight ..wound up by his position at work ..and trying to pay bills and get a little ahead..like all middle class ... but when he retired ... he and me Ma sold their home and moved in with Gram ... she had a stoke and could not care for herself ... the town had 300 residents ... very midwestern .. my Da started a wood working hobby and loved to sit in a lawn swing he made, drink a beer and watch the Martins swoop and loop ... tho your poem is a Brixham dawning ... the setting and scene inspire me own memories as well ... nice work ma'am and thanks for sharing "Air Display" ..i think it has all "just the right" touches :)
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you Mr E for sharing where my poem took you. What lovely memories were evoked of your own fami.. read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

i'm jealous now ma'am! ;) just the pictures i found lifted me ol' bag o' bones heart :)))))))))
Ah the master of scene setting has struck again. Thanks for the imagery and letting me "see" what shall remain unseen.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Roger. Your praise most appreciated as is your visit.

Chris

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

356 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 7, 2019
Last Updated on March 7, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


One One

A Poem by John the Baptist