The Shell

The Shell

A Story by Chloe Sidwell
"

Ponderings at the beach

"

The Shell


Her slight fingers grazed the chalky outside of the shell. Only yesterday she had plucked it from the  gleaming seawater. She took it because it was beautiful. It had caught her eye while she was standing in the shallow surf. It had a spiral shape like a snail shell, so petite and perfect, but the real attraction had been its colour. Dark, forest green, merging with ivory, which then collided with the most brilliant section of opal. Its surface seemed to reflect countless rainbows and hold the secrets of the deep sea. So she took it. In her pocket the water came off her little piece of treasure, and the next day, it was sitting on her table. It now looked sad, alien almost, no longer holding the beauty it once had. The surface was no longer smooth, it felt grotty on her fingertips. The shell did not gleam like it did yesterday, for it had no means by which to prosper. The sea was where it truly belonged. Where it could glisten in the water and hold the secrets of the sea. How could she possibly expect the shell to have all of its former splendour without the water in which it relied upon? She picked up the shell once more, to slip it into her pocket, but this time, she was going to let it gleam.

© 2016 Chloe Sidwell


Author's Note

Chloe Sidwell
this is my first story, so feel free to leave a comment, I'm looking to improve!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. As a short story, you managed to explain everything without just giving it all away immediately...show not tell, I believe. Your use of colors when it comes to description is very strong. :) I hope to see more from you in the future.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chloe Sidwell

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Added on January 13, 2016
Last Updated on January 13, 2016
Tags: calm, beach, prose, short, beginner, fiction, summer

Author

Chloe Sidwell
Chloe Sidwell

Melbourne, Australia



About
Hey! My name's Chloe and I'm a 14 year old girl who lives in Australia. I love to read and sometimes in crazy creative bursts I'll write something, so this is my place to share the weird stuff in my b.. more..

Writing
Answer Answer

A Poem by Chloe Sidwell