Sharps In May

Sharps In May

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

(folklore and all that)

"
In May watch hedgerows come alive
as hawthorn waves, enticing white,
a welcome sight in lonely lanes.
Yet should you venture close to touch,
be warned of thorns whose sharps attack.
Once blood is drawn, you'll soon turn back.
No pleasing fragrance greets your nose
as musky, pungence lingers there,
decay and plague in warm spring air.
And dare you use the blooms in rooms
beware your fate our folklore states
as pestilence brings doom and gloom.
Since ancient times, hedgerows defined
the boundaries of owners fields.
When twentieth century brought neglect,
and hedgerows suffered sad decline,
new laws were sought and now prevail
to keep our country ways in check.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A whimsical and sweet reflection on nature and the hedge with some history thrown in. A lovely flowing structured piece. I often had to waffle amongs the Hawthorn to get to sloe [blackthorn] bushes. The cuts were worth the effort when the sloe gin was ready!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Ah sloe gin, those sharps would have been a small price to pay. Thank you John, for yet another thou.. read more
John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Aye being up at 05:00, mornings are long here in the semi countryside lol!



Reviews

Thank you so much Jimmy. Appreciating your support.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


Things I, previously, did not know existed have become things I now know I knew nothing about.
Admittedly, a tiny progression.
Hedgerows were once natural fencing; word kinda hints at it.
Much appreciate your "country ways," Chris.
Your versifying ways ain't bad, either.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

3 Years Ago

Thank you Jimmy. Yes hedgerows are natural fencing. All sorts of wildlife can be found in them. Appr.. read more
I enjoyed the poem. I researched hedgerows. They are beautiful. Would be nice if we would use. Thank you dear Chris for sharing your amazing words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

They certainly are beautiful Coyote. Pleased you researched them out. Many tha ks for your visit.read more
Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

They were wonderful. Some places in the USA. Use them also.
. . . reminded me of: Stairway to Heaven. inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien. aka - "beware your fate our folklore states as pestilence brings doom and gloom."Title is very appropriate. ..................................I ;love hedgerows - always have "hedgerows defined the boundaries of owners fields."and now "hedgerows have suffered a sad decline,"

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thanks Amberlight for your appreciated visit. Not familiar with the works of Tolkien though. Al.. read more
Amberlight

4 Years Ago

J.R.R. Tolkien Write The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings?
As I read this poem, I recalled World War II battles and the dreaded hedgerows, often smartly used by The Germans. We don’t see many here in the U.S., but the lessons apply. Much the same for those pretty roses that grow along the fence. It’s not just the pickets that stick you. One of my favorites, Chris.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Many thank yous for your visit and I'm happy that you consider this one a favourite R E Ray.
Look, admire ... but don't touch !
What a wonderful shrub nature made to keep field boundaries safe, keep animals in and trespassers out.
They look lovely too, a bit like the rose , its beauty comes with thorns.

Many of our fields have ancient stone walls , they too are beautiful in their own way ...



Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thanks Stella. I'm a huge fan of hedgerows and come to think of it ancient stone walls too.
<.. read more
Stella Armour

4 Years Ago

we build castles and fortresses but mother nature has her own ways :)
Wonderful poem; lovely flow and rhythm and it follows the legend of the Hawthorn perfectly.

As for 'new laws,' all the red tape in the world is nowhere near as effective as a sturdy Hawthorn hedge. :))

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thanks Beccy. I'm a great fan of the good old hawthorn hedge :) Thank you for your lovely review. Wh.. read more
This is a cool take on the hedgerow, Chris. Taking it from the historic to the current moment. I don't know a lot about what you talk about at the end, but your poem makes me curious. Are there ordinances involving hedgerows there?

I was listening to a radio program from Ireland not long ago where they were discussing the loss of the hedgerows and how that was negatively impacting the environment. It's not a term that is used very much where I am, so it's not something I have a great understanding about. But I like to learn, and learn about places outside of my sphere.

We have a lot of wild spaces, but often they are spaces that have been plowed and then grown back in kudzu and blackberries, so there's not a lot of diversity. I would like to see an untouched landscape like what I imagine from reading the beginning of the poem.The start of the poem is lovely in its evocation of the beauty.

Anyway, I enjoyed your poem. The folklore aspects are always fascinating to me, and the way you wrapped it up by coming around to the current reality of controlling nature left me feeling unsettled. Great work.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Dear Eilis, thank you for considering and commenting on this poem. Hedgerows were ripped from farm l.. read more
Makes me think of how even the most beautiful things can hurt you as well. Especially beautiful people.
Of course I also think of the wonderful smells that come with spring.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Thank you Dale. We must be on the same wavelength. I have just reviewed one of yours :) I appreciate.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 22, 2019
Last Updated on May 22, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..