Neon Noon

Neon Noon

A Story by Chadvonswan

Her reflection in the neon was colored and illuminating, and she caught herself on the glass but her eyes weren't illuminated, blacked out by a shadows shadow and pupils erupted fissures. 
She scratched her iris and contemplated her black coffee, stirred it with her silver spoon, watched it twist into the mouth of another galaxy. A man dropped his glass near her and the shattering of the silence and the cup broke her trance. She looked at the man who was now red faced and kicked pieces of the glass into a pile. He caught her looking at him and he said
“What are youuuu looking at?”
She said nothing but smiled.
“What are youuuu smiling at, broad?”
“The quiet time of day where the sun smiles back.”
He lit a cigarette and then started coughing up blood.
She smiled, “You're faking it.”
The man fell to the ground and died right then and there.
She started laughing.

Later that night she sat in front of the typewriter and stared at it thinking of nothing at all, and smoked a cigarette.
The books behind her teased her yet she couldn't summon anything.
At four she ate a salad. 
She had an orange with a cigarette and then washed her teeth. She went into the library which was located on the opposite side of the kitchen by the broken stained glass window. She sat on the red velvet chaise and resumed her reading of A Clockwork Orange next to a stuffed rooster. How is it, she thinks, can people be so cruel? But she laughs and then thinks karma will burn them. She lights a cigarette and ashes it into the open book. She does this until the butt is bare and the pages are on fire.

The typewriter is broken. 
She finds the modern laptop but throws it out her window when it asks for a password, livid  that the computer doesn't trust that it is her.

When Tuesday came she checked her mail. 
It was empty as usual but she had a feeling that there was going to be mail very soon. It was only noon, she thought. The moon was out, though, and that made her feel like a lunatic nevertheless. 
She went back to the typewriter but lit a cigarette before she even thought about touching the keys. 
She thought of the parallel existence of the mirrors reflection in front of her and looked into the other girls eyes and thought of the day she had laughed and subtly withdrew a kiss from the  mist, a french day in late September nineteen forty three but laughs when she sees his eyes reflected in her own, remembering the way he looked at her with his ominous but somehow capable glances, recalling the crimson cigs that he smoked at all times, dissipating his soul, red, out of his nostrils, and his eyes issuing the same color through his pupils, the red ghost, the pulmonary memory of yesterdays infinite. She started to write.

It rained heavily and gravely gray all throughout the next morning. She laughed and consumed the very soul of her life through the rain.  She decided to walk to the library in the rain with her little yellow umbrella.

The moon wasn't out, though.

© 2015 Chadvonswan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I laughed at the part where she threw her laptop out of the window, maybe I should do the same every time it mocks me and underlines words that are currently not in existence (yet)

Although I would need to build a net under the window, as money doesn't grow on smashed up pieces of motherboard. Although it would be a great feeling just to launch it out the window.

I think the story is great and am intrigued to know if the story she writes is the about the man in the restaurant or about her mysterious life. I guess it is up to the reader to decide for themselves.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Chadvonswan

8 Years Ago

Hey man I really appreciate the review
"She does this until the butt is bare and the pages are on fire." Masterful surreality. I notice this story is much more tame in regards to its language as compared to your other works of recent. While it is more tame, I found I had a much greater emotional response to it.
I still think that guy in the beginning was faking it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Chadvonswan

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Bridge. Im actually trying to turn this into a short film about some crazy broad... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 15, 2015
Last Updated on November 15, 2015

Author

Chadvonswan
Chadvonswan

The West, CA



About
CHADVONSWAN = MAX REAGAN [What's Write is Right] My book of short stories.. http://www.lulu.com/shop/max-reagan/thoughts- of-ink/paperback/product-22122339.html more..

Writing
Knot Knot

A Poem by Chadvonswan


For: For:

A Poem by Chadvonswan


Ego Eggs Ego Eggs

A Story by Chadvonswan