What's Your Value To The World?

What's Your Value To The World?

A Poem by Marie Harrison
"

A prose poem about life.

"

What’s Your Value To The World?

There’s nothing more frightening than when you realize down deep inside of your being that your existence makes little difference in the world.  When I say this,

I’m not saying that I don’t play a significant part in relationships with others or that I am contemplating suicide.  I’m just saying you can see how the world would continue turning without you in it and hardly skip a beat.

Maybe it’s my divorce that’s helped me see this.  I was a part of a couple for so long. But what matters the most is what you do once you come to grips with your value in a world that would do just fine without you?  Do you still choose to participate? Do you change your approach to participating?  How does that knowledge affect your priorities in life?

For me, it makes me want to participate in the world in a way the matters most to me.  It gives me freer reigns to really let go and start to make the most of my life while I’m in the world.  Instead of being obsessed with accumulating things and proving my value to the world.  I seemed to be obsessed with both of these activities before. Now it seems more important to start participating in the world more while I’m still here.

Even if you are famous and have a lot of things, after a few days of being dead you are soon forgotten. Life just continues.  After months of buying things they just get old and are a lot of work to take care of.  I’d rather take experiences and relationships with me when I depart this earth. I’d rather concentrate on what really matters.

 

© 2010 Marie Harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this, I've thought the same things so many times. It's the relationships and people we encounter in life that are significant, not the possessions we accumulate. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is nice. People are what matters in the end. Not those things that crumple into decay and leave absolutely nothing behind.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 12, 2010
Last Updated on September 12, 2010

Author

Marie Harrison
Marie Harrison

Atlanta, GA



About
Momma told me to get out and enjoy life, so now I'm going to dance. more..

Writing