Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim

A Poem by AaronFreitas
"

Every once in a while I just write in no particular format, don't edit hardly anything and post it. Just raw thoughts. These came as I was sitting on my porch thinking all alone.

"

If I could capture this moment... this time of my life, it would probably look something like a statue of a broken man... blunt in hand and a beer in the other staring up at passing clouds that turn to a clear night and stars wondering where do I go from here? How do I move forward with life? Right now I'm slowly deteriorating like decaying wax in a candle jar and my life is melting before my eyes. I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine. Even the small ant that slowly crawls up my leg as I write this is chasing a bigger dream than I.... the ant thinks about reaching the top as I observe and wallow in self-pity and wonder what could have been. Well.... what can become? It’s time to get up and grasp a dream and start chasing with a full head of steam. I just hope I don't hit the ground too hard when I fall... but I will get back up and keep chasing that dream because in life we sink or swim and I've already sunk to the bottom... all that's left is to lightly tread back to some familiarity.

© 2015 AaronFreitas


Author's Note

AaronFreitas
Let me know your thoughts please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love all the imagery, it's like I'm there with you, sinking except, well it's never too deep. I haven't reached the bottom, or I have and I'm okay with it? So what if we have dreams in life, and what is next for us after we've reached our goals, Life is pointless no matter how big or small our dreams are. Sinking in the void that is left by this life we had no word in is only natural, we don't know what we are doing here, it's an endless circle, dreaming and feeling like we could fly, then losing hope and sinking to the bottom of despair, either way, it's absurd.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

You make a great point Luna :) Sometimes you are damned at the top and damned at the bottom... I gu.. read more



Reviews

Wowwwww! I luvvvvvvv this story! :)
I had a big smile when I thought for a second that you were describing me! The part when you wrote "I've got to get up and do something with myself instead of wondering how to categorize these thoughts of mine," this describes me Aaron! :)
I love how you used the ant as part of your story. The whole story was motivating, well done Aaron! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Haha thanks Madison :) I am glad you can relate to those words and thoughts. It's funny I was sitt.. read more
Well penned!
Really cool title and great expression and heart
shown in this piece:) You know I'm praying for you
my friend, thanks for sharing and b-blessed!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Thank you James... you are a great friend. Appreciate it buddy :)
I think you just took a different approach to the same thought I did today. The difference is age. When I'm a lazy SOB, I just blame it on age. You my friend don't have that excuse. But then again you could use the I young and don't know yet. Well you and I have both read your writing and we know you know the correct answer and direction to go. Everything in it's time my friend. "Rome was not build in a Day". Nice free run of your mind.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

I read yours and thought the same thing... two similar writes. Mine... well I was sitting on my por.. read more
Did you happen to bring a spare air tank with you. we might need it to stay at different levels so we do not get the bends when I bring you up cause you way down there boy. Next thing, Take those rocks out of your pockets as that will help up get you to the top as well. When I get you to the top, I am gonna turn you over to cousin JayCee to polish you up all over and make you shine like a nature boy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

haha thanks a lot Raj :) Your words brightened my day buddy
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
I really like your writing, Aaron. It's deep and yet so open. You're not alone in these thoughts. Many people feel the same way and you make them feel a little less singled out. Purpose...everyone wants one. Perhaps yours is reaching out to everyone who's afraid to :) This was deeply penetrating, dear poet

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Possibly... any purpose is good. I appreciate your feedback and kind words :) Thank you lynn
When you find yourself at the bottom my friend there is only one way to go, and that is up. That you are writing about it tells me that you want to move forward... I hope your anchors don't keep you down too long... be well and keep your head pointed towards the surface...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

Appreciate the support FT... up is the only way to go :)
....................

8 Years Ago

Yes, my friend. and it is a good way... grab on to all that you can to help you get to that surface... read more

9
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2616 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 24, 2015

Author

AaronFreitas
AaronFreitas

CA



About
I love to write, most my work tends to be on the darker side. I write from my heart and tend not to mess with it too much. I guess sometimes I write and post without focusing on what everyone else w.. more..

Writing
Reality Reality

A Poem by AaronFreitas



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel