Friends in Heaven

Friends in Heaven

A Story by C. Lee Battaglia
"

My imagination is good sometimes...

"

An old cowboy was riding his trusty horse followed by his faithful dog along an unfamiliar road. The man was enjoying the new scenery, when he suddenly remembered dying, and realized that the dog beside him had been dead for years, as had his horse.

Confused, he wondered what was happening, and where the trail was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall that looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch topped by a golden letter "H" that glowed in the sunlight. Standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like gold.

He rode toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. Parched and tired out by his journey, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'

'This is ranch, Heaven, sir,' the man answered.

'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.

 'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'

As the gate began to open, the cowboy asked, 'Can I bring my partners, too?'

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The cowboy thought for a moment, then turned back to the road and continued riding, his dog trotting by his side.

After another long ride, at the top of another hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a ranch gate that looked as if it had never been closed. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book. 'Excuse me,' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'

'Sure, there's a pump right over there. Help yourself.'

'How about my friends here?' the traveler gestured to the dog and his horse.

'Of course! They look thirsty, too,' said the man.

The trio went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with buckets beside it. The traveler filled a cup and the buckets with wonderfully cool water and took a long drink, as did his horse and dog. When they were full, he walked back to the man who was still standing by the tree. 'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.

'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'That's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'

'Oh, you mean the place with the glitzy, gold street and fake pearly gates? That's hell.'

'Doesn't it make you angry when they use your name like that?'

'Not at all. Actually, we're happy they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'

--------

Sometimes, we wonder why friends forward things without writing a word. Maybe this explains it: When you're busy, but still want to keep in touch, you can forward things. When you have something to say, but don't know how to say it, or... when you have nothing to say, but want to stay in contact, you can forward a story like this. A 'forward' lets you know you're still remembered, still important, still cared about. So. the next time you get a 'forward', realize you've been thought of and your friend on the other end just wanted to send you a smile.

P.S. You're welcome at our watering hole anytime.

© 2015 C. Lee Battaglia


Author's Note

C. Lee Battaglia
Leave me a review...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is the best story I've read in awhile! Haha that was cool, when the real man in Heaven said that he was happy Hell screened out people who would leave their best friends behind. That made me smile. Pretty much love everything about this one. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Thanks AMV! I'm greatful for the great comment!
A very good tale.
"'This is Heaven,' he answered.
'That's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'
'Oh, you mean the place with the glitzy, gold street and fake pearly gates? That's hell.'
'Doesn't it make you angry when they use your name like that?'
'Not at all. Actually, we're happy they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'"
You left us with some good wisdom. Above lines were perfect. I liked the test and the good ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Thanks coyote! I am greatful for your comment!
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome. I enjoy your stories and poetry.
C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

Thanks Coyote! I to enjoy your Poems!
I was confused at first when he was riding his horse, but this horse was dead. Consider describing the scenery a bit more. I remember wondering if grass went to Heaven when it died. Lots of grass dies, but I was told Heaven was infinite so I figured it ought to have room for grass too.

Well penned.

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

I'll do that! Thank you!
I love this and the moral at the end of the story really gave this magical touch to the story too
It is really good, I love it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Lee Battaglia

9 Years Ago

thanks dude!
Lizardo

9 Years Ago

You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2015
Last Updated on February 7, 2015
Tags: Friends, cowboys, distrust

Author

C. Lee Battaglia
C. Lee Battaglia

Alpine, UT



About
My name is C. Lee Battaglia and I love to read… I read so much that my Mom grounds me from reading and tells me to go do something else. I am 20 years old. I hated reading when I was little .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..