Never Quite There

Never Quite There

A Story by Chelsea Elizabeth

She takes my arm and we begin the long walk down the aisle. She's whispering something to me, laughing. I nod, not quite hearing what she's saying, not quite comprehending what she's trying to tell me, as I've done all the years of her life.

Never quite there. It hits me like a ton of bricks as she smiles and nods at long-time friends, young women whose faces I barely recognize, but who have no doubt spent more time in my own home than I have. There's one right there. She's smiling broadly at that one, so I decide I should make some indication that I recognize the person. And, I do, in a sense, but it's all through a haze. I never quite noticed who she brought home. I certainly couldn't tell you the person's name.

I nod discreetly. She's squeezing my arm now, in anticipation, as I walk her to our final destination. I'm giving her away to a man I barely know, not for lack of trying on his part, but because I've simply not put forth any effort to know about her life, to know her friends, to even know her fiance. And, now, I'm passing her on to this man I do not know, realizing all of a sudden that I should have more memories before she leaves me forever. That I should know more about this person I call my daughter. At this moment, she is little more than a stranger to me. And, I know that it's entirely my fault. Never quite there.

Her arm loosens and I release her. We're at the end of the aisle, of course, and she's supposed to stand at the front without me. With hollow words, I confirm that I'm giving her up, understanding now that she is no longer my girl. She's his.

Never quite there. I've lost my chance. And there's no way to get it back.

© 2008 Chelsea Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice piece. The realization finally hits the father over the head as he walks her down the aisle. For once in his life he has no choice but to face the facts and they show him how hollow his life is. I don't have anything bad to say about it. More of a character study or a piece of flash fiction than a short story. Flash, imho, is the hardest to write since you have so few words to get your ideas across. You do so wonderfully here and it's not forced on us. Thanks for posting.

Posted 16 Years Ago


At first I thought the person narrating was handicapped or something. It was a surprise to see the person just barely able to recognise the fact that this, his daughter is now someone else's bride. Is this the inside of a person with Alzheimer's, or someone suffering a brain injury? As such, it is poignant and heart wrenching. I have seen this type of mentality in men who are dying slowly. It is sad to see them lose connections in their families like this instance. I know someone who loved his daughter very much but hardly knew her on his deathbed. A normal person this detached from his daughter's life is a cad.

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 10, 2008

Author

Chelsea Elizabeth
Chelsea Elizabeth

TX



About
My name's Chelsea and I'm a college student. I'm also a Christian. I've been writing stories since I was pretty young and, at the age of 9 or 10 I decided I wanted to be an author. I have completed.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..