Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Niko Timmy

October 31st (Halloween) 2012

Thunder boomed off in the distance and dark clouds began to set in as the Maybell family got comfortable in the living room of Grandma Lynn and Grandpa Tom's house. In the middle of Michigan, in October, it's quite often that rain is pouring down. But such an eerie storm that was brewing that night was rare.

It was the night of Halloween, and the whole family had gotten together after Trick-or-Treating.

"Grandma, do you know any scary stories?" Grandchild Samantha asked. The short, petite 13-year-old girl hadn't looked up from her candy-sorting. Grandma Lynn chuckled at her question, remembering the stories she told her daughter when she was Samantha's age.

"Mom told me that you used to tell the best scary stories." 15-year-old Brett stated. "Do you remember any?"

Lynn and Tom's daughter, Maria, spoke up, "I don't think grandma remembers much of her stories anymore. It's been so long since she's told them." 

Lynn paused for a moment, knowing of one story she never shared. She was too scared of what her family would think. "There is one . . . that I never told you. But - no, no, it's a little too scary." Lynn said as she waved a hand to dismiss the subject.

"Aw, please, Grandma? I want to hear a scary story." Samantha pleaded. Brett nodded in agreement with his sister. 

"What is it about?" Maria asked. She sat next to her husband who only listened intentely. Earlier, he had been talking to Grandpa Tom about the new car he had bought. But they discontinued their conversation once Lynn began talking of scary stories.

Lynn had the entire family's attention. But could she tell such a story about such horrifying events? Could she possibly share that with her family? Were the grandchildren too young? Would Maria want Lynn sharing such stories with her children? 

Going back through the positives and negatives of telling the story, Lynn couldn't ignore the desire to tell her family the haunting yet interesting tale of the Red-Masked Murderer. "I'm not sure . . ."

"Have I ever heard this story?" Maria asked cautiously, probably wondering if it was a safe topic for her children.

"No, it happened before you were born." Lynn explained. "Forty years ago, when I was nearly Brett's age. One of the most shocking events Rochester has ever seen."

"What happened?" Samantha asked.

"Well, there was a girl, in my school, who woke up in the middle of the night and commited crimes. They called her the Red-Masked Murderer, because she always wore a bright red mask to hide her identity."

Brett looked up, "What kind of crimes? Murder?"

"Oh, yes. Many were killed by the hands of the Red-Masked Murderer." 

Brett's face showed amusement and interest, as if his grandmother were telling a silly myth that had never really happened. "And it happened here?"

Grandma Lynn nodded.

"Well," Brett paused, then looked at Lynn as if expecting something. "Go on!" 

With the full attention of her entire family, Lynn sighed in defeat. 

"There was this girl named Christine. When she was fifteen years old, she was taken over by something that controlled her while she slept . . . "

And with that, Grandma Lynn went into telling the story of the Red-Masked Murderer to her family.



© 2012 Niko Timmy


Author's Note

Niko Timmy
Could still use some editing. I've tried making it longer but I can't think of anything else to add. I'm not very confident in this opening to the book, so please give your honest opinion.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Can't wait for Chapter One! This entry had a great dark setting and I'm intrigued as to the story of the Red-Masked Murderer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


You've got my full atttention. I loved it, short and sweet or should i say, short and scary? I can't wait to read more.. still awaiting Colors of Darkness. :) It's a great start so far, the characters seem interesting and i'm looking forward to development and how they progress.

P.S. Where did you get that book title from? My Silhouette Place chapter perhaps?


Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2012
Last Updated on September 27, 2012
Tags: family, Halloween, scary stories, grandchildren


Author

Niko Timmy
Niko Timmy

A Place Called Awesome



About
Hello, I'm Niko Timmy, I'm a girl, and I love to write. Writing is probably my most consistent hobby and one that I want to take up a career in. I also love to draw, sing, play softball, and read. I d.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Niko Timmy


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Niko Timmy