A Simple Wish

A Simple Wish

A Story by Ashley
"

This story is about a couple who love each other. After running through a field they find a surprise that could change there lives forever.

"

   “Hey Sally come here,” shouted Anthony in a fascinated voice, looking around to make sure no one else was in sight. He watched for Sally, who came running around from over the snow covered hill dodging the decorated pine trees in her way to get to Anthony.


   “What is it?” She exclaimed in excitement, brushing her golden hair out of her face, revealing her brilliant smile.


   “Check this out!” Squealed Anthony, as he jumped up and down, his mouth was wide open, and his glasses were falling off his bright red face, as if he had just found buried treasure.


    “Wow, you look happy,” Sally acknowledged, while glazing at what Anthony had clenched in his right hand. “It's a bottle?” She questioned, raising her eyebrows to get a better look at the odd red, and silver striped container that sparkled in the cold sunlight. The neck of the bottle had a green bow around it and a piece of parchment hung from it. It was closed tightly by a brown cork, and had words written in Latin around the bottom.


    “No! It's not just any bottle,” Anthony said in a perky voice. “Look! Read the poem that's attached to it,” he said lightly, while he pushed his black glasses back into place, and untied the green ribbon to give Sally the paper.


   Sally began to read the piece of parchment that Anthony gave to her. Her blue eyes twinkled, and her voice echoed through the snow covered pine trees. The words vanished as she read them, indicating what piece of the poetry had already been read allowed.


   While she read, the bottle in Anthony's hand began to shake mysteriously as if someone was trying to escape the small bottle. The bottle fell to the ground, it shook fearfully around creating a blast of snow that covered them. Out of fear of the bottle exploding into pieces, Sally and Anthony shrank back trying to avoid the explosion, but they were unable to see.


   “Anthony, whats going on?” Called Sally, while trying to find her way out of the sparking snow that covered them.


   “I'm not sure,” hollered Anthony grabbing Sally's hand to drag her out of the memorizing whirl wind.


   Just then the snow cleared, and instead of the red and silver bottle lying on the ground, a three inch fairy with blue hair and a yellow dress stood in its spot. Her face was pale, and her big green eyes stared at them while she smiled. Sally, and Anthony stood speechless; they couldn't believe what they were staring at. As the fairy began to speak, they were stunned; they had no idea what to think of the tiny creature that stood before them.


   “I am Sarah, an ancient Christmas genie. Whoever reads my enchantment aloud shall be granted one Christmas wish,” she told the two standing before her. “Which one of you found my bottle?” The little fairy almost sang as she spoke. Anthony and Sally looked at each other, not knowing what to tell her. Anthony held up the bottle that flew back into his hands when the fairy appeared, while Sally held out the now blank piece of parchment. Sarah looked at them with a slight smirk and said, “Well, I guess it will be up to you who gets the wish,” she announced with a twinkle in her eye. “I personally like the one who reads my poem better. But it's your choice. Call for me when you've decided.” With that she spun on her toes and vanished in a swirl of sparkling snow back into her precious bottle.


   “You found the bottle,” Sally said. “Besides, it can be my Christmas gift to you,” Sally crooned to him. He blushed slightly and nodded.


   “I haven't gotten anything for her yet...” Anthony thought. “I could use this wish to get her something great!” He looked up to the sky while placing the bottle on the ground, and called out, “Sarah! We've decided!” A gust of wind and blinding white snow burst across the field. As it settled once again, the little fairy sat on small branch laying on the ground.


   “So who will it be?” Sarah sang.


   “Me.” Anthony stepped up and knelt down by the tiny woman. “I want to get Sally a gift,” he said in a hushed voice. “A necklace. Something as beautiful as she is... It can change colors... And lengths.”


   Sarah smiled and nodded. She whispered some strange words, and an amazing necklace appeared besides her. Anthony picked it up and held it out for Sally, who looked surprised, she smiled, and took it. She put the chain around her fragile neck, and the necklace slowly began to shrink, getting smaller and smaller around it. Sally gasped and looked up to Anthony.


   “What's it doing?! Why is it getting so small?! Make it stop! Get it off, it's going to kill me!” She panicked. “Anthony, help! I can't take it off!” she yelped, while trying to get a breath.


   Anthony rounded on Sarah.


   “What did you do, you little weasel!?” He roared. The fairy giggled.


   “A test of heart is to be played, true love's triumph, or soul to be slain. Find the magic words or her breath will stop.” Sarah was actually singing now. “Here's a little hint. Look deep down in your own heart.” A swirl of snow surrounded her once more and she was gone.


    “What, did she mean?” Thought Anthony to himself. “A test of heart is to be played?...True love's triumph?...A soul to be slain?...What does it all mean?” Anthony thought this to himself over and over again, then realized Sally was no longer standing, but was lying on the ground with tears in her eyes.


   “Oh my god!” He shouted, in a panicked voice. “What does it mean? Think harder Anthony...Think!”


   Anthony hollered. “I'm looking deep down in my heart! I'm just so confused,” he thought.


   Then out of pure rage, Paul dropped by Sally's side, and began to yank at the back of the silver necklace. “Set her free!” He exclaimed, in pure horror, still yanking at the chain. He finally fell to the ground, lying next to Sally who was now passed out; tears were streaming down his face.


   “Don't die! I love you!” Anthony shouted loud enough to make the surrounding trees shake. He leaned over and kissed Sally's lips, and whispered in her ear. “I'm so sorry...I never wished for this...I love you!” He said in a shaky voice.


   Seconds later the necklace around Sally's neck came off and fell to the ground. Sally opened her eyes, and stared blankly at Anthony. Sally! You're alive!” Anthony announced, hopping to his feet to help the fallen girl up. “That's what the fairy must have been talking about,” thought Anthony. “True love!” He expressed with another kiss.


   Anthony grabbed Sally's hand and walked her out of the field. Anthony took one last look around, and the bottle was no where in site. “Good-bye Sarah thanks for showing us that gifts mean nothing when you have the one you truly love by your side!” Exclaimed Anthony with his final breath before turning the corner.

 

© 2010 Ashley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on November 2, 2009
Last Updated on May 28, 2010
Tags: wish necklace fairy bottle Chris

Author

Ashley
Ashley

claymont, DE



About
Ive been writing for about 6 years now, and I mostly write short stories, poems, and song lyrics. Most of my writing is based on death, and sorrow. I've been pondering about starting to write horror s.. more..

Writing
Inner most fear Inner most fear

A Story by Ashley


As I Pass By As I Pass By

A Poem by Ashley