A bruise is better than a blade

A bruise is better than a blade

A Chapter by Toasty (Erin)

I wake up and I’m lying on a beat up cot with an ice pack on my cheek, all I remember is Kat’s fist coming towards me then impact and blackness. Oh s**t, Kat is probably in massive trouble, that b***h probably made up a story. I sit up and slightly panic, it’s all my fault. I feel pain in my head.

I try to open my left eyes but I barely do, Kat punched me in the eye.

“Oh you’re ok Mr. Collins, that’s wonderful.” The plump red head nurse says.

“Yea I am, still some pain.” I reply.

“That girl gave you a bruise.” She says a nod of disapproval.

“How much trouble is she in?” I groan.
“A lot, first for assaulting a girl then attacking you.” The nurse replies with a sigh.

She knows the reports, she reads the messages on the screen, she believes them.

“She didn’t assault that girl, she got in her face and I was trying to stop Kat from attacking that girl.” I defend with another groan.

“That’s all in your head.” The nurse says with pity in her voice.

I look at her with my one good eye and ice pack over the other “I was there.”

“Sure sweetheart sure.” She sighs giving up.

“Can I leave now?” I ask.

“Are you dizzy?”

“No.”

“Are you seeing black spots in you line of vision.”

“No.”

“Then you’re ok.” She smiles.

I roll my one good eyes and get up. I’m a little dizzy at first but I grab my books quickly and head off to the principle’s office before Kat gets expelled, for something I did.

I knock on the door rapidly until he opens the door.

A tall, balding man with a dark complexion and large nose looks down at me.
“How may I help you Mr. Collins?” He asks.

He is Mr. Young, the principle.

“It’s Kat Sheppard here?” I ask with concern.

“Yes she is, why do you need her?” He asks with his deep booming voice.

“You need to hear my side of the story before you expel her.” I state.
“Fine then, every side is important.”

F*****g Bull.

I enter the small office with tan walls and white painted wood, shelves and desk. I see Kat sitting there in a scratchy looking chair with her head down and her fingers trembling. This is my fault.

“What is your side of the story then.” Mr. Young asks sitting in his chair.

“I walked up to Kat and made a small compliment, I then walked away to get to class and this girl started to get in Kat’s face making accusations about me. She then slapped Kat’s face, I got involved and she accidentally punched me before she could see it was me in the middle not that other girl.” I explain holding the back of the chair Kat is sitting on.

“I see. Is this true Ms. Sheppard?” He asks with some acid in his voice.

She nods not looking up.

What they teach in B.E.F.A not to show fear but to handle the fear head on.

“Well Mr. Collins has never lied to us before, we will take this story into account. You are both free.” He concludes.

She breathes out a loud sigh and slowly gets up. I wrap an arm around her shoulders but when I hear Mr. Young coughing, I know that sign. I’m not supposed to treat B.E.F.A members of any kind like this.

My uncle will probably match me up with some rich girl and I have to act happy and not be happy.

We exit the office but I’m still holding her wrist, a small sign of comfort.

“Thank you.” She sniffles.

“It’s only right to do that.” I lie.

I did it because I think you’re a tiny bit cute and the colour of your eyes is the reason why I dyed my hair. Also I really want to be part of B.E.F.A.

“You bent the truth didn’t you?” She asks as we walk into the dead hall.

“Yea, only to protect both of our asses even more.” I shrug trying to play it cool “What class do you have?” I add.

“I got lunch.” She replies.

“Was I out that long?” I ask looking downwards at her.

“Yea, out all morning, everyone thought that I killed you.” She says lamely.

“B.E.F.A would have a party if I died.” I whisper looking away from her.

“No, we wouldn’t, trust me. Maybe a cake in B.E.F.A colours but not actually party.” She says bumping my shoulder.

We continue walking down the long narrow hall and down a flight of polished stairs.

“Sometimes I wonder what this place used to look like before the war.” She sighs.

“You would like to know what happened as well.” I smirk.

“Yea, learn from the past so we don’t redo it in the future, just like my brother says.” She replies looking up at the beige chipped ceiling.

As you went to the basement you could see the remains of the past, not everything in the building was brand new.

“Your brother.” I repeat.

“Yea got a problem with him?” She defends.

“No, not at all.” I reply wiping my hands on my pants.

“Good, I think you should go in first. I protect your reputation and show that bruise a little more just to show that B.E.F.A aren’t weak.” She smiles wickedly. “Also I think you should get those pants fixed, you also most look like me.”

A quick emotion change can do someone good.

She purses her lips and I enter the lunch room I look behind me one more time and she’s gone.

I swear one day I’ll talk to her, one day.



© 2012 Toasty (Erin)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on December 24, 2011
Last Updated on March 20, 2012
Tags: Book, Fight, Rebel


Author

Toasty (Erin)
Toasty (Erin)

Canada



About
I am a young writer who spends too much tim with books and notebooks. I love to read and write, I can write a short story in uncer a day and I can finish off a book in under 24 hours if I stayed up lo.. more..

Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by Toasty (Erin)


Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Toasty (Erin)