WHEN I WAS A CHILD�

WHEN I WAS A CHILD�

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Thoughts that came to me after the Fort Hood shootings� longing for peace�

"

When I was a child,

it’s strange,

I know,

but no one ever died,

and the world

was yellow…

All the families

were happy…

and each sunrise

brought bright

enchantments…

Oh… I argued every

now and then

with my friends

but in minutes

it was all forgotten

and we were back

saving the world again

together…

I didn’t hear

all the yelling

in my neighbor’s house

when darkness fell…

I didn’t know

that my friend’s father

shot his mother

than killed himself…

I didn’t realize

all the pain

I would feel

as day turned

to night

and my tattered

memories turned

deep gray…

Maybe I was blind

when I was a child…

Maybe I was a fool

to see only

happy faces

feel only

the warmth

of friendship

in the world

around me.

Or perhaps

maybe I

saw things

I simply can

no longer see…

Maybe each

new sunrise

really is enchanted

and somehow

we all need

to come back

across ten

thousand

scarlet skies…

Maybe there can

be a world

filled with peace…

I want to believe it…

When I was a child

it’s strange

I know…

No one ever died…

 

© 2009 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is true what they say that ignorance is bliss... amazing what you realize when your innocence is first tainted by the world... things you see now from when you were young... that is why a kids can have an endless imagination because their is no pain of failure holding them back... great poem... very nostalgic.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this one, so simple so powerful , I will add a pray for safe place , yes when we were child we didnt know all , maybe , just maybe that was the right way , for us ... thank you Yossi

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is simply magic. I wish I had the emotion yov had when yov were a child. When I was a child I knew that everyone died.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Maybe it's nature's way of protecting the young, but I think our lack of understanding protects us from much of the ugliness when we're small. I just wish we could remain so impervious. Nice work, Craig.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

To go back to the days when all was right with the world and you lived in a perpetual land of enchanted tomorrows. The protection we were afforded as a child seems to last very briefly in todays world. We the children of yesterday brought into existence the children of today, as the ones before us gave us life. Tunnel vision comes with adulthood. As a child you see the vastness of the universe and cannot wait until you are old enough to explore it. Then comes the tunnel when our focus becomes narrowed and our ability to see things in different views seems to fly away to neverland leaving us stranded without those wonderful sensations and thoughts we believed would always be part of our lifes. Wonderful writing about the coming of age and the sadness that it brings. Will not try to quote a favorite line. To do so would disturb the flow of innocence this beautiful carries.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What can you say? People lose innocence with experience, and forget to look at the good things. Haha, sometimes that's a good thing though. Still, sometimes it's not and it'd just be better to forget about all the dark black gunk that goes on outside in the real world. But of course we can't. *sighs*

I liked this poem. That's really all I can say.... good write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is so weird when you look back at your childhood and you realize how simple everything was. How everything was a game and everyone was a good person. I like this a lot. I like poems that make you reminisce about the past whether it be good or bad.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh how happy the days of childhood.And how i try to hide pain from my son .Thank you.
tate

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah, brother, the loss of innocence.................big sigh.........................

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think we all long for those days at times. Its nice to live in a little bubble and not realize all sorrow that fills the world and only see the good things. Your poem did a great job of touching on those times and also on how we all feel like something may be missing in us. Wonderful job on this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very deep piece and very well expressed.. it is weird when we are kids and everything seems so innocent and peaceful but we see a different world and notice more as adults... i do believe though that the world has turned into a darker place which I find to be rather sad... People just don't seem to care anymore and violence is becoming more of the answer... very nicely done... I think everyone can relate to the changes over the last couples of years in the world... but maybe there is still hope.. thanks for sharing this!!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2408 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 7, 2009
Last Updated on November 11, 2009

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..