Long Live

Long Live

A Story by C.F. Boehlke
"

Written for the regular flash fiction contest held at www.terribleminds.com. We were asked to set our music libraries to shuffle and title the piece with the name of the song. "Long Live," by T. Swift

"

She was a quiet girl, a people watcher and a fervent proponent of introspection, trapped in an extrovert's body. She was caught in between wanting to be left alone and wanting to shine like the center of the known Universe. What was worse was that she was capable of being both. She had paid her dues;  she had been the work horse. She had risen like a shooting star and the time to exceed expectations was upon her. She was on her way out and she was poised to make her mark. She was positioned to leave a legacy.


Or so she had been told.

              

Inside, she was in turmoil. She was reevaluating things. She was reexamining the meaning of success. She hardly fancied herself something special or unique. Rather, she struggled to understand when and how her constellation had made it onto the map. Her humble beginnings of burlap had been woven into gold and it was expected to fetch a high price. Oh, the plans that many had for her!

               

The arduous journey was promised to lead to greatness, but instead it would  serve as the doorway to unindentured servitude. It would lead to the gradual decay of any desire within her to create something of her own, regardless of its profitability or location on the map of her "five year plan."

              

As she would lie awake in bed, futilely attempting to assemble the landscape of her future from shape shifting scraps of "maybe's" and "I hope's," she would think of the people in her life. She knew she could count on the heavy hitters, namely her family, to survive another day as ubiquitous change continued to stroke its brush across her canvas. But what of the others? she would wonder. What of the friends, the colleagues, the role models, and the acquaintances? Would they truly come and go, as many wiser than she had written? Or would time prove history wrong, surprising the world with this band of thieves' loyalty and honor?

              

She had lived long enough to see history repeat itself, and thus resigned herself to the inevitability that sooner or later, these people would cease to care. About her. About themselves. About everything that doesn't fit within the paradigm of the American dream. One night, as she stared at her ceiling, counting the fingerprints that she had left on its surface from trying to touch the night sky, she made the decision to draw arms. She made the decision to steel herself against the long painful deaths that were coming to relationships she'd been a fool to grow overly fond of.

              

Long live our dreams, she thought. Long live our ideals and our brazenness. Long live the promises we had made to one another and to ourselves. Long live our secrets, but may the truth someday set us free.

              

Long live the quiet girl who often wanted to be left alone. The phone was ringing. It was the Universe, calling collect.  

© 2012 C.F. Boehlke


Author's Note

C.F. Boehlke
Anchors away, girls and boys!

Photo credit: www.miriadna.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As with your other story, I found this one pretty good as well. My one glaring revision would be the word unindetured... to me it felt more appropriate to use the term indentured... rather than place the un on it.

Now here is a piece of advice I will give you that you can take or leave, it will help you in the long run though. It is obvious through your writing that you are educated, your use of vocabulary reflects that edcation... however, not every reader will also have that level of vocabulary. Sometimes we write and forget that not everyone has our level of education... I have a Masters degree and am married to a former English major turned History major... I can comprehend the vocabulary, but if you are trying to reach a broader audience, you may want to reconsider some of the vocabulary you use... not many will take the time to look up words they are unfamilar with and will just stop reading. If you are writing for a more high brow audience, that's fine, but if you are looking for broad appeal and profitability, you may want to take this comment into consideration.

Also, I agree with invs's review... the character doesn't create enough of a personality that holds the reader's interest... do you have a great start... undoubtedly, but I would like to see you flesh this out to something larger that adds more detail to help hold your reader's attention... I think that would help a lot... I realize this was a flash fiction prompt, but now you can do more with it.

Hope this helps!



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I just love your writing C.F., you are poised to take flight! My only complaint is that it isn't longer, I want to know more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very mature and deep meaningful story that makes one really think!! One's inquisitiveness is drawn in and many assumptions are made from the indirect messages hidden between the lines. A girl misunderstood and her disappointments steel her for coming battles and future. Well written piece of art.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Finally life gives me a change read. Sorry it has taken me so long.

Nicely written, comes over rather poetic with a flowing rhythm.
Roarke and Skote1972 have many great points. Especially with the reader’s level that Skote1972 highlighted.

Love the end. It has a very coming of age feel to it.


Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice work, makes you wonder if she's real or just a projection.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very nicely written! I want to know more about this girl :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


well written. good story

Posted 12 Years Ago


As with your other story, I found this one pretty good as well. My one glaring revision would be the word unindetured... to me it felt more appropriate to use the term indentured... rather than place the un on it.

Now here is a piece of advice I will give you that you can take or leave, it will help you in the long run though. It is obvious through your writing that you are educated, your use of vocabulary reflects that edcation... however, not every reader will also have that level of vocabulary. Sometimes we write and forget that not everyone has our level of education... I have a Masters degree and am married to a former English major turned History major... I can comprehend the vocabulary, but if you are trying to reach a broader audience, you may want to reconsider some of the vocabulary you use... not many will take the time to look up words they are unfamilar with and will just stop reading. If you are writing for a more high brow audience, that's fine, but if you are looking for broad appeal and profitability, you may want to take this comment into consideration.

Also, I agree with invs's review... the character doesn't create enough of a personality that holds the reader's interest... do you have a great start... undoubtedly, but I would like to see you flesh this out to something larger that adds more detail to help hold your reader's attention... I think that would help a lot... I realize this was a flash fiction prompt, but now you can do more with it.

Hope this helps!



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is very well written, but i found it a bit frustrating in that it never stated what field of endeavor she was involved in (unless i missed it). i get that this isn't the point of the story, but you're asking readers to invest their interest in your character. having that question hovering over the entire reading took away from my interest. instead of being a real character i could care about, she was just a nebulous pawn put in a situation and it became about the situation, not the character. just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the theme/subject you approach. I'm an introvert, but some parts of me wants me to be extroverted, to show my potential. So I'm actually between both. Instead of being in between, my introverted/extroverted nature swings like an out-of-loop pendulum.
Since I actually feel for the character, you pretty much got things head-on.
(I don't know what's American Dream though)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Really good short story, nicely done

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

880 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2012
Last Updated on January 7, 2012
Tags: Sad, growing up, American dream, disillusioned, friendship, flash fiction, short story, general audience

Author

C.F. Boehlke
C.F. Boehlke

IN



About
Hi! I am a recent college graduate and Second Place Author in the January 2012 Short Story Contest at Fresh Ink Group. Soon-to-be married, she dreams of seeing audiences worldwide have access to her w.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Polaris Polaris

A Story by Alana McGuire