Capsized At Sea

Capsized At Sea

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

one from the archives, but still remains topical

"
Down to the crested waves below
red petals drop from craggy rocks.
A fleet which sweeps its way to reach
where hopes and dreams of refugees
are capsized in a foreign sea.
I pay respects, reflect on them,
for all the souls whose lives were lost
and done so mindful of the cost,
of fleeing wars and tyranny.
I cast my heartfelt sympathy.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

Indeed still topical Chris and beautifully written in a melody of sadness with such vivid pictures created as the tributes are set afloat in memory of lost souls.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you John for your thoughtful words. Good morning.

Chris
Bob Dylan wrote, "I pity the poor refugee . . . " After the fall of South Vietnam in '75 many "boat people" died when their vessels capsized in the ocean in an attempt to flee the Communists. Our nation now has a healthy population of Vietnamese. Many people from central America and Mexico are currently fleeing from the violence and corruption of their homeland, wanting a safe life in the US. The sad thing is . . . the refugee has become a political pawn on both sides of the isle. I'm sure the UK is seeing many refugees wanting to come to your shores. The history of the world has been the story of the refugee . . . because the history of the world has always been the seeking of power at any cost. There are times when growing so weary of the political wars that go on in my country, I feel like a refugee . . . but who will take me in?
T.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I was so interested to read what you have said here Tom and the question you posed at the end of you.. read more
Well done, Chris. Yes it's a terrible thing to attempt to flee a tyrannous government and war only to drown at the hands of unscrupulous men who demand what little money you have while you're trying to get to safety.
All the millions donated to poor countries to help the poor, seem to get diverted to the pockets of the leaders. We fell good for helping...the leaders feel good for getting rich...and the poor feel hungry and desperate.
Sad.

A good write.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Have to agree Ted. All that foreign aid and hardly any of it goes to the people we think we are help.. read more
I was passing by and looked in for you Chris...Your words are so gentle and sad...They have a world of grief in them...

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Hello Ditzy, good to see you. Thank you for considering these words of mine and the empathy I feel f.. read more
Dhara_Ditzy Kat

4 Years Ago

Life and work keep me away mostly nowadays but you and your beautiful pen are always thought of. Se.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you kitty. How sweet you are.
This is such a heartfelt tribute to those people fleeing their lands for genuine reasons, human crises and depravity of their governments. Usually, the world looks with little sympathy to them with little understanding of their cause and they are treated as a nuisance. The saddest is when little children die. Your words fall softly and tenderly as the petals on their watery graves....

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you DIVYA. Sadly they are treated as a nuisance in many cases. It's not their fault, it's dow.. read more
DIVYA

4 Years Ago

You are most welcome, dear Chris.
and those who flee for good reason, looking for shelter, for freedom for love and finding violent seas will not allow them to reach that destiny...
so sad indeed...and this is a beautifully written tribute.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Jacob. The loss of life is tragic.

Chris
Once again, you tug on my old Navy man heart. I made it home, but many did not. Thank you for these respectful, beautiful words.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Sam. Yes, the ocean has taken the lives of many and for a multitude of reasons. If this li.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2019
Last Updated on May 18, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..