Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

Every once in a while I just write in no particular format, don't edit hardly anything and post it. Just raw thoughts. These came as I was sitting on my porch thinking all alone.

"

If I could capture this moment... this time of my life, it would probably look something like a statue of a broken man... blunt in hand and a beer in the other staring up at passing clouds that turn to a clear night and stars wondering where do I go from here? How do I move forward with life? Right now I'm slowly deteriorating like decaying wax in a candle jar and my life is melting before my eyes. I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine. Even the small ant that slowly crawls up my leg as I write this is chasing a bigger dream than I.... the ant thinks about reaching the top as I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become? It’s time to get up and grasp a dream and start chasing with a full head of steam. I just hope I don't hit the ground too hard when I fall... but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know your thoughts please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love all the imagery, it's like I'm there with you, sinking except, well it's never too deep. I haven't reached the bottom, or I have and I'm okay with it? So what if we have dreams in life, and what is next for us after we've reached our goals, Life is pointless no matter how big or small our dreams are. Sinking in the void that is left by this life we had no word in is only natural, we don't know what we are doing here, it's an endless circle, dreaming and feeling like we could fly, then losing hope and sinking to the bottom of despair, either way, it's absurd.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make a great point Luna :) Sometimes you are damned at the top and damned at the bottom... I gu.. read more



Reviews

in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

A very thoughtful piece but I would like to to add … one can sink or swim yes but there is also turning up to the sky an floating. All that an without my coffee … lol.

Keep'em coming, Aaron:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Pryde... appreciate all your reviews :)
this is a swell read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you... appreciate the comments :)
Well written Aaron. I liked the idea

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Terrence
When people fall to the bottom,they have nothing to lose but everything to gain.That is the time when people need to motivate themselves.Loved the way you describe it in your last few lines.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Mayank... you're right once we lose everything we are our most dangerous... willing to tak.. read more
I love your thoughts here Aaron, you mostly wrote what everyone thinks of when they are alone. I hope things are better now. I am currently sinking, just about to take a swim...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you my friend... and for your swim... just keep treading and things will get better :) I am g.. read more
Nice soliloquy, I think it was Shakespeare who said mad men don't rant and rave they free their soul with words of contempt for the things beyond their control. I bet your soul felt very light after you wrote this, okay it wasn't Shakespeare it was me but I don't have the credentials he has and it sounds like something he would have said, don't you think? :~)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

haha I was like damn Shakespeare got it right lol... it's very true many times I write and get it ou.. read more
I enjoy these wonderful layers of reflection. A mindful piece about oneself almost looking from above, from a new angle that is hard for many to sit in...I like your contemplation, its very dreamy. "in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity." Your ending was a gem, I think it was the most meaningful way you could have chosen to end. Great work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much miss jellycat :) I appreciate your review
such a lovely poem,reversing the common consequence------its starts from bottom and goes all the way to the top.Wow,the ant has always been a constant source of inspiration since ages.I love these crawlies;D
Plus,once again as i would say,an emotional lovely writeup tinged with maximum amount of motivation for the day:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you my friend... the ant part really stuck out to me as I was writing it which was true and ac.. read more
Wow, you wrote exactly what I have been through many times....life will break you down until you have nothing, feel nothing...all that is left is to wait and hope for something normal, something familiar. However, familiar is relative; when things become that drastic in your life, you change, as do many things around you. So, perhaps, familiar is no longer, your reality shifts and now you are focused on something new and more positive? Or you are still waiting for a person, or a life event that will somehow bring you up from the depths of pain and suffering, and that you will have another chance, a fresh start.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

I guess I'm searching for some normalcy... life has changed quite a bit recently so I guess I comple.. read more
Awesomeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! I honestly enjoy reading your writings!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you Leena... if I remember right this is one of my raw just emotion filled writes. I like thes.. read more
Leena Madhuri

8 Years Ago

thats great! no matter what you write and however you write, it just is beautiful!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2615 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel