A letter to me.

A letter to me.

A Story by Chiquita
"

I was invited to participate in a contest in which you write a letter to yourself and send it back to yourself in time. The question was posed, what would you tell yourself to alter your future. Would you give yourself the winning lottery numbers? Woul

"

Hey kid,

This is me, actually you.  It is us in the future.  I am writing to you to let you know that it will be all right. 

I am thinking that perhaps you are not quite sure this isn’t a prank of some sorts.  I was there and dreamed the dream that let us know that Paws was happy where he was.  I was sad to know he would not be coming home to us but comforted to know he was ok.  God talked to us in that dream.  Ok so maybe we told someone about that dream and this could be them pulling a fast one. 

Hhhmmm...Oh yes, I know what we did to Pumpkin and Angel.  I know we have never told anyone about that.  It will go to our death with us. 

I am unable to explain how I can write this to you from 21 years in the future.  There is a great power held in being able to do this.  I could help us avoid so much pain and woe.  I could give you next weeks lottery ticket numbers and change our future.   That would change who I am today.  I like who we have become.

You hold many dreams of the future.   The dreams will be dashed against a cruel rocky shore.  Your life will become unrecognizable to you.  Hang in there kid.  It makes us who I am.  I will not give you information to change what is to come.  I only offer support and comfort. 

Do not be angry at God.   Be angry as hell at religion and it’s people.  Love God and know that He will be with you even when you can not feel him there.  He loves you.  He is still creating who you are to become.  He holds a hammer and a chisel and is carving you into me.   He holds the same hammer and chisel here in the future.  He is still carving away  that which is unpleasant and creating who we will be tomorrow and in the ever after. 

Your tears will be many.  Hold on tight.  Know that in the future you are beautiful.  You are strong, smart, funny, and kind but nobody’s fool. 

Be cautious on how you judge others.  I can tell you this with out fear of changing the future because I know you now better than I knew you then.  It will take years of carving before that advice will change us.   This is why I am going to allow the agony that I know awaits us.  If I were to allow us to have all that we wish for as you read this letter, we would become someone that is not beautiful, nor strong, smart, funny nor kind.  We would remain a fool. 

Trust God.  Endure the hammer.  Long for the chisel that will allow us to become me.  You are here with me just as I am there with you.  You will like yourself better in 21 years than you do today. 

Today we are blonde and almost thin.  We are in love.  I won’t tell you what we do for work and where we do it because you would not believe me.   I will tell you that we love it and you will be surprised.  We still love old houses and live in an old victorian with a view of a river that is under tidal influence.  It is beautiful.  There is a willow tree in the back yard. 

You should not have been trying to read this while driving. 

Hold on because you are in for one hell of a ride.  Keep us safe.  Have faith.  Become strong.  Become me. 
 

© 2008 Chiquita


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

WOW this letter was awesome you are a very good writer. Yes it would be great to be able to write a letter to myself when I was a child. But I too wouldn't change a thing.
You did a great job in expressing yourself especially in the eye view of how a child would read it. Knowing the child was you, Great job and keep up the great work of writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is good stuff! It's so easy to get caught up in temporal situations, but sometimes we have to try to catch a glance through or prophetic periferal to see exactly where we will end up! Keep on inspiring, this is GOOD material! Happy New Year!

Posted 16 Years Ago


I will go ahead and give you a perfect review as I will everyone who submitted. Right now i am copying and printin these letters and will spend the this weeking finding out which are the best. After I've done this I will come back and give a second review which will be more in depth.

Thanks Dave

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is utterly beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes. You are so right, the advice you give and about how we have to go there to get here. You did an outstanding job on this challenge, and I'd be very surprised if anyone out-did you. In any case, it's not really about the competition, it's about the heart, and yours is very wise. Thanks for this piece, it touched me today.

Posted 16 Years Ago


One hell-of-a write. What an amazing gift this would be!

Posted 16 Years Ago


What a wonderful write, knowing that in this letter you could have told yourself to change one thing.... and yet you chose to give comfort to yourself, being happy with who you have become in life. That is an amazing quality and strength you have there. I loved this inspiring letter to yourself, and yet it could have been to any one, letting them know that no matter the mistakes, wrong turns in life that they should "hang in there" because it makes them who they will become. Well Done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wow - I have chills up and down my entire body. This is an amazingly insightful letter. I seriously loved it.
Beautiful job.

"Your life will become unrecognizable to you. Hang in there kid. It makes us who I am."

Into my favorites, 100%

Posted 16 Years Ago


A well written letter to yourself ~ i like how you let yourself
know to have faith and it's all in God's hands as far as the
future is concerned~WelL DonE!!~Fran Marie

Posted 16 Years Ago


Oh I APPLAUD you...this is profound and awesome. I love the tone you use, the comment about the chisel....so many wonderful moments in this. I love the way you keep telling yourself to hang on. and the last line...become me....for some reason this thing made me tear up...and cry. Nice work Chiquita

Posted 16 Years Ago


I agree! God only gives us trials he knows we can handle and we always come out a better person for it. I really enjoyed this look inside your life...I am sure the 'kid' is proud of you...you are proud of you. Lovely letter :)

Posted 16 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

480 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2008

Author

Chiquita
Chiquita

About
My 40th year has begun. I have started my life over many times. I find myself in a place where I am starting over yet again. I hope that my writing will find a place in my new life. I have fancied.. more..

Writing
Contemplation Contemplation

A Story by Chiquita



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..