Time as vapor

Time as vapor

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

From chapter 11 of An owl on the moon...

"






























     The crisp air dances with the darkness, as winter haunts this autumn evening. My eyes are weary from weeping, for though some in this life see only glory, I see only the grave. The night wrestles with my sorrow, and I work behind my counter with a steady, deadening pace. Perhaps, I will forget. She may never come this way again, that spirited angel. In her words I tasted the vitality of mortal confession. As I work around my cluttered desk, the boney fingers of this cold night scrape the windows of Idler Inn.        

     My glared, cold vision fills with her dark hair and lily face.  Her eyes, a sallow olive hue, appear as pools in stone with no hopeful reflections.  I taste iced iris as it begins to snow.

     “I had to come back.  I couldn’t go on out there. In my wandering I have merely wasted my moments, for I have no rest but here; no home,” she says.

 

“Paradise with poverty.

Meaning without history.

What wasteful ways have I;

I recline and shudder as time goes by.”

 

     “Friend,” she says, “My dearest friend, let me taste the salt and shake under the sea wind.  Give me the key to the top of the stairs.  The veiled room.”  Her eyes dart and dash as her breathing comes shallow and her hands shift and shake.  She steps closer to me.  “What haunted photographs dim my view this moment.  What does it mean that I can only see yesterday?  Cannot God give even me a brighter tomorrow?   I have wasted on life’s stage for so long I don’t know how to live, only how to act.  And the curtain is now descending.”

     I turn away to grasp her key.

     And she, “Don’t avert your gaze from me...So many do.”  Her hand grasps my shoulder and I turn back to gaze into her trembling eyes.  “Is there no warm blood in your cold heart?  I realize that we only have desires because they are meant for some human or divine fulfillment.

 

Extend to me your hand.

I need what I do not understand.

Don’t you see?

All hollows exist to be filled.

Without life in the chasm, our spirit is killed.”

 

     I extend to her my hand and place in hers a key.  Her fingers are warm and soft.  With her key in hand she drifts by in silence on winged feet.  She turns and passes from my vision at the top of the stairs without once glancing back. 


© 2018 An owl on the moon


Author's Note

An owl on the moon
From chapter 11 (November) in my book: "An owl on the moon." The end draws near...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Paradise with poverty.
Meaning without history.
What wasteful ways have I;
I recline and shudder as time goes by.”

So deep and with so much meaning in these few words.
Without History we are no one at all. Our lives revolve around History.
I think we all should shudder as time goes by...
There's a lot to learn from each other and as well as history

Posted 5 Years Ago


we do always beg and plead in the ending ...one more try, one more look, one more love, one more breath...this makes me hold mine...to hide it...to keep it...and isnt that just the same...there should be peace in it...fufillment...i guess we have not traveled far enough yet....

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

I always appreciate your presence, your insights, dear poet. Yes, there is that everlasting aching, .. read more
"we only have desires because they are meant for some human or divine fulfillment."
Ah, so true. In a way, those desires are our downfall as well as what keeps us going. ..
I love the aura of this write. Strong imagery, as always. And I can't wait to read the end :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Ah, Yumna, thank you for understanding every thread, every thought. Wishing you now such a magnifice.. read more
I have wasted on life’s stage for so long I don’t know how to live, only how to act. And the curtain is now descending.”

Mmmm so true...you have capture human emotions so beautifully Craig...And I love the above lines.... Her sadness is so palpable ...
Ah and December almost ready to knock the doors...

Posted 5 Years Ago


An owl on the moon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your kindness, and for returning to this darkening path each week. The ending is near,.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

434 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 31, 2018
Last Updated on October 31, 2018

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..