Dream Chaser

Dream Chaser

A Chapter by Marie Harrison
"

A chapter about girl and eventually a woman who likes to pursue her dreams. Her history of doing this. What risks you take when you pursue your dreams.

"

Chapter 1 

Dream Chaser

 

Since my earliest days, I’ve been a dreamer.  I would get this vision of an urgent dream or goal in my head then I couldn't let it go.  I just had to conquer that dream or make it come true.  When I was seven, one summer I woke up and I decided that I wanted to learn to water ski that summer.

 

My desire to water ski was not normal.  I thought about it morning, noon and night.  I even dreamed about it while I slept.  All I could do was talk about it too!  I was just obsessed. 

 

Well that summer I traveled all the way to Houston, Texas to learn to water ski.  I ended up learning to water ski with my cousin Rhoda, who lived in Houston.  We went water skiing all summer long with her father on his boat. What fun we had that summer water skiing!

 

When my mind was set on something, I just had this urgency to accomplish my dream.  When I did tackle that dream and saw it come true, there was no other feeling like it.  I just got this ultimate adrenaline high.  Most of my dreams were rather adventurous.  I seem to always love the taste of adventure in my life.

 

For instance when I was in pre-school as a little girl, I had this little friend Kenny that I played with everyday.  He was a year older than I was. 

 

I found out one morning that Kenny was going to kindergarten that morning and I wasn’t supposed to go.  Well I wanted to go and that became my dream to go to kindergarten with Kenny. 

 

I ended up sneaking onto the bus and going to kindergarten with Kenny for the first two weeks of school.  I had a blast! Kindergarten was so much fun. 

 

I learned so much in those first few weeks of class.  I learned all of my alphabet,numbers, and I was starting to learn to read!  I learned to play four-square and volleyball too.  I became a leader of the cookie committee, that's how I got in trouble.  Mrs. Blue called my mother. 

 

In the end, I did get in big trouble when my Mother and my pre-school found out what I was doing. But it was worth it!  Kenny and I had the best time too. 

 

There’s always a risk involved with the pursuit of any dream.  You may not achieve your dream.  Or you may never be the same once you do achieve your dream.  Normal life may not taste as sweet, as when you are conquering your dreams in some way.

 

Fast forward to my adulthood, I had been working for several years in the corporate world after getting my degree.  My jobs were fine, but nothing too exciting happened. Adventure didn’t prevail in the corporate setting.  Because of this, I didn’t quiet feel happy.

 

This must have been a premonition of what was to come for me.  Because when I went to my marketing job at civil engineering firm that I worked at for the last year and a half, I was being laid off indefinitely. 

 

Immediately, I was relieved and overjoyed.  I took it as a sign that now I had the official head nod from the guy in charge upstairs, God.  Now I was free to embark upon the biggest journey of my life, to pursue my dream.

 

You see one morning that very week I had this dream of doing something that I absolutely loved and was excited about doing. Because I heard that if you do what you love, you will find great success.  Now I felt that the golden gates from above had separated the waters, so that I could have my opportunity to discover my dream.

 

So I started my journey and I set out to find what it was that I would love to do.  My mind was set.  I started a journal.  Every day I would devote an allotted amount of hours to finding my passion.  I wasn’t sure where this adventure would lead.

 

I prayed about it too.  Since my childhood, I had always been consistent about going to church regularly.  Every morning and every night, I would ask God to lead me to my calling. 

 

I wanted God to be a part of my process and my journey.  I thought of him as my most important business partner.  With God on my side who could be against me?



© 2010 Marie Harrison


Author's Note

Marie Harrison
I'm new at this, but I'm starting a book. We'll see where it goes. It's been in the back of my mind for a while. Why not start now? I have corrections to make on this still. Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good on you for starting to write your book. Keep it up, this part was very interesting, making me want to know more!

I loved this line:
"I took it as a sign that now I had the official head nod from the guy in charge upstairs, God."

Overall an excellent job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice start. I look forward to reading more to see how things begin to develop.

Posted 13 Years Ago


nice work! i sure enjoyed this chapter! this was a great starting chapter and i do hope to see more of this! keep the goods coming!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I wonder where this is going, and I wonder what the process is. There's all these flashbacks from various times, and I don't know yet how they are related or got to do with what her ultimate dream is. I wonder what Chapter 2 will be.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting... a pretty good chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think il read it later

Posted 13 Years Ago


A wonderful story and great advice given in such a way that it is a joy to receive that advice in such an enjoyable story. Great job, keep going.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Get out your notebook...make a time line...put your major ideas in the order you want and fill in the rest as it come to you, switching around your major ideas and flashbacks or forwards are a great help too ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice start! It really almost seems that you have the beginnings of a few different chapters here that you can expand on - keep going, girlfriend!

Posted 13 Years Ago


its so pretty! please carry it on! xNTx

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

814 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 28, 2010
Last Updated on December 28, 2010


Author

Marie Harrison
Marie Harrison

Atlanta, GA



About
Momma told me to get out and enjoy life, so now I'm going to dance. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ode To A Writer Ode To A Writer

A Poem by OT


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by OT