Roly Poly

Roly Poly

A Poem by Marie Harrison
"

A poem from the voice of a battered child

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roly Polly

Roly Poly

How you

Curl-up

Into a ball

In my small

Chubby hand

In self-defense

 

How I wish

I was so

Clever,

When night

Falls and

Daddy’s

Anger

Brings

Danger

To our

Warm

And

Comfy

Home

 

 

 

 

© 2011 Marie Harrison


Author's Note

Marie Harrison
Too many children are victims of domestic violence. I wrote this one night after volunteering at a children's shelter and seeing a child with a black eye.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how you bring in the child's projection imagination of how they want to be like that roly polly to escape from their abuse. It's short and to the point, perfect for a piece in the view of a child. It's a shame that such situations exist, but hopefully one day we as a human race will evolve above such brutish behavior.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A poem with a strong message. Children need to celebrate life. Not be afraid of a new day. I like how you made your point with the "Roly Polly". A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the way you wrote this a lot. The adolescent point of view, making the second part seem relatively simple, really makes the poem work perfectly. I also like the way you structured it. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh my... This is likely the most powerful and brilliant poem I have seen on this topic. The playfulness and childish innocence of a rolly-polly tied into such a sad and terrible reality.

A 10 on this one.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very well-written here, and to me that bitter contrast between the title and the verses of this one hammered home the point. this was very good work on such a topic. good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is puts an adult subject into a child's point of view. Well done and I could actually picture a child saying something like this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
so sad! and a very real issue! i like the way you've subverted a game and given it a whole new meaning!! very good!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very sad and you're so right. I often wonder how that can be?

Posted 13 Years Ago


That is so sad and the write is greatly expressed

Posted 13 Years Ago


truly sad

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

855 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 5, 2011
Last Updated on January 5, 2011

Author

Marie Harrison
Marie Harrison

Atlanta, GA



About
Momma told me to get out and enjoy life, so now I'm going to dance. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ode To A Writer Ode To A Writer

A Poem by OT


Black Swan Black Swan

A Poem by OT


Trouble Trouble

A Poem by Tate Morgan