Five Souvenirs

Five Souvenirs

A Story by Chrys Marie
"

Souvenirs of you and me.

"
                         item one: a ballpoint pen
On the very first day of school, I came late into class. With nothing but a small bag, a notebook, a bottle of water, and a fazed mind, I took the nearest empty seat. God knew how fast my heart raced when I realized I forgot my pen and the teacher had asked the class to write something down, but I feared my heart would leap out from my chest when I felt a tap on my shoulder. From there, I glanced at the person seated behind me, and that was when I first saw your face. A smile curved your lips, your outstretched arm was reaching out a ballpoint pen to me. "May I?" I asked, taking it from your hand. "It's yours," you answered me.
                         item two: a withered leaf

Autumn came fast, as fast as you came into my life. We were strolling down the road where the winds blew hardest, our voices blending with the autumn breeze. I could not forget the sweet melody it created when you threw your head back in laughter as nature whistled along to make a harmonious melody. A dry, red leaf had gotten tangled up with my hair and I hadn't noticed. It was only after you recovered that you removed it and gave it to me. "Keep it, red looks good on you." I listened and have kept it ever since.
                         item three: a receipt

You knew how much I loved words written with ink, the smell of paper and the feel of it beneath my fingertips. I lacked the artistry to compose my own lines so I relied on the works of others instead. There was a book I once longed for desperately, and you caught me one day staring in longing at the book store as we passed it by. I hadn't known of the job you took for three months to earn the money I needed but didn't have. But one afternoon, you presented me with the book wrapped in parcel. I was furious before I was thankful. "Because I hate seeing you sad," you explained to me when I asked you why you had done it. You told me I owed you nothing but I owed the world to you. I asked for the receipt that day to remind me so every single day. 
                         item four: a secret

We reached the point where we didn't stop our little talks even after midnight had passed. Be it about homework, our mundane lives, gossip and rumors, nonsense our tired brains spewed, I didn't mind and you didn't seem to either. Until one night, you asked me to tell you a secret. A secret for a secret. I was reluctant at first but who wouldn't be? But I knew you and I trusted you, so I told you. I unrolled the sleeves of my sweater and brought to sight the scars of lines scratched across my wrists. I showed you where I used to bleed at torn seams. Then it was your turn. "I think I love you," you told me that night. But I didn't want that to be a secret.
                         item five: a love letter

A letter to confess my love for you. A letter to tell you of the times I adored you the most. A letter that will never reach you now that you've left my side. This is it. I had never found the right words during the right times and that must be my greatest regret. These words that I have poured onto paper will now never be read by your eyes, or anyone else's for that matter. These words that have been sealed away by my cowardice all those years will now never reach your ears. All that's left to do now is to keep all of these in a box to, hopefully, soon forget. Because that's all we are, a box of memories and mementos fated to be kept in the dark for all time. I have a lot of regrets but at the same time, I don't. I'm happy I forgot my pen on the first day of school. I'm happy I walked with you during a cold, autumn day. I'm happy I felt sad for a period of time only to be cheered up by you. I'm happy I showed you the person used to be. I'm happy that I knew you, that I loved you. Because I'd rather had loved you for a day than not having known you for an eternity. My only wish now is for you to be happy, wherever you are. For in due time, I know I will be, too. Just not now, not today.

© 2016 Chrys Marie


Author's Note

Chrys Marie
So I decided to try master writing short stories as well. This is the second one I've posted on this site. Please do leave your thoughts and criticism on it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Aw! So many thoughts went through my mind when I read this. At first, when I was reading the pen part, I was like THATS SO CUTE. Then by the end of that I knew something beautiful was starting to happen! When I read the leaf one it made me smile I loved it so much. The way you wrote about the book in the third paragraph was VERY beautiful. Some of my favorite lines are in there. The secrets paragraph was very heartfelt and emotional. You painted a very sad story within that bit of writing. Then that unexpected cut to the last paragraph.. That was heart breaking. I really like how the ending is not full of revenge, but sorrow and hope. Truly this short was beautiful. Thank you for sharing, and I think your shorts have great potential!


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chrys Marie

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, your feedback means a lot to me!



Reviews

Aw! So many thoughts went through my mind when I read this. At first, when I was reading the pen part, I was like THATS SO CUTE. Then by the end of that I knew something beautiful was starting to happen! When I read the leaf one it made me smile I loved it so much. The way you wrote about the book in the third paragraph was VERY beautiful. Some of my favorite lines are in there. The secrets paragraph was very heartfelt and emotional. You painted a very sad story within that bit of writing. Then that unexpected cut to the last paragraph.. That was heart breaking. I really like how the ending is not full of revenge, but sorrow and hope. Truly this short was beautiful. Thank you for sharing, and I think your shorts have great potential!


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chrys Marie

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, your feedback means a lot to me!
This story is simply beautiful. It makes me wonder what inspired you to write this one. I admire you for challenging yourself by working on other forms of writing. Good job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the title, and how the chapters unfold tied to each item that survived in that box, tucked away. It is a tragic story, told beautifully, in an easy flowing rhythm in which I can hear your voice. A voice that is still sad, filled with regret and longing, still alone. The most tragic line: "Because that's all we are, a box of memories and mementos fated to be kept in the dark for all time." There is a ring to this that says not just the "we" of your friend and you" but the "we" of humanity- one box after another, gathered treasures in the dark, stacking up in the basement. That's where I went with that line. Haunting and beautiful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the format the story is told and its fascinating to read in a different style of writing. In a critique, there are a few things that need capitalization, but that may been a style choice.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a beautiful tragic love story!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 24, 2016
Last Updated on July 29, 2016

Author

Chrys Marie
Chrys Marie

QC, Philippines



About
ʙʀᴜɪsᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴋʏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ sᴛᴀʀs I'm a sixteen year old stud.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Story by Chrys Marie