WHEN I WAS A CHILD�

WHEN I WAS A CHILD�

A Poem by An owl on the moon
"

Thoughts that came to me after the Fort Hood shootings� longing for peace�

"

When I was a child,

it’s strange,

I know,

but no one ever died,

and the world

was yellow…

All the families

were happy…

and each sunrise

brought bright

enchantments…

Oh… I argued every

now and then

with my friends

but in minutes

it was all forgotten

and we were back

saving the world again

together…

I didn’t hear

all the yelling

in my neighbor’s house

when darkness fell…

I didn’t know

that my friend’s father

shot his mother

than killed himself…

I didn’t realize

all the pain

I would feel

as day turned

to night

and my tattered

memories turned

deep gray…

Maybe I was blind

when I was a child…

Maybe I was a fool

to see only

happy faces

feel only

the warmth

of friendship

in the world

around me.

Or perhaps

maybe I

saw things

I simply can

no longer see…

Maybe each

new sunrise

really is enchanted

and somehow

we all need

to come back

across ten

thousand

scarlet skies…

Maybe there can

be a world

filled with peace…

I want to believe it…

When I was a child

it’s strange

I know…

No one ever died…

 

© 2009 An owl on the moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is true what they say that ignorance is bliss... amazing what you realize when your innocence is first tainted by the world... things you see now from when you were young... that is why a kids can have an endless imagination because their is no pain of failure holding them back... great poem... very nostalgic.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I surmise that you and I are about the same age. Whatever went on among families was usually hush-hush, if you know what I mean, but I agree we did have an innocent way of viewing the World. Perhaps because our parents were not as open and honest with us at that time. We grew up believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny...

I do know that my generation walked around and rode our bikes everywhere, unafraid that a pervert was stalking us on the nearest street corner. Today, my son is forced to remain home because of that very safety issue. Riding bikes has become obsolete, except in a gym, of course. There is a park near our home called 'Flagpole Hill', and a group of us as teens would build a big bonfire atop and sledride up and down...walk back up and sledride down....tills all hours of the night. We arrived home with frozen toes and fingers....but we were safe. My son or daughter couldn't have ever done that, so they're missing a great deal in terms of closeness to nature and the like. You know, appreciating simple beauty.

Oh, what you describe happened, my dear friend although not at your home, at others. I believe you are saying that we need to bring back our once-innocent natures....the uncondotional love we felt as children.
I think as a child, the concept of 'death' is not fully proccessed; therefore, doggies and kitties go to animal heaven....and the handsome prince rides off with his love as they live happily ever after.

But what a concept if each sunrise was, indeed, enchanted.... I read the last line, and I am silent...



Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I agree with every word. I don't know when you were a child but I suspect there was a brief window of relative tranquility between about 1945 and 1965, despite the peculiar balance of MAD. 1989 was supposed to be a great date for freedom, but the fragmentation and instability have increased markedly since then on a micro level. There are intense rivalries afoot now and the old power balances are shifting. And at the heart of much of this Israel-Palestine. My gut feeling is that that is at the root of so much of this. Meanwhile good people hope and pray for peace. Water? Oil? Six billion, nine billion, twelve billion? I agree with every word.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Craig,
There is a veil of protection on our eyes when we are children. Tragedy can be a fleeting glimpse in our lives (by the grace)when we are children. I think this is the makers way of keeping it possible for us to grow. If the effects in our childhood were as deeply felt as adults, we may all stay suspensed in a state of "childhood". I adore your immense sense of hope in this piece. In the wake of this horrible tragedy, I too would love to return to those days of hiding in the closet playing hide-n-go-seek versus counting to ten for the world to heal. i have rambled a bit here, but I am profoundly affected by all of this destruction of my brothers and sisters.


I add to the other stars to make this a 10,000 star piece!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is amazing! There's something about the innocence of childhood that I miss- living in ignorant happiness, pretending, make belive with friends... It's something we all wish we could hold onto as we grow up, but the harsh realities of the world tear us down. Tough world.

"Maybe each
new sunrise
really is enchanted
and somehow
we all need
to come back
across ten
thousand
scarlet skies�"

I loved this imagery. The way I saw it- each sunrise is a chance for us all to bring back our inner child, to have that innocence while also carrying around the knowledge of what goes on around us. It's a way to wake up in the morning and realize you've "grown up" (something we were all anxious to do as kids) but still maintain your childhood.

I loved this Craig. 7,000 gold stars!!!



Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

So much is said in this write. Innocence is an amazing shield that somehow dissolves with age. When we were young the world seems so safe, like the yellow you mention. Such a sad occurance to be writing about. I think you have done it justice. Great Job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The golden years of childhood are seldom tainted by death but if it happens children seem to cope better than adults
My daughter and her husband are usually stationed at Fort Hood.I was very relieved to know they were In Heidelberg. It seems the psychiatrist was in need of psychiatric hep he didn't get

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

There is alot of truth to this. I think that is why children can cope with things adults can't. A child's perception is so thought out with imaginations and lack of seeing the reality of pain to some degree. Excellent job. I wished I could go back.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh! How I loved thsi write here, This is wo true really,
So well stated and so well written. I like write alot.


Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

It is true what they say that ignorance is bliss... amazing what you realize when your innocence is first tainted by the world... things you see now from when you were young... that is why a kids can have an endless imagination because their is no pain of failure holding them back... great poem... very nostalgic.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2404 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 7, 2009
Last Updated on November 11, 2009

Author

An owl on the moon
An owl on the moon

About
2024 is here... May we make it so much more heaven than hell... Wishing all peace on earth... Together, maybe we go the distance... The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..