Snowglobe

Snowglobe

A Story by Ashley
"

A magical wish on a snow globe changes a girls life forever.

"

    Winter cleaning had finally arrived. Mary was rummaging through the many boxes that were stacked in her closet, and tossing them into the hallway. That's when the snow globe caught Mary's attention. The object was buried underneath a bunch of old Christmas ordainment's; in the ratty box she had just picked up. She wondered why the antique was stuffed in a box, and not out in the public’s eye. With that thought she placed the snow globe on her windowsill, and continued with her cleaning.

 After about an hour she was finally finished clearing out her closet. She walked over to her windowsill, and gazed at the snow globe. She picked up the trinket with her polished hand, turned it upside down, then back again. Mary watched the mesmerizing snowflakes as they sparkled, and twirled around to meet the two kissing elves at the bottom.

 Mary then placed the snow globe back on her windowsill. She then tapped it three times; pretending it was a magical lamp; wished for it to snow just as it did inside the snow globe, then headed out her bedroom door just as her mother was calling her for dinner.

 The room was now silent. Till all of a sudden, a gentle melody filled the dead air. It seemed to be coming from the snow globe as though someone had winded it up to create the harmony. Meanwhile, inside the snow globe, the kissing elves had taken life. They moved away from each other, and began dancing solo around the glimmering trinket. They danced in sync with the lovely song, and their green and red scarfs blew in the nonexistent wind. They seemed happier than ever, then the tune died out, and they migrated back to their original spots.

 Several seconds later, Mary reentered her bedroom with a sandwich in her hand. She grabbed the television remote off her dresser with her free hand when she passed to sit on her bed. She clicked on the television; flipped through the channels; stumbling a pond the news network. Mary listened intently to the newscaster as he reviewed the weather. Then he spoke up about Friday, also known as Christmas.

“Christmas is only two days away folks,” exclaimed the newscaster. “There seems to be nothing but rain in your forecast,” he announced, in a disappointed tone. “The chances of this changing is about one percent,” he said. “We would need a miracle to have a white Christmas,” he said in a sadder tone.

With that note Mary turned off the television and rolled over into her many pillows. “Another Christmas with rain,” she murmured into her pillows. Her eyes filled with tears. “What I wouldn't do for just one white Christmas,” Mary yelped, falling asleep just as these words left her month.

A loud bang interrupted Mary’s wondrous sleep. She rolled over in her bed to gaze at her alarm clock. Two a.m. was flashing on the clock. Mary rubbed her eyes; sat up and quickly looked around. Maybe I was just dreaming the noise she thought to herself. A thud sounded once more catching Mary off guard; her initial thought was someone had broken in. She reached over to her dresser and threw the nearest item she could reach. Next thing she knew her alarm clock was flying through the air, a small yelp sounded.

Frightened, Mary glared at her window; just then two figures erupted from the darkness; the sound of glass broke as they walked. As they moved forward one of the figures spoke.

“Don't be afraid,” a tiny girlish voice spoke. “We’re here to help you with your wish,” the voice yelped out once more.

“Afraid! My Wish!” Mary bellowed at the small figures that had to of been no taller than four feet.

 “Let me explain,” a manlier voice rang in. “You made a wish, and we are here to grant it, but when and how we are going to grant it is a mystery,” he went on to say. As those words left the tiny man's month, the shadows vanished completely, and Mary was left alone in total darkness.

 “I must be dreaming,” she thought to herself, rolling over once more, and falling back into a deep steady sleep.

Morning came quickly, the sunlight reflected brightly through Mary’s window's, waking her up. She looked over to her alarm clock, but it wasn't in sight. She arose from her bed and walked to the front of her bed; the alarm clock was lying on the floor in pieces. Mary picked up the pieces and placed them on her dresser, and grabbed for her brush. She glared at herself in the mirror, questioning whether or not it was coincidence; she then shook her head, put her hair brush down, and left her bedroom.

Walking down the steps she noticed a tray of fresh baked cookies at the end of the staircase and snagged one as she passed. The fresh scent of brownies filled the air; she knew her mother was ready for Santa since she was humming sweet noises as she swayed around the kitchen. The Christmas tree was bare and she knew her mother would be asking her if she had found the ordainments yet.

With that thought Mary ran upstairs to grab the old box she had found, and the precious snow globe that was sitting on her windowsill. Seconds later, she was back downstairs, her arms filled with the box of old heirlooms; including the snow globe; that had been passed down from her grandparents.

Walking out of the kitchen, Mary’s mother saw the box in her daughter’s hands and had a satisfied look a pond her face. That's when the snow globe caught her eyes. She then immediately grabbed for the snow globe, and examined it as though she had never seen anything like it before. “Where did you find this?” She questioned Mary in a harsh tone; one that Mary hadn't heard since her parents’ divorce.

“It was in the box with the ordainments,” Mary replied, in a voice she thought wouldn't make her mother any angrier.

 "I thought I got rid of this thing a long time ago,” her mother said to herself, pacing around the living room.

Mary was confused and even more frightened then she had been in the dream she had had the previous night. If it was a dream at all, she thought.

Her mother was now glazing to the ceiling in disbelief. “Please tell me you didn't make a wish while this thing was out,” her mother spoke to her as if she was a child.

“Well I may of said one thing,” Mary said, hoping she wasn't about to cause trouble in the household.

“Mary this is very important! What did you say?” She questioned, holding her hands to her hips.

Mary felt like she was at a police station being questioned for a horrible crime she had committed without knowing she had done it.

“I...Well I said,” she was too terrified to answer her mother’s question; she didn't want to know what would happen next if her mother knew. Would it even matter if she told her at all, would the consequence still be the same either way. Before the words could escape her lips the unthinkable happened; something so astonishing; that Mary and her mother froze to look at the site.

The snow globe in her mother’s hands had fallen to the floor, the shattering of the glass echoed throughout the tiny house. Just after this happen, two tiny elves appeared from where the snow globe had landed, and snow began to gently fall from the ceiling. A soft tune erupted from out of nowhere, and the shattered pieces of the snow globe had vanished.

The elves danced around them as though they didn't notice their existence. The snow got thicker and thicker with each note that was played; it was as though they were now engulfed in a giant blizzard in their own home.

After several minutes the elves began to sing. “This is what you wish, so now you will live forever with it,” they sang happily in unison. They went on to sing, “Inside the snow globe you will stay, for this is your Christmas wish of white.”

Mary fell to the ground; snow flew above her as she wiped the tears from her eyes. See looked at her mother, but her face was expressionless and she shook her head in dismay.

Just then a figure strolled out of the kitchen. Mary noticed the figure standing there; it was shaking its head as the elves continued with their jolly little song. She was unable to see the persons face due to her now puffy red eyes.

“Mary! Morgan!” The familiar sounding voice yelled to them.

“Mom!” She heard her mother scream happily.

Mary rose to her, and rubbed her eyes once more. The figures face came more into focus and that's when she realized it was her grandmother standing in the doorway of the kitchen.

“Grandma!” Mary yelled so loudly she interrupted the elves magical tune. She ran over to her grandmother and gave her the biggest hug she had ever given to anyone. “I thought you and grandpa went on vacation, and just left us,” Mary said, tears still streaming down her fragile face.

“Oh, No,” her grandmother shouted. “I simply made a wish, and well this is where we ended up,” her grandmother said once more.

“What was your wish?” Mary asked, still hugging her grandmother for dear life.

“I wished that your grandfather and I could have a nice vacation away for a while,” she said lightly. “I also wished that no matter what happens to your mother, and I would always be together,” she said, kissing her daughter on the forehead. “Which is why every time she threw that snow globe away it would always reappear back inside that ratty old box, I found it in ten years ago,” her grandmother went on to explained.

Mary smiled, and knew it was a miracle. What were the chances of her finding this snow globe in her closet, making a similar wish to her grandmothers, and finding herself stuck inside a magical snow globe with her family? This would be a Christmas she would always remember, the first day of the rest of her life eternity inside the snow globe. She thought of the adventures she would face, the family she gained, a new life she had to explore.

Her thoughts were interrupted by her grandfather sticking his head out the kitchen door. “Hey, everyone dinners ready, time to eat,” he yelled to them happily.

Without a second thought Mary, her mother, and grandmother entered the kitchen, ready for their next adventure in the snow globe.

© 2012 Ashley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
Added on December 22, 2009
Last Updated on January 30, 2012
Tags: snowglobe wishing family adventu

Author

Ashley
Ashley

claymont, DE



About
Ive been writing for about 6 years now, and I mostly write short stories, poems, and song lyrics. Most of my writing is based on death, and sorrow. I've been pondering about starting to write horror s.. more..

Writing
Inner most fear Inner most fear

A Story by Ashley


As I Pass By As I Pass By

A Poem by Ashley