The Fire Within—An Original Urban Legend

The Fire Within—An Original Urban Legend

A Chapter by Steven Cash
"

Another Urban Legend folk

"

            In Alexandria, Virginia, on the corner of Temple and Market Street stands an antiquated storefront. It is a building dating back to the 1800s, as are most in that famed ‘Old Town’ area, but this one is the only one, on that block at least, with the distinction of being haunted.

            On a cold night in December 1882, when the storefront was Nelsons General Store, there was a particularly horrific event that went on. Albert Nelson and his family lived on the second floor above the store. It was just after midnight when Albert heard a noise in the store.

            He grabbed his riffle and prepared to head downstairs. Before doing so however, he told his wife and two sons to stay in the bedroom and lock the door.

            “Don’t come out,” he said, “No matter what you see or hear. I will let myself back in.”

            Albert headed down the stairs and into the store, where he found two hoodlums trying to get open the cash register.

            He shot once at the criminals, knocking over the gas lamp they held. Unfortunately, they shot back at Albert and killed him instantly. Even more tragic was the fact that the broken lamp grew a blaze that quickly engulfed the store.

            Upstairs, Mrs. Nelson and her sons waited, praying that Albert would return. He said he would come back.

            He never did.

            They never realized about the fire until they saw the smoke coming through the floorboards. As soon as they opened the doors too, the flames came into the room.

            They died shortly thereafter.

            It is said to this day by locals that anyone that visits that location, which is now a Wells Fargo Bank, could run into the ghosts of the Nelson family. While Mrs. Nelson and her sons are placid, Albert Nelson is said to be a vengeful spirit, seeking revenge on anyone who wants to cheat or steal from that place.

            The story was just folklore, or so assumed, until February 23, 2007 when a man came into that Wells Fargo Branch and attempted a robbery. He was quickly cornered by police, and tried to flee up the stairs to the second level�"which has since been converted into a vault among other things.

            When police arrived upstairs they found the would-be robber shot to death. But the coroner found the most unsettling details.

            One, he was shot to death with an 1800s rifle bullet.

            Two, his internal organs were charred and burned. The coroner said it was as if he were electrocuted.

            Or as if he’d died in a fire.

            People say the man met the same fate at the hands of Albert’s ghost. Seeing as Albert was first shot, then burned in the blaze

 



© 2012 Steven Cash


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. When I read this my bedroom was pitch-black (I've got another killer headache) and I got chills! This is fantastic! :)
Ps tonight I'm gonna catch up on my read requests (21 to go) and pretty much all of them are from you so I may not comment on everything you requested but just know that I read them. I swear. :)
And unless something like the vision thing happens again, I will not ever get behind again!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

thanks

and praying for ya girl!



Reviews

Wow. When I read this my bedroom was pitch-black (I've got another killer headache) and I got chills! This is fantastic! :)
Ps tonight I'm gonna catch up on my read requests (21 to go) and pretty much all of them are from you so I may not comment on everything you requested but just know that I read them. I swear. :)
And unless something like the vision thing happens again, I will not ever get behind again!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

thanks

and praying for ya girl!
owo this was very awesome i really liked it! the end was uber creepy!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

lol thanks!
Favorite one so far... this is fantastic. I love that you made the building a bank and added in the robbery and murder. That was awesome. Loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Wow, another wonderfully great and gripping piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

thanks Ahmad
very good and creepy but you fo an amazing job with everything you write

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Thank you much, Sierra
sierrasparks91

11 Years Ago

your welcome
Your write gives me goosebumps! Nice!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Violet Dreams...

11 Years Ago

or should i say thrilling!
Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much Violet!
hey this is awesome!!!!! very gripping..nice work.!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Thanks Melodie!
this is another great story... loved these lines, " When police arrived upstairs they found the would-be robber shot to death. But the coroner found the most unsettling details.
One, he was shot to death with an 1800s rifle bullet.
Two, his internal organs were charred and burned. The coroner said it was as if he were electrocuted.
Or as if he’d died in a fire.

Just messes with the mind...lol... well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Thanks lol
Wow, this gave me chittering goosebumps and fright O.O
Great work!
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


Steven Cash

11 Years Ago

Thank you much!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1442 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 16, 2012
Last Updated on September 16, 2012


Author

Steven Cash
Steven Cash

A Secret Location, IL



About
http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/changetheworld/1061316/ That's my poem. Goodbye everyone. Don't cry because it's over... smile because it happened... more..

Writing
Miss you Miss you

A Poem by Steven Cash



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Darkness Creeps Darkness Creeps

A Chapter by Pax


A GIRL'S LIFE A GIRL'S LIFE

A Poem by afra